new dash

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 _crabby_

_crabby_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:24 AM

i have now made up my mind , im going to pull out the slr cluster and install a new custom dash and new guages.
what guages should i be looking for and what brand , speco-autometer?

crabbby

#2 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,364 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:24 AM

Pretty much the more you spend the better you get, but that doesn't mean that all the cheap stuff is useless. My only real experience in a car of my own is my Autometer monster, and that has always worked perfectly when wired correctly :P. And autometer has a very classic tough look but so do other brands. Just try and find 'set', i.e. a series of guages that are all built under the same theme, so you don't get half way through buying them and realise that one gauge isn't gonna match or something (because some guages are only made as 'additional' guages, where you can't make a full replacement cluster out of them, ...can't get a matching speedo etc). I would suggest that black/dark faced guages will suit most Torana interiors best, and beware that there is a fair bit of work & money in setting a good looking and well functioning dash.

Research how you can drive an aftermarket speedo, and figure out whether you want to do some mechanical guages or electric only.

#3 _crabby_

_crabby_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:43 PM

Pretty much the more you spend the better you get, but that doesn't mean that all the cheap stuff is useless. My only real experience in a car of my own is my Autometer monster, and that has always worked perfectly when wired correctly Posted Image. And autometer has a very classic tough look but so do other brands. Just try and find 'set', i.e. a series of guages that are all built under the same theme, so you don't get half way through buying them and realise that one gauge isn't gonna match or something (because some guages are only made as 'additional' guages, where you can't make a full replacement cluster out of them, ...can't get a matching speedo etc). I would suggest that black/dark faced guages will suit most Torana interiors best, and beware that there is a fair bit of work & money in setting a good looking and well functioning dash.

Research how you can drive an aftermarket speedo, and figure out whether you want to do some mechanical guages or electric only.

thanx heath
i have seen some nice looking guages around but most dont do a speedo in there range and if they do its in mph?
im looking as to what is required to hook a aftermarket speedo up but not having much luck getting ifo on them.
i love the black dice torana,s set up and have some pics of others i like.i think going mechanical would be the easyer and cheaperPosted Image option

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users