Still Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Name:Damo
  • Car:bits here bits there.....

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:22 PM

Gday Rabs,

Just wondering if you bought your heads complete from COME racing or did you buy them bare?

If you bought them complete,did you have them checked out be fore fitting them up?

I found a heap of issues with the complete 600 series heads that i bought,form hour glassed valve guides to seats being .030" different in height.The stud holes for rocker studs weren't even tapped far enough for the studs that were supplied.Ended up having to swap out springs,locks and retainers to get them to work with .660" of cam lift.

I also had a few  issues with the 396 kit. While not far out,the balance was up to 20grams out to the figures that came with kits.Rod bolts galled in the rods.

Hope you didnt have any of the issues i had,but just because your buying from a supposedly reputable company doesnt mean they'll be right!  i suppose it buyer beware as usual!

#27 MR77LX

MR77LX

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Name:Rabs
  • Car:1977 Holden Torana LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:10 PM

I bought the heads bare and fitted a set of Howard rocker arms.

Im very surprised you had found issues with 600 series. Did u get someone to check them before you fitted them?

Did you speak to COME about this and what did they say?

The only thing i have noticed with my motor is a slight knock on cold start up.

#28 LXdamo

LXdamo

Still Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Name:Damo
  • Car:bits here bits there.....

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

I had them checked out by the builder of my engine luckily.I had the stripped down as they getting further porting.

I spoke to COME and they said they were as suprised as me,but then went on to say i/we must have made mistakes in our measuring.

It is all fixed now and am waiting to get some pipes made up then run the thing on the engine dyno.

#29 _Ptr540_

_Ptr540_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:04 AM

Just wondering if anyone can help , I'm thinking of putting a set of torque power early style aluminium heads on my 308 wich is an old 331 stroker it has a solid 300a solid cam it made 426 eng hp on the dyno wich is not to bad for early steel heads , now my delema is do I build a 383 short and put the alloy heads and single plane manifold on or put the heads on my combo I have now and build a short for when this shits it's self , it would be good to see what the old 331 could do with a set of alloy heads and a roller in it .

#30 _Blo355hulklx_

_Blo355hulklx_
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:20 AM

I've gone through and read all the post and just wanted to point out that standard 304 heads will flow 400hp all day everyday
If I was you I would of went the vs/vt 304 as the are factory clearance for 355 and some 383 kits require machining that gets pretty close to water jackets and weakening the block I've also notice that with the 304 the 355 is more zippy and the 383 more sluggish not as quick off the mark
Ive built both my lx has a vp 304 stroked to 355 (come racing forged) with 590 series alloy heads to specs required, come twin throttle body manifold, come cam kit , felpro gaskets with a tci 2speed power glide and 9" with strange gears behind it and pulled 412rwhp now swapped out the pistons and cam kit to blower spec ones from come racing , thicker head gasket, dropped compression bolted a vortech v2 side mount charger and made 743rwhp when it stopped jumping the dyno
My 383 is a chev , dart lil m cast iron block, dart 2 alloy heads , comp cams cam kit, lifters,pushrods,timing chain,valve springs, procomp 383 stroker kit, h beam rods, 30thou pistons , felpro gaskets, hi rise manifold with 750 double pumper, electronic water pump, full msd ignition with full manual valve body th350 and 9" pushing just over 500rwhp

#31 Lima31

Lima31

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Name:Lee

Posted 03 September 2018 - 09:56 PM

Just wondering about the bottom end and whether the stock 2 bolts will hold a 383 ... perhaps 1/2 inch cleveland studs and keep the stock mains caps, or whether the mains absolutely must be converted to 4-bolt for a red holden 383?

Particularly if it is only street duties and max of 6000 rpm?

#32 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 11:37 PM

To way in on a couple of comments.
I have come alloy heads, lucky my machinist did his job, found numerous issues, asked for spring setup to suit a sid roller, gave them the specs, they sent a setup to suit a softer hydraulic roller, just one of the issues.
Have since found out its actually common to see issues with threads/castings/springs.
When questioned they didnt want to come to the party to fix the problems.
I would highly recommend 4 bolt mains on a 383, would on any performance holden v8.
I also agree for the hassles stick with a 355, seen them make 400rwhp, rev to 6500-6700 and are still well mannered for the street, nothing too exotic.
Must consider all elements of the engine not just chuck a bunch of parts at it coz fred says that manifold is awesome jim runs a sick cam.
Compression ratio, cam, manifold, heads, exhaust all work together.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users