* * * * * 1 votes

Fixing my brothers UC hatch

• Please log in to reply
1690 replies to this topic

#126 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:34 AM

Hi Baron. I actually thought about a wrap around indicator for a while, like you suggested, but the seam between the spoiler and guards was in the way, so I went a different way.

Does that make me lazy? Yeah, it does : )

#127 _NVS_084_

_NVS_084_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:19 AM

Hey mate f*cking fantastic build so far, definetly (sp) gunna bookmark this page haha. I hate Uc's with a passion, this thing is sick but...
What do you do for a living ??

#128 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:40 AM

Thanks NVS, glad you like it. I do too, that's why my brother is going to be pissed when I don't give it back : )

Well today I did a bit more fixing of the flares on the RHS. There was just a couple of areas where the flares didn't sit as well against the body as I'd like. I know there will be the rubber strip in there, that probably would hide the gaps, but I want it better. I added some more fibreglass to the areas that needed filling and then refitted the flares over some masking tape I stuck on the body so I could add some filler to the flare and know it's taking the right shape.

Posted Image

Once that fun was taken care of I finally got to chop one of the rear guards.

The first step after marking it out was to cut the outer skin off. There was heaps of body sealer gunk in there, and some wiring stuck in the gunk as well. Nice : )

Posted Image

With the outer skin removed I was able to clean up the inner guard in readiness for it to be pulled outwards and get welded to the outer guard.

Posted Image

I then removed the lip from the edge of the inner guard, as it would make folding the inner guard outwards too difficult.

Posted Image

I cut a couple of slits in the inner guard in the corner to allow me to move the inner guard out enough to join it to the outer guard. It's mainly the tight corners that need the slits. The straightish section along the top shouldn't need any. I say shouldn't, as I haven't done it yet. I'll find out tomorrow : ) I only got a little way with it today.

Posted Image

You can see already how much room there will be for the tyre, without too much effort. I've never fitted flares to a torana before, but I feel this is the easiest ways and still have it look good and be strong. I'm sure there's different/better ways, but my pea brain doesn't know them : )

#129 _torriechick_

_torriechick_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:44 AM

Hahah good work! and, I'd say your brother will kill you if you dont give it back... wouldnt he? :huh: But still, dont :P

#130 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:08 AM

Got the rear guard finished. It's funny how after it was all cut and welded it didn't look like I'd cut that much out, until I put the wheel back on : ) I also added a little bit of filler around the wheel opening just to smooth it out, even though the flare covers it.

Posted Image

I'm using stainless 1/4 inch allen bolts to hold the flares on, so I drilled all the holes out to suit.

Posted Image

Next job was to fit the bonnet and try to get the nosecone to line up. The nosecone has had a pretty decent hit at some stage in it's life and isn't exactly what you'd call straight. I ended up having to put a few cuts into it so I could yank it into the right position before welding it back together. It's all good now though.

Posted Image

I got the bonnet scoop out today. I hadn't even unwrapped it and it's been here for quite a while (since before work on the car started). It's actually not too bad. I'll need to straighten the top up a little bit but at least it isn't horribly sagged in the middle like some.

Posted Image

I pulled the motor out again today so I could rip the sump off and get it ready for modifying. The section marked in pencil is getting cut out and plated, plus the pan needs 50mm taken from it's depth. Yay.

Posted Image

Got the left rear flare into position as well. I still need to make some adjustments to the flare itself, as I did with all of them, and then cut the guard out and weld it.

Posted Image

#131 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:54 AM

Hows your alloy fabrication skills?

I need someone to knock me up a catch can in the near future, by the time Im ready, I think you will have this thing finished and regoed! haha.

Mate you are a dead set freak (in a good way)

:)

#132 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • Name:Stinga
  • Car:HD Holden ute, and sedan, UC torana

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:56 AM

flares are looking like a really good fit. obviously from the extra work you have done adding/removing material. great work..... bring on the colour!!!

#133 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:06 AM

Thanks guys. Unfortunately I don't have an AC/DC TIG, so can't weld aluminium. I can cut and shape the metal and have a guy who can weld it for me, but by the time all that's done it's probably cheaper and easier to get an autobarn one.

By the way, how can someone be a freak in a bad way? : ) I'm 100% freak and proud!!!!!

The flares are looking OK now. This is the first time I've fitted flares so it's a learning experience.

Colour - still up in the air. Maybe red, maybe orange maybe something else. All I know is he definitely want the black bonnet and window frames, but he wont let me make a marlboro replica. That would be sweet : )

#134 _AD_75_

_AD_75_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:16 PM

Looking good tim and nice job on the flares, might have to hit you up to help me fit mine when the time comes lol..but anyways i was looking at it and i don't know if i like the A9X bonnet scoop on it? how bout a bugcatcher or pro street style scoop instead? just tossing idea's around :spoton:

-Ad

#135 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:21 PM

Awesome work mate wish i had your skills and patience !

And you were my brother :spoton:

#136 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:12 PM

That is starting to look fantastic now.....

Can't wait to see it finished.

Keep that scoop too.

Formula Blue would look good mate, definitely needs to be something that will stand out after all the work you've put in!!

#137 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:16 PM

Thanks a lot guys for the kind words. As for the scoop, it'd be pretty hard to mount a bugcatcher to an LS1 : )

He wants it to have a "torana" look about it, and the A9X scoop is part of that look. It will look better once it's mounted to the bonnet, as it doesn't really line up at the moment : )

#138 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,363 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:22 PM

A9X scoop is tacky as if it doesn't breathe through there! Don't do a non-functional scoop!

#139 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:05 PM

Yeah i wouldn't put the scoop on either.. But hey its not my car

#140 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:20 PM

A9X scoop is tacky as if it doesn't breathe through there! Don't do a non-functional scoop!

I agree that it should be functional but I still think it would look better non-functional than missing entirely

#141 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,363 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:44 PM

An A9X doesn't NEED a bonnet scoop to look good! In most cases I would say cars look better without that kind of thing, it just happens that an A9X scoop is a particularly good looking part :P

#142 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:58 PM

It's a bit of a worry I know having a scoop that doesn't do anything but help aesthetically, but my brother, and myself, like the look of bonnet scoops on flared toranas. It just helps fatten up the whole look of the car.

I'll have to find a way to make it draw air into the motor somehow???? : )

#143 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:06 PM

build some kind of airbox into the scoop?? might be hard with the position of the throttle body, but might be worth a look

#144 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,363 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:06 PM

Honestly i think one of the best things about the LS motors is that you can keep a LOT under the bonnet very easily.

Just redesign the top end with a sheetmetal high riser and a horizontal EFI throttle-body setup so that the car isn't a ricer :P

#145 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 January 2010 - 05:24 AM

An A9X doesn't NEED a bonnet scoop to look good!

Sorry I'm going to disagree again, assuming it has a rear spoiler - they look unbalanced if they have one without the other, like dirtbag says you need it to fatten it up. This is particularly so with the blacked out bonnet but is only my opinion.

#146 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:36 PM

Heath. Ricer? Bit harsh mate : ) I haven't even put the fully sick blow off valve on yet hehehe.

Well there's been a little bit more done in the last couple of days so I thought I'd post some more pics, see if we can start any more arguments. I enjoy the arguments : )

It was good to get the bonnet on. Not only so I could get the gaps sorted out, but so I could see how it looked now it's a bit smoother underneath.

Posted Image

The left rear flare got mounted. It didn't fit too badly except for the fact it was so out of shape I couldn't get it to cover the front of the original wheel arch. I tried all sorts of positions, but the best fit overall was how it is in this pic. It just means I'll have to extend the flare to cover the original wheel arch. Yay.

Posted Image

Then it was time to cut the guard.

Posted Image

Weld the guard

Posted Image

Bog the guard. Exciting stuff this hey : )

Posted Image

Now both rear guards are ready for primer.

The bonnet and nose cone are finally getting some attention too. The nose cone was in a fairly bad way, so took a lot of mucking about to get it to line up good and proper. The gaps are looking pretty good now though.

Posted Image

I was totally unhappy with the shape of the right hand rear flare. The bottom of the front section looked to chunky after I'd fixed the big gap. I ended up using a sanding disc on the grinder to cut it into the shape I wanted, then fibreglassed over the top to give it some strength back.

Posted Image

This is the left rear flare getting some extra fibreglass to close up the wheel opening so the metal isn't visible from the side.

Posted Image

Here's what I ended up with once it was dry.

Posted Image

After a bit of a trim down.

Posted Image

It copped a bit of filler front and rear, as I had to cut the back part as well like the other 3 flares. It looks much better now. Don't worry about how it curls back towards the tyre, when it's bolted on properly it doesn't do that. It's just hanging there for the photo.

Posted Image

Here's the front of the other rear flare after I reshaped the bottom section. It's much better now compared to how it was. Again, it's just hanging there, so don't worry about the bad fitment.

Posted Image

#147 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:47 PM

After all that exciting work it was time for some more primer.

The rear guards got a couple of coats where they were cut out.

Don't they look great now? No? : )

Posted Image

This is the left rear flare that I added all the fibreglass to so the wheel opening was a bit smaller. I think it turned out OK.

Posted Image

The other flares I had to do more work to also got coloured grey.

Posted Image

The bonnet and nose cone actually look like they belong to the car now.

Posted Image

It's nice to finally have the dents taken out of the nose cone. The grill opening was fun to get straight.

Posted Image

Speedway here we come!!!!

Posted Image

It's nice to finally see the whole car the same colour.

Posted Image

Well that's it for now. These areas I primed today will need to be dry sanded and primed again after any imperfections are fixed. Feels a bit like a vicious circle : )

#148 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:50 PM

The scoop will probably still be functional. If it is not part of the engine intake then it should help to reduce engine bay temperature. Some people lift the back of the bonnet for this reason which while functional is not a good look.

#149 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:56 PM

scoop scoop scoop....

#150 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:04 PM

It's definitely getting the scoop. Love it or hate it, it'll be there. Toranas with flares need them in my opinion, where they're functional or not they just look good : )

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users