Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Name:Rabs
  • Car:1977 Holden Torana LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:34 PM

As some of you may know I have a 304 injected in my torrie.

The motor I have is currently out of a VR commodore and I also have a T5 manual transmission fitted.

Im up to the stage of putting a stroker kit and would love some advice if that�s ok.

I don�t know whether to go 355 or 383.

What sort of head work is needed on both stroker kits?

My torrie is not going to be made for the drags but I would like some nice horse power out of it.

I also do intend on putting a twin throttle body setup? Advice on what type would also be great.

Allot of people favour the 355 but why? The 383 has more cubes which obviously means more power.

Where is the best place to buy the stroker kits from?

Advice and opinions would be great!!

#2 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 26 March 2010 - 03:29 PM

I have had both a 355 and a 383 holden built for me in the past and I would never do a 355 again. For the tiny amount of cost between them you would be insane to not go for the bigger donk. Lazy extra torque and HP for the same level of mods.
Plenty of the pros will be able to source bits for you eg crankshaft rebuilders, COME etc.
I think lots of people settle for a 355 because they deal with people with little experience who do not wish to display their ignorance and instead want to repeat what they already know.
You wouldnt spend big dollars on rebuilding a 253 when a few extra dollars gets you a 308 so why build a 355 when a similarly small price gap gets you a 383?
Dont be another sheep!
R

#3 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2010 - 03:59 PM

I have had both a 355 and a 383 holden built for me in the past and I would never do a 355 again. For the tiny amount of cost between them you would be insane to not go for the bigger donk. Lazy extra torque and HP for the same level of mods.
Plenty of the pros will be able to source bits for you eg crankshaft rebuilders, COME etc.
I think lots of people settle for a 355 because they deal with people with little experience who do not wish to display their ignorance and instead want to repeat what they already know.
You wouldnt spend big dollars on rebuilding a 253 when a few extra dollars gets you a 308 so why build a 355 when a similarly small price gap gets you a 383?
Dont be another sheep!
R

My thoughts exactly. But then why stop at 383 - COME do a 396 now :-)

#4 MR77LX

MR77LX

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 March 2010 - 04:11 PM

Thanks guys... If i decide on the 383, what type of head and cam work is required? And how much is it going to cost me?
What do u think of a twin throttle body set up also?
Scat stroker kit is what i will be using.

#5 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2010 - 04:27 PM

Thanks guys... If i decide on the 383, what type of head and cam work is required? And how much is it going to cost me?
What do u think of a twin throttle body set up also?
Scat stroker kit is what i will be using.

Depends what you want the motor to do. When I was considering this option I spoke to COME and they said even a 396 with std heads and manifold would be a good combination for a street motor. Would have heaps of low down power but just wouldn't rev very high. In other words great for burnouts and traffic light drags (0-60kmh) .

Unless you are looking for outright power I think the twin throttle body manifolds are very expensive for the returns you get. I wouldn't put one on a street car unless I had the money readily available to pay for it.

Actually why stop at 396 - COME do their own alloy Holden block at 427 cubes :-)

#6 MR77LX

MR77LX

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 March 2010 - 04:32 PM

A 396 with standard heads, I wonder what type of horse power would that give compared to a 383.
Instead of twin throttle body, should i use that money instead for minor head work?

#7 _moot_

_moot_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2010 - 04:34 PM

standard manifolds are shithouse.i have a built 355 in my vn with the stock manifold,and it pulls really hard untill 5000rpm and then its like someone is pulling the handbrake on :dontknow: i would easily pick up another 100+hp with a decent manifold.the problem would be even worse with a 383+

355's are a little cheaper to build,you dont need to grout the block and i paid $400 for my scat crank. :badabing:

i'd go for a 383 next time,but just get a decent manifold.a 304 with a duel plain will be quicker than a 355 with a stock manifold

#8 _355 EH_

_355 EH_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:24 PM

355 and 383 are both great, what you have to remember is the heads get more restrictive as the cubes go up in size, this is also the case with manifolds, pipes, ect. i like both size engines but it depends on your application, ie: weight of car, stall size, gearing, max rpm, and type of use? ect. the 383 requires a bit more head work to get good top end power if thats what is needed! horsepower wise between the two is around 15-25 HP all things being equal, but what is realy different is the torque curve. so if you have a heavy car, 2500 stall, 3.25 gears the 383 with mild VN heads is a great thing. but if you have a light to medium weght car, 3000+ stall, 3.5+gears, and want to rev it hard the 355 is hard to go past, while the 383 can suit this application also, quite a bit of money needs to be spent on the heads (bigger valves, more port work to gain bigger min CSA) for it to perform in the upper RPM range. so its really how much you are prepared to spend, the 355 probably lends its self a little easier for a budget street strip type engine.

#9 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:54 PM

355 and 383 are both great, what you have to remember is the heads get more restrictive as the cubes go up in size, this is also the case with manifolds, pipes, ect. i like both size engines but it depends on your application, ie: weight of car, stall size, gearing, max rpm, and type of use? ect. the 383 requires a bit more head work to get good top end power if thats what is needed! horsepower wise between the two is around 15-25 HP all things being equal, but what is realy different is the torque curve. so if you have a heavy car, 2500 stall, 3.25 gears the 383 with mild VN heads is a great thing. but if you have a light to medium weght car, 3000+ stall, 3.5+gears, and want to rev it hard the 355 is hard to go past, while the 383 can suit this application also, quite a bit of money needs to be spent on the heads (bigger valves, more port work to gain bigger min CSA) for it to perform in the upper RPM range. so its really how much you are prepared to spend, the 355 probably lends its self a little easier for a budget street strip type engine.

Extremely well explained - that was what I was trying to get across but you did it better Posted Image

#10 _Harris_

_Harris_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:18 PM

Iv done a 383 with minor head work and a pretty big cam cost over 11 grand made 380rwhp then fell flat at 5000 revs because of the stock manifold now is trying to sell it for 6 grand
Brothers got a 355 with mild cam but 4.1gears made 225rwhp droped out at 4 grand because of the manifold and low gears. Selling the hole car for 10 000 vs ss
For my torri iv got a 355 with a bit bigger cam then my brother it makes 300rwhp because iv got a C.O.M.E twin throttle body manifold on it.

so after seeing all them i would put it down to the manifolds

BTW C.O.M.E do kits with the stroker, (355,383,396) twin throttle body, and even with heads pretty cheap

Edited by Harris, 28 March 2010 - 03:19 PM.

#11 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:29 PM

Iv done a 383 with minor head work and a pretty big cam cost over 11 grand made 380rwhp then fell flat at 5000 revs because of the stock manifold now is trying to sell it for 6 grand
Brothers got a 355 with mild cam but 4.1gears made 225rwhp droped out at 4 grand because of the manifold and low gears. Selling the hole car for 10 000 vs ss
For my torri iv got a 355 with a bit bigger cam then my brother it makes 300rwhp because iv got a C.O.M.E twin throttle body manifold on it.

BTW C.O.M.E do kits with the stroker, (355,383,396) twin throttle body, and even with heads pretty cheap

So in other words the 383 made 80 more rear wheel hp than the 355 despite being all aver by 5000rpm???
Say no more, the answer is clear on what to build.

With all due respect 355EH there is a much bigger gap between the two engines than 15-25 hp. With the same level of mods on a warmish street engine its more like 60hp and more importantly 60 ftlb.

Baa!

R

#12 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:11 PM

With all due respect 355EH there is a much bigger gap between the two engines than 15-25 hp. With the same level of mods on a warmish street engine its more like 60hp and more importantly 60 ftlb.

So an extra 28cu in makes an extra 60hp - I don't think so. That would mean 2.15hp per cu in - or 820hp for the 383.

being realistic it would be more like 1hp per cu in - so 383hp for the 383 and 355hp for the 355 - which would be a difference of 28hp.

#13 _355 EH_

_355 EH_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:05 PM

So in other words the 383 made 80 more rear wheel hp than the 355 despite being all aver by 5000rpm???
Say no more, the answer is clear on what to build.

Baa!

R

sorry absolutley no way is it 60 hp, i have dyno tested so many engines on a superflow 902 engine dyno to verify what i have stated. i have built well over 140 holden v8 strokers of all sizes not to mention chevs and fords and std stroke builds also, i build engines for a living. yes the torque is more, but more likely around 30-40 ftlb more and at a different rpm range. just because the 383 made 80 hp more doesent mean much as it is a totally different combo and the 355 may not have been as good a combo, simple as that.

#14 MR77LX

MR77LX

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:43 AM

That�s some great info guys! I appreciate all your feed backs.

The car is not going to be for the drags; however I do want some nice power at top end.
I will definately be running twin throttle body and bigger manifolds. However cost has a big part of it also. Do I need minor head work with the 355. If so roughly how much?
Head work is definitely needed with the 383, but how much roughly?
How much are the 355 come strokers, twin throttle body and even with heads worth?

#15 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:47 PM

Lads, perhaps we are talking about different ballparks.
Ken, yor previous posts suggest you have a decent brain. The mathematical modelling isnt nearly as simple as you imply.
Paul, you clearly have experience in this area but how often have you built the same engine twice with a change in capacity?
I have had this done.
The mildly ported stock valve iron VN heads ($800 worth of professional porting), redline hiwinder, 750 dp holley, Medium solid cam and pipes from my 355 were all reused when the 383 bottom end went together. Same 10.7:1 comp ratio.
The 355 made 405 hp and 410 ftlb
The 383 made 475 hp and 470 ftlb
These results were from the same dyno of a very reputable race engine builder. The driving experience in a LX was like chalk and cheese.

I appologise if my experiences seem out of keeping with others but they are what they are.

R

#16 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:26 PM

mildly ported stock valve iron VN heads ($800 worth of professional porting), redline hiwinder, 750 dp holley, Medium solid cam and pipes from my 355 were all reused when the 383 bottom end went together. Same 10.7:1 comp ratio.

This is very interesting stuff Rexy. I certainly wouldn't have expected the difference to be quite so big - not that I doubt your figures, I'm just very curious as to what was happening. Do you remember the rpms of the torque and hp peaks for the two engines?

#17 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:50 PM

mildly ported stock valve iron VN heads ($800 worth of professional porting), redline hiwinder, 750 dp holley, Medium solid cam and pipes from my 355 were all reused when the 383 bottom end went together. Same 10.7:1 comp ratio.

This is very interesting stuff Rexy. I certainly wouldn't have expected the difference to be quite so big - not that I doubt your figures, I'm just very curious as to what was happening. Do you remember the rpms of the torque and hp peaks for the two engines?

Yeah seems excessive to me - maybe the carby was too big for the 355 or something else just not matching with that capacity that was more suited to the 383 ?

I know my little maths equation would not be 100% correct but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be that far off. 70hp from 28cu in just doesn't seem right to me. I'm not saying you're figures are wrong or anything like that but I think there is some variable in there that affected one or the other engines.

#18 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:18 PM

Isnt it possible that even the heads were ported too large for the 355 and lost air velocity as well as possibly the carby being too big and intake/cam being more suitbible for the 383 hence making such a big difference.

You make a good point about how 70 hp from 28cu = 2.5Hp per cube

#19 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:51 AM

Clearly I have the have the hardest working 28ci in the world....
The comparison is what it is - direct.
All the above comments may have some validity to explain the difference.
A further couple of possible contributors: Piston dome configuration ( forged TRW in the 355, KB hypereutectic in the 383)
Rod length (short 400 chev rods in the 355, 5.7inch rods in the 383)
Johnno, both engines made peak torque at pretty similar rpm but the 383 had a much much fatter low end comparatively. We only dynoed them to 5500rpm as I am a bit of a nervous nellie. Power curves were still rising on both engines at 5500 but were starting to flatten off. There may or may not have been much extra. Certainly in car they were both done by 6300rpm.
Viper, the heads were done specifically for the 355. Reused on the 383 because they were already there and portmatched to the inlet manifold.

It is not nearly as simple when comparing combos as saying divide by cubic inch(old) and multiply by cubic inch(new).

A vigorous debate indeed! Good for the soul.

R

#20 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2010 - 05:09 PM

I think what this discussion does reveal is how important it is to have all components matched to each other and to the desired result in order to get the best out of the total package.

Thats where buying a tried and proven combination from a respected engine builder, while initially more expensive, could prove to be the best way to go. After all they have (or should have) tested lots of different combinations and come up with a package where everything works.

That 396 or alloy 427 from COME is looking pretty good MR77LX Posted Image

#21 _355 EH_

_355 EH_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:28 PM

Clearly I have the have the hardest working 28ci in the world....
The comparison is what it is - direct.
All the above comments may have some validity to explain the difference.
A further couple of possible contributors: Piston dome configuration ( forged TRW in the 355, KB hypereutectic in the 383)
Rod length (short 400 chev rods in the 355, 5.7inch rods in the 383)
Johnno, both engines made peak torque at pretty similar rpm but the 383 had a much much fatter low end comparatively. We only dynoed them to 5500rpm as I am a bit of a nervous nellie. Power curves were still rising on both engines at 5500 but were starting to flatten off. There may or may not have been much extra. Certainly in car they were both done by 6300rpm.
Viper, the heads were done specifically for the 355. Reused on the 383 because they were already there and portmatched to the inlet manifold.

It is not nearly as simple when comparing combos as saying divide by cubic inch(old) and multiply by cubic inch(new).

A vigorous debate indeed! Good for the soul.

R

im not trying to picky here, but if you have cut both engines short at max rpm on the dyno test then it really doesent tell the full story, because the 355 will probably carry alot stronger from 5500rpm to 6300rpm and wont drop off as quickly due to the csa in the head being able to support the 355 much better beyond 5500 than the 383, which could be an 30-40hp extra peak HP gained, and therefore closing up the power gap between the two combos

Edited by 355 EH, 30 March 2010 - 11:30 PM.

#22 _shan620_

_shan620_
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:06 AM

My 355 makes 520hp at fly a 6700. So guessing maybe around 400-450hp atw I'm guessing.

Edited by shan620, 11 December 2012 - 12:06 AM.

#23 MR77LX

MR77LX

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

Ah i went a 383 stroker from come racing and I’m very impressed.
I must admit there is a bit of work that needs done to the block but overall i can’t complain.

I have done 1000Kms now in my 383 and I’m just about ready to see how much HP i can get out of it.

I have also fitted come racing aluminium heads, come twin throttle body set up and come ecu.

#24 _SLEDGE_

_SLEDGE_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

How's the new donk going Rabs?

I know this is an old thread but just re-read it and is a very interesting debate.

Have you had the 383 on the dyno?

#25 MR77LX

MR77LX

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:18 PM

Its going good Jack.

Unfortunately i havnt spent much time on it due to a new garage that we have built.

But now im hoping to get back into it. Dyno is not too far off.

I need to fix an electrical issue that i cant figure out.

Its been to several different electicians and they cant fault it.

So once that is  fixed and sorted, then dyno is my next step.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users