Whch carb for worked 202?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 _wjr2980_

_wjr2980_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:02 PM

Was thinking of trying one of these holley's. What do you all think?
http://www.summitrac...rd=390cfm&dds=1

I have a worked blue 208 with big cam (around 40/80), ported 12 port head flowing nearly 300hp, genie race tune headers, locked dizzy, roller rockers ect putting out 280hp. Running a trimatic, full manual, 3000 stall. Would like triple webers but not sure what to do???

#2 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,165 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:27 PM

Was thinking of trying one of these holley's. What do you all think?
http://www.summitrac...rd=390cfm&dds=1

I have a worked blue 208 with big cam (around 40/80), ported 12 port head flowing nearly 300hp, genie race tune headers, locked dizzy, roller rockers ect putting out 280hp. Running a trimatic, full manual, 3000 stall. Would like triple webers but not sure what to do???

Whack a set of tripple strombergs on that engine it would wake that engine up.G

#3 _Gunmetal LH_

_Gunmetal LH_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:34 PM

This would be cheap...

uploads/monthly_01_2010/post-7772-12637136180627_thumb.jpg

Attached Files

Edited by Gunmetal LH, 17 January 2010 - 05:36 PM.

#4 _evil UC hatch_

_evil UC hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:40 PM

I wouldn't bother with a 4 barrel holley, I use a 350 on my 202 but its fairly mild, if I had a more wild engine I would go for either tripple webbers or efi

#5 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:51 PM

Your motor sounds fairly mild.

A 390 or 465 4bbl would be fine. DO NOT GO A 2BBL HOLLEY!

Personally i wouldent use a Holley product though. Edelbrock makes a lot of good suitable and far superior carbs. BG makes some good ones to but the smallest is probably a tad to large for your setup.

Tripple SU's would be a treat also. Webbers would be overkill.

Cheers.

#6 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:18 PM

I'm with Bomber on this.

i had a 390 on a hot 192....awesome without the tuning/balancing problems of multiple carbs.

#7 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:15 PM

Something doesn't quite add up here. Does it really make 280hp now? That's a very very good output from a 12 port motor, and to get it you'd need to be running some bloody good carburetion already (eg. 3 x DCOEs) - I seriously doubt that you'd even get near those numbers with a 390 four-barrel...
And I'd love to see photos of the head - is it a Holden or a YT head? I've spent the afternoon struggling to get air through an EFI head with a die grinder (for my son's 202) - it's coming along OK but I'm still a long way off 300hp. You've either got an exceptionally good head or else your porters flowbench is optimistic..

#8 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:18 PM

Don't dismiss the two barrel Holley , there easy and reliable and inexpensive .I pulled the plugs out of Chris's Torana last week ,the 500 runs like a dream , in fact I'm going to go up a jet size ,it's not using enough fuel.
Posted Image

#9 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:50 PM

take the 500 off...sit a bucket of petrol on top and drill a hole in the bottom...I had no end of troubles with a 350 i used to have...fark I hate 2 barrel holleys

#10 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,017 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:54 PM

I have a Yella Terra head, Pacemaker extractors, Holden HEI ignition, stage 3 Dynotech cam and roller rockers.

What size hole do I drill in my bucket? :huh:

#11 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:11 PM

I have a Yella Terra head, Pacemaker extractors, Holden HEI ignition, stage 3 Dynotech cam and roller rockers.

What size hole do I drill in my bucket? :huh:

5/32"

Or 1/4" for methanol..

Actually the bucket idea is dumb, you can't maintain a constant fuel level
Much better to use a toilet cistern, that way you can set the float level.
And you can hit the half-flush button for cold starts (full flush if it's really cold...)

Edited by oldjohnno, 17 January 2010 - 08:15 PM.

#12 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:39 PM

The full flush is the power valve.

#13 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:58 PM

im with oldjohnos post number 7

ive been involved with n/a iron 12 port headed engines and from my experiances 3,000 converter does not seem right either but thats just my 2c worth .

my advice is some sort of tripple carb set up.

Cheers Hayden

#14 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:14 PM

The 390 is a great option but make sure it is Vacuum Secondary.

When just cruising using the front two barrels they run about 290 (similar to a WW Stromberg), and are very economical.

When you want to boot it, the rears are more sensitive in a vac sec, and you'll get every ounce of 390 as your foot hits the floor.

Never have come across a decent 350, and some of the people who have had luck with them replace the normal jets with adjustable ones.

If you have the funds and want to do it, grab some triples - CDs or SUs are the economical end of the scale (if you can call it that), through Webers to Dellortos (Cost in the same order as economy, or lack thereof).

Grant..

#15 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:29 PM

Never have come across a decent 350...

I quite like Holleys; they've been very good for me on V8s. I'd even argue that there's nothing wrong with the 350 - it's a perfectly functional carb. The only problem is that no-one has ever made a decent manifold to mate the 350 to a Holden six... every one that I've seen has had the carb mounted sideways. But a "performance" inline six is inherently poorly suited to a single carburettor of any type I think..

#16 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,363 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:06 AM

Yes absolutely 100% Johnno.

I'm trying to sort out a setup atm which turns the Holley 90 degrees

#17 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:53 PM

You're definitely right about the manifolds Johnno. And so many ppl try and put a 350 onto a WW manifold and the extra spacer should be called a "flat-spot" plate.........I have enjoyed WWs though, and they are used very heavily in GM and Chrysler baby V8s. Just a better design than the 350.
I have no issues with any other Holley, just the 350 is very badly designed. The response, and the fact it can't be choked down enough.........
It's just not suited to anything with low airflow at any time, so okay for a stock small V8, but no good for a six.

Grant..

#18 _Sable GTR_

_Sable GTR_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:00 PM

I agree with Oldjohnno, but it most cases it depends on use of car and your wallet.
If your racing on the track seriously with little street use go triples or efi.
A friend has a LC coupe with a hot 186 with triple delortos. Fitted and had tuned by Collins
well over 10 years ago, just had them re-done last year as a precaution. Very reliable setup.
He goes to powercruise and wants the grunt.
SUs suck.
I have used 350s on 253s and 6s on the street and had no trouble with them after jetting and changing
powervalve if needed. Mine has been on motor for since '97 and hasnt missed a beat.
If you buy a $20 350 from the paper it is most likly already worn out and will run like crap.
Incorrectly setup return spings flogging the shafts out is a common problem.
If your worried too much about fuel economy buy an exel or corolla.
Just my experience.
Peter.

#19 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:03 PM

Yes absolutely 100% Johnno.

I'm trying to sort out a setup atm which turns the Holley 90 degrees

You could do it easily with a 4 barrel manifold Heath, but I suspect the plenum volume might be a bit much, and you'd still have too-short centre runners. If you built one from scratch though you could probably come up with something half decent.

#20 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:09 PM

SUs suck.
I have used 350s on 253s and 6s on the street and had no trouble with them after jetting and changing
powervalve if needed.

SU's suck? I'd definitely argue that point. On every engine I've used them on they've been brilliant. I think warrenm might have a comment on this too....

I don't necessarily disagree about the 350s on Holden sixes - in my experience they've been smooth and reliable, no flat spots or hesitation or any misbehaviour at all really. They were just very mediocre performers as far as horsepower and mileage go.

#21 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,363 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:20 PM

Yep already thought of that Johnno, got another hurdle to deal with in the meantime (bonnet clearance), but I'm gonna get my hands on a CAIN 4-barrel manifold. Need to have a good look at the runners to see what it's like

#22 _Sable GTR_

_Sable GTR_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:33 PM

Haha
Thought I would get a bite from someone about the SU comment.
I beleive SUs are like most carbys, must be in good nick. I remove mine on 4dr LJ because
the motor is near stock and they ran like crap. Having said that I think they are in need
of rebuild.
Totaly agree about 350 not use for high performance motors, good on street with a cam not real racing.
Once helped a young fella put a 350 on a stock 138 red in a LJ, told him it wouldnt be any good but he insisted.
Had one on a stock VH 3.3 blue and ran ok.
Smile
Peter.

#23 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,363 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:45 PM

The design of an SU is simply awesome, there is no reason that a good SU setup won't perform beautifully, and be fuel efficient. One shit carb is not necessarily any better or worse than any other shit carb, and there's no carb that just 'works' on any motor without being set up properly :P

#24 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:14 AM

The design of an SU is simply awesome, there is no reason that a good SU setup won't perform beautifully, and be fuel efficient. One shit carb is not necessarily any better or worse than any other shit carb, and there's no carb that just 'works' on any motor without being set up properly :P

I find it a bit amusing when people say brand x carbs are shit. I've used Holleys, Carters, SUs, Mikunis, Amals, Keihins, Strommies, Rochesters (and whatever else I've forgotten about), and in every single case the carbs have basically done what they should do, and that includes some pretty weird (mis)applications. And in every single case where the carb hasn't initially performed well, it's been because of my own misconfiguration, not some intrinsic fault in the carbs design.
So whenever I see someone write "brand x carbs are shit", I read that as "I'm unable to set up and tune brand x carbs".

#25 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:19 AM

I'm with you oldjohnno,a carby is a carby.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users