• Guests

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:49 PM

yes agree but some are easier to set up than others
and people will always have there favourites

#27 _Skorcher_

_Skorcher_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:58 PM

OK guys...I'm a bit of a noob...so bear with me on this. My 20 yr old daughter bought herself a dead stock LJ SL 4 Dr fitted with a 173 and auto. She now wants a bit more grunt so we purchased a blue 202 off Ebay. We intend rebuilding the motor and having the head worked for a bit more power and to run unleaded.

To get to the crux...this motor came with a 500 2bbl Holley and the guy we bought it off claims that it was running very well with this carb. I've heard all sorts of advice from...dump the 500 and run a 350 Holley to...a 500 Holley, awesome carb for the 202 if set up correctly.

My question is: Which of the two carbs...350 cfm 2bbl Holley or 500 cfm 2bbl Holley...is the better carb for a mild (+ a little) street 202?

Cheers

#28 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,017 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:30 PM

What is the car going to be used for?
Also, if she fits a later motor, it probably has to meet that motors pollution requirements to be legal.

#29 _beergut_

_beergut_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:05 AM

ya got it so ya may as well stick with it
holleys are easy to tune etc etc
unlike some other carbs

#30 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:18 AM

Hi, Skorcher ,welcome to the site. As Beergut says if you have got it try it ,if you have any problems ,PM me and I'll tell you what Jets and power valve are in the wife's, auto mild 202, it had a smaller Holley on it before , which was also OK , maybe a bit better under 3000 RPM.

#31 _Skorcher_

_Skorcher_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:33 PM

Thanks guys...your help is much appreciated. The motor is a VL prefix engine...which I think is out of a WB, so pollution gear might not be an issue...but if needed, I don't suppose it will be too hard to fit a charcoal canister.

Once I find someone in Brisbane who doesn't want an arm and a leg, plus my first born, to do the machining, I'll be able to get stuck into it and get it together.

Cheers, Vince

#32 _beergut_

_beergut_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:34 PM

wbs run pollution so you might have to run a canister
post the numbers on the holley and i'll check my book and narrow down
what you acually have if it's listed there

#33 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,017 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:46 PM

VL = VB to VK Commodore (red, blue and black)
Found here:
http://www.monaroparts.com/Engines.htm
So it would also need an E.G.R valve and maybe an air pump?

Edited by rodomo, 28 January 2010 - 11:47 PM.

#34 _Skorcher_

_Skorcher_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:49 PM

Hm, pollution gear...a bit of a pain, but a not insurmountable problem.

Below are a couple of pics of the carb and manifold. The numbers are the part # of the carb as best I can tell.

Cheers, Vince

Attached Files

#35 _beergut_

_beergut_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:34 PM

yep 500 2bbl holley
according to my book
2300 is the model number
hope this helps
al

#36 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:44 PM

A canister is for the fuel tank, not the carby.

#37 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:52 PM

My question is: Which of the two carbs...350 cfm 2bbl Holley or 500 cfm 2bbl Holley...is the better carb for a mild (+ a little) street 202?

Cheers

You really have to ask yourself what is the max RPM you will be operating at.

FWIW playing with old carbies is cause for headache, either get a proper reco or buy new, small investment but a much bigger grin.

#38 _beergut_

_beergut_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2010 - 10:58 AM

A canister is for the fuel tank, not the carby.

yep and they hook up into the carby/manifold yeah?
as it out of a wb/crummydore i was just remarking he may need his pollution gear
jees talk about a nitpick

#39 _UCV80_

_UCV80_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2010 - 11:15 AM

I had a 390cfm 4barrel on my old hotted 202, was great! and if babied it the economy was unreal.

#40 _Skorcher_

_Skorcher_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:06 PM

Thanks Beergut (I got one of them :spoton:) now all I gotta do is think about checking jet sizes or, as Terra says, invest in a recond Holley...which isn't such a bad idea. I've seen a guy on Ebay who recons Holleys in Adelaide, and his prices seem fairly reasonable. I'll either send this one off to be recond, or put it up for sale and buy a smaller one ready done.

Fuel economy is a definite consideration UCV80...my daughter is only 20 and works in childcare so she isn't really well paid...thanks for you input mate.

Cheers, Vince

#41 _Skorcher_

_Skorcher_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:24 PM

Sorry Rodomo...should have answered your reply mate....many apologies there.

The car is her daily drive to and from work, but she also wants to try her hand at a run down the quarter at Willowbank. The car will not be a 10 second performer...in fact I reckon she will be hard pressed to break 14 seconds, but at least she has the right idea...race at the track, not on the streets. Gotta be happy with that.

Oh yeah, and she has a friend with one of the earlier Ford XR6 utes (a bit of a clunker) that reckons his car is the duck's guts and can blow any Torana's doors off. I know that there is a bit of humour in his boast, but my daughter wants to stomp his butt into the ground. Again, gotta be happy with that.

Cheers, Vince

#42 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:48 PM

might need to hot the 202 up a little to beat the xr6.

#43 _evil UC hatch_

_evil UC hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:54 PM

where do I find me a girl like that :dontknow:

sounds like you taught her well haha

Edited by evil UC hatch, 30 January 2010 - 07:54 PM.

#44 _beergut_

_beergut_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2010 - 10:19 PM

Sorry Rodomo...should have answered your reply mate....many apologies there.

The car is her daily drive to and from work, but she also wants to try her hand at a run down the quarter at Willowbank. The car will not be a 10 second performer...in fact I reckon she will be hard pressed to break 14 seconds, but at least she has the right idea...race at the track, not on the streets. Gotta be happy with that.

Oh yeah, and she has a friend with one of the earlier Ford XR6 utes (a bit of a clunker) that reckons his car is the duck's guts and can blow any Torana's doors off. I know that there is a bit of humour in his boast, but my daughter wants to stomp his butt into the ground. Again, gotta be happy with that.

Cheers, Vince

be careful those old xr6's do go
had 164 odd kw's factory
that's if it's genuine not many real ones made

#45 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 11:04 PM

yep and they hook up into the carby/manifold yeah?
as it out of a wb/crummydore i was just remarking he may need his pollution gear
jees talk about a nitpick

Not nitpicking just stating fact, pollution gear goes off the chassis no. and ADR tags, not what carby or motor you run.

FWIW if you ran the canister correctly in an LC/LJ you would need to change to the correct carby and air filter, canister and fuel tank including the correct cap.

#46 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:40 AM

I remeber being told by a gentleman at Carby Service co in Burwood Sydney that everyone whinges about these pollution controls on the toranas ( he was doing my 202 at the time), and he explained to me that carbon canister merely absorbs raw fule vapors from the tank, and feeds them to the carby on startup so all that happens is it runs rich for the first few seconds till the canister is emptied.

I had a Redline TorkerII manifold and brand new Holley 350 to put on, and he reccomended, and installed an ADM webber to the car. he bought my holley and sold me the webber for the same price and fitted the whole shebang including modifying the manifold for the webber mounts.

I tell ya.. it went like the clappers!
it was a little thirsty, but hey.. cant make power without burning fuel!
It had a WICKED flat spot which he warned me about before doing the job because the ADM was off a 4L 6cyl falcon.

Anyway, best of luck with it!
Sounds like your daughter has the right attitude and good taste to boot!

Cheers!

#47 _Skorcher_

_Skorcher_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:59 PM

Evil UC Hatch....they are out there mate...and you would be surprised how many do not have a b/f...I know mine doesn't.

Yer right beergut....but the extent of this guys vehicle maintenance knowledge is "put in petrol, start motor, thrash car, put in more petrol, do it all over again"

Thanks mate. Yep...she does have the right attitude, and taste as well...she gets it from her old man. Although, I was not allowed to have the car I wanted...my wife is not even remotely interested in a performance car. I may be to blame for that though...I picked her up from work in my mate's Dodge Challenger R/T S/E with a 440 bored and stroked to 511...was a pretty quick car for its day. And of course when one has power, one uses it...I think I frighten 11 sorts of faecal matter out of the poor girl. I always wanted a HG Monaro with a hot 350 in it...suffice to say I didn't get one. :lol:

Cheers, Vince

#48 _Gunmetal LH_

_Gunmetal LH_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2010 - 05:11 PM

I'm not advising anything on this except use at own risk!

Ebay Holley 600 + nitrous kit + manifold.

#49 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2010 - 05:26 PM

Yeh right ,on the way to pre-school hit the NOS at the lights .LOL

#50 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:17 PM

thats quite a combo with the vac sec an all.hehehe

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users