* * * * * 1 votes

Fixing my brothers UC hatch

• Please log in to reply
1690 replies to this topic

#1451 _AD_75_

_AD_75_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:32 PM

Do those bumpers have chrome paint on them, or are they chromed?

Looks fantastic

Yeah Spill zei beanz Tim what finish is that on the bars? :ph34r:

#1452 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:41 AM

I've been getting lots of little invisible jobs done lately, trying to get everything sorted for RWC. Feels like nothing gets achieved, but it is getting there now.

One thing I had to do was fit the new windscreen squirters.

Here's the bits and pieces I'm using. I ended up painting the washers and T piece black so they weren't so obvious when looking through the plenum vent.

Posted Image

Here it is fitted to the underside of the cowl panel.

Posted Image

This is all you'll see from the outside.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I ran the tube from the squirter bottle up through the A pillar and into the plenum chamber, so it wouldn't be visible anywhere.

Posted Image

I then hooked it up and fitted the cowl panel. I think it looks pretty good. No one will really even notice them, as they don't stand out anywhere near as much in real life as they do in this pic with the flash highlighting them. Plus it means there are no hoses or fittings in the engine bay now.

Posted Image

The next thing I had to sort out was the central locking. I'd already fitted the drivers door solenoid, but it didn't have enough guts to unlock or lock the door. Great. All I could do was pull the latch out again and see if I could loosen in up a bit.

This is the drivers door latch before I cleaned it. After looking at it for a bit I found this little spring. I took the spring out and it made the lock move a lot easier. It was still a bit tight though so a good clean out of all the gunk had it moving freely.

Posted Image

With the drivers door reassembled, the central locking works perfectly, so I fitted the solenoid into the passengers door too and gave it another test. It works really well now. I'm very happy with it, considering I was a bit worried about how I was going to get it working.

Posted Image

I then fitted the trim and handles, door stop rubber, door seal and flexi conduit for the solenoid wiring.

Posted Image

I also fitted the bonnet side rubbers and bonnet stop rubbers.

Posted Image

Posted Image

When I took the car apart one of the clips that holds the door handle to the rod inside the door was broken. I think those clips are a pain so I ended up just drilling a hole in the top of each door handle rod and used an R clip to secure it to the handle.

Posted Image

Another thing needed for RWC is rubber pedal pads, so I bought one for the clutch. It's not a perfect match but it's as close as I could get around here. It's a bit rich that Mal Wood doesn't supply one with the pedal assembly. Oh well.

Posted Image

I also fitted the new firewall rubber.

Posted Image

Not that you can really see anything in this pic, but I also fitted the passengers front seatbelt. Was fun finding the holes after gluing the vinyl on everything : )

Posted Image

I bought a couple of tubes of loctite instant glue to put the hatch seal on, but 2 tubes wasn't enough, and I ran out with about 2 feet to go. Oh well, I'll just get some more today.

Posted Image

Well that's all that's really worth looking at, not that there was anything good to look at in this lot anyway : )

There's still a decent sized list of jobs to do, but I'm going to try my hardest to get the RWC this week. I'll have to raise the car a bit which is a pain but I've found some springs I can borrow, so that's cool.

Fingers crossed!!!!!

#1453 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:34 AM

With the locks, just make sure that they don't fall down by themselves after you remove the spring - after being locked out once or twice I reinstalled the springs after weakening them with a bit of heat, gives just enough to stop any knocks from accidentally locking them but still soft enough for the solenoids to move.

Looking great, getting very close!

#1454 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,294 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:45 AM

Just curious... but if you were going to hide the washer hoses..... & you have filled all the unwanted holes in the engine bay for a smooth look.... why didn't you fill in the washer nozzle holes in the plenum cover?

#1455 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:21 AM

I know what you're saying 76lx, and that was something I was wary of, but the solenoid would have to come undone for the lock to fall down, so it should be fine. (crosses fingers)

As for the holes in the plenum, well, no ones perfect : )

#1456 meanmachine72

meanmachine72

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Name:Jono

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:56 AM

hey tim...thats a cool spanner ring ya got..make it your self???

#1457 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:57 AM

you need to detail your pedal rubbers tim
i can see bog dust on em
one blemesh on a otherwise PERFECT rebuild Posted Image

#1458 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:06 AM

I was thinking of not having any locks at all if I can get my head around the idea of leaving the car unlocked.

The way I see it if you lock the car then some arsehole will smash the window or do some other damage to get into the car. Then the car alarm will go off and they will probably go away leaving you will the damage bill.

If the car is left unlocked then the alarm will go off and there should not be any damage. I have had my Forester broken into twice. The first time they smashed the lock and damaged the door, the quote was $700 to repair. The second time they smashed the passenger window which cost $300 from the wreckers.

#1459 _j7723_

_j7723_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:27 AM

mate what a job looks grate just spent the last 2 days going throw the hole lot should now to some work but thank you

#1460 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:15 PM

I was thinking of not having any locks at all if I can get my head around the idea of leaving the car unlocked.

The way I see it if you lock the car then some arsehole will smash the window or do some other damage to get into the car. Then the car alarm will go off and they will probably go away leaving you will the damage bill.

If the car is left unlocked then the alarm will go off and there should not be any damage. I have had my Forester broken into twice. The first time they smashed the lock and damaged the door, the quote was $700 to repair. The second time they smashed the passenger window which cost $300 from the wreckers.

Thats really not such a bad idea.

I very very rarely park my torana anywhere I cant see it, and when I do, im always in earshot of the car alarm.

Plus the fact there isnt a whole lot they can steal in the amount of time it would take me to get from where I am to the car.

And how many people do you see actually walking along lifting handles on cars like ours! if they are going to steal it, its going to be from your shed and locks do bugger all then!

#1461 _sjohnst7_

_sjohnst7_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:17 PM

Yeah, the bumpers are currently painted a chrome-ish colour. I would like to get them re-chromed in the very near future (once it is in Canberra probably). Any recommendations for good chroming companies?

#1462 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:42 PM

you could just wait and get the repro ones that come out soon

#1463 _AD_75_

_AD_75_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:42 PM

Yeah, the bumpers are currently painted a chrome-ish colour. I would like to get them re-chromed in the very near future (once it is in Canberra probably). Any recommendations for good chroming companies?

Cant help ya with a chrome company local to you but honestly even though i'm a big fan of chromed LH/X bars they look good as is...coulda been worse and color coded them the same as the rest of the car. :stirpot:

#1464 _sjohnst7_

_sjohnst7_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:01 PM

Yeah, yuo're right Aidrian. I wouldn't want to have done that to it! :lol:

#1465 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:21 PM

ha ha so it's a honda crx atm Posted Image

#1466 _cazarak_

_cazarak_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:27 PM

what product did you use to fill the gaps on the bonnet between the frame and the skin.

I see in the 59 pages a mention of sikaflex but cant find if thats correct or not,

Thanks

#1467 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:50 PM

you could just wait and get the repro ones that come out soon

We could have, but I wanted to have all the mounting bolts and jacking points filled anyway, so they'd need rechroming anyway.

It's a pity to have them painted in House of Kolor Kosmic Krome, but there are absolutely no good chrome platers around here, so hopefully Mr Brother will have more luck in canberra.

As for the bonnet goo, yes it is sikaflex adhesive, but I only used that as I couldn't get any MS sealer at the time. MS is a much better product for doing things like that as it wont pull on the outer skin like sikaflex can.

Oh, sorry Quagmire, yes it is a CRX at the moment : )

If all CRXs looked like this I'd have one hahaha

#1468 _cazarak_

_cazarak_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:53 PM

thanks for that,

I was wondering if the sikaflex would pull on the outer skin once it dried. Iv'e been looking at a bonnet for a ute here thinking of how to tidy underneath up, ill give it a go, cheers

BTW the write up and pics of this build are brilliant, i love your attention to detail, great build

#1469 _Zach_

_Zach_
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:46 AM

59 pages later and I am finished reading, this thread has given me a few good little details about customisation, top effort on the build.

My brother (olj_08) has mentioned you before (I think when you got the drains), if only I had noticed the build thread before this week.

#1470 _lxss5l_

_lxss5l_
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:37 AM

Man the car is just
!!! Incredible !!! and then you open the bonnetPosted Image . I got excited when I saw the pics of it being driven out the shed,I could only imagine how stoked you and your bro must be right now.Bumer you gota change the springs again just for the rw l'd love to see the look on the guys faces when you're getting the road wearthy and what thay say about it, thay'll be blown away.

Posted Image

#1471 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:51 PM

With the locks, just make sure that they don't fall down by themselves after you remove the spring - after being locked out once or twice I reinstalled the springs after weakening them with a bit of heat, gives just enough to stop any knocks from accidentally locking them but still soft enough for the solenoids to move.

Looking great, getting very close!

I had this exact problem and was going to mention that :P. I removed the springs on my HQ rear door locks so the solenoid could move the lock, and after opening and closing the back door 2-3 times the lock would fall down a tiny bit and lock it. It didnt have to fall much to cause a problem.

Edited by jabba, 10 September 2010 - 04:55 PM.

#1472 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:01 PM

Well I've got the A/C all gassed up, the power steering hoses made and fitted, the sun visors and rear view mirrors fitted, all the rear trim bits fitted, oh, and did I mention

IT NOW HAS A ROADWORTHY CERTIFICATE!!!!!! YAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1473 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:21 PM

Great news

#1474 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:21 PM

Good stuff mate, it's a credit to you.

#1475 its Paul

its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:LXSS, VUSS, VESSv & the mighty HB

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:38 PM

Good to see you�ve come over to the dark side.......PAINTED BUMPERS.......

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users