• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 _76BLO_

_76BLO_
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:39 PM

Hi everyone well its been 20+yrs since I owned a Torrie
I now have a nice LX hatch with a blown 350
What I am chasing is full rego in QLD is there anyone who has a similar item with full rego.
The blower is a low profile but the cleaner sits out of the bonnet.
Posted Image

#2 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:12 PM

There is a black blown 350 LH in the QTCC. Low profile blower but Brett had to cut a hole in the bonnet and fit a hornet type scoop to cover the air cleaner. Not sure if he is on club reg or full reg but I dont believe it makes a difference. The car has to be roadworthy regardless of full rego or concessional rego in my understanding. No doubt our resident rego expert will set the record straight if I am incorrect.

Edited by Big T, 05 October 2010 - 04:14 PM.

#3 _76BLO_

_76BLO_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:54 AM

[quote name='76BLO' date='05 October 2010 - 03:39 PM' timestamp='1286257196' post='542594']
What I am chasing is full rego in QLD is there anyone who has a similar item with full rego.
Posted Image
[Thanks Tony
will keep an eye posts]

#4 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:57 AM

i have full rego with a 6/71 on a 350. but its in my ski boat with full rego

#5 Orange SS

Orange SS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:1976 LX SS Hatch

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:49 AM

a few months ago I called up the Dept of Transport and spoke to their head inspector and quite a few different places that do blue plates in SE QLD and basically got the same answer from them all. It cannot be done legally. I would be very interested if you can find someone that will sign it off or if there is a way to do it legally.

#6 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:36 AM

What did they say was illegal? I am assuming it was capacity?

Edited by Big T, 06 October 2010 - 11:37 AM.

#7 _76BLO_

_76BLO_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:52 AM

So what is the difference between having a car registered on club reg and full???
I have seen plenty of club cars going around with superchargers exposed and covered. Yet all one has to do is change plates to private plates and drive your car till you get busted.
I will keep trying to get my car on full rego with the blower. I can see this topic going further.

#8 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:07 PM

So what is the difference between having a car registered on club reg and full???

The only difference I know of is cost and restrictions on use. Regardless of SIV or Full rego, the car still needs to be roadworthy and will still need the relevant mod plates.

#9 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:42 PM

So in VIC its true that your club reg car needs to meet the same roadworthy standards as for normal reg. There seem to be plenty stretching this rule though. Your best option is street rod "registration".
As long as you are respectful and dont act like a tool you can have a wildly modified vehicle accepted to the scheme.

#10 Orange SS

Orange SS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:12 PM

QLD transport told me a torana can only legally have around a supercharged V6(cant remember extactly now) due to a formula they use to allow engine mods with body weight. mod code LA1 or LA3 I think?

One thing I noticed after calling quite a few different places is that it was hard to get the same answer out of any of them. The dept of transport mentioned that any modification should be blue plated and that with new rules Power to weight ratio can also be taken into consideration. They said that the Dept of Transport/police can make you get a dyno test if they think your car is outside the allowable limits. One blue plate guy said he even puts a blue plate on for roller rockers and different cam which seemed a bit over the top!

The body weight of the vehicle according to the Dept of Transport was the heaviest weight of that model vehicle as mentioned by the manufacturer at time of release whereas 2 of the blue platers said they only go off the weight of the particular vehicle in question(so make your car heavier and you can do more to it??)

It was a very confusing week when I was trying to get a strait answer out of engineers and dept of transport. But the end result was that its illegal to supercharge any V8 in a torana in QLD.

THis is the number for the modifications help desk (QLD Transport):- 07-032534851

Edited by Orange SS, 06 October 2010 - 01:13 PM.

#11 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:28 PM

Posted Image

pics please?????????

#12 Shtstr

Shtstr

Formerly lcxu105

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts
  • Name:Mmmmmmm
  • Car:lx hatchback lc gtr

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:15 PM

in QLD you can only have 314 (308+60thou) max cubic inches natural or 260 cubic inches turbo or supercharged. You can have as many turbo and or supercharger combo you like as long as it stays under 260 cubic inches

Posted Image

pics please?????????

#13 _76BLO_

_76BLO_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:54 PM

[quote name='Orange SS' date='06 October 2010 - 01:12 PM' timestamp='1286334777' post='542826']
QLD transport told me a torana can only legally have around a supercharged V6(cant remember extactly now) due to a formula they use to allow engine mods with body weight. mod code LA1 or LA3 I think?

One thing I noticed after calling quite a few different places is that it was hard to get the same answer out of any of them. The dept of transport mentioned that any modification should be blue plated and that with new rules Power to weight ratio can also be taken into consideration. They said that the Dept of Transport/police can make you get a dyno test if they think your car is outside the allowable limits. One blue plate guy said he even puts a blue plate on for roller rockers and different cam which seemed a bit over the top!

The body weight of the vehicle according to the Dept of Transport was the heaviest weight of that model vehicle as mentioned by the manufacturer at time of release whereas 2 of the blue platers said they only go off the weight of the particular vehicle in question(so make your car heavier and you can do more to it??)

It was a very confusing week when I was trying to get a strait answer out of engineers and dept of transport. But the end result was that its illegal to supercharge any V8 in a torana in QLD.

THis is the number for the modifications help desk (QLD Transport):- 07-032534851
Hi will get some better pics of engine area when I get home out at work for the 3 next nights.

Attached Files

#14 _76BLO_

_76BLO_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:57 PM

I dont really want to go down the line of club rego because I like to drive the car but if I have to then I suppose I will.

#15 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:53 AM

I dont really want to go down the line of club rego because I like to drive the car but if I have to then I suppose I will.

Mate, it is not going to make any difference what type of registration you are on. If you cannot get the car mod plated to conform with QLD Transports regulations you are not going to get registration either.

If however the mods are approved and signed off in QLD then you are free to register the car which ever way you like.

Nice looking hatch too by the way :spoton:

Dunno about the max cubes of 314 n/a in an LH Torana, oh wait, hang on I just figured it out. 314ci applies to an LC\LJ Torana based on 1067kg. The LH is quoted as 1205kg and can therefore have a higher capacity. I know of an LH that got mod plated and registered with a 350 only a month ago. According to the Code of Practice found HERE and using the formula on page 31 the max capacity for an n/a engine in an LH Torana is 354ci, turbo or supercharged is 294ci. If this Code of Practice is not current can someone please let me know? I tried calling the number above and apparently they are having technical difficulties (smoko?) and the recorded voice says to try again later.

Street Rod registration is not an option for this car in QLD. It is only applicable for pre 1948 type vehicles.

Edited by Big T, 07 October 2010 - 10:55 AM.

#16 Orange SS

Orange SS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:14 AM

This is the link the guy from QLD Dept of Transport emailed through to me in regards to engine mods. Might be helpful for you guys.

QLD transport link - NCOP3

#17 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:19 PM

This is the link the guy from QLD Dept of Transport emailed through to me in regards to engine mods. Might be helpful for you guys.

No, that is not what the Dept of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) in QLD uses. We are using the Code of Practice I linked to above. The NCOP is used in some states but not here yet (although it seems in the future that will change). If you are building a car and dont think it will be finished for a couple of years the NCOP would be a good guide to make sure your planned mods will be approved later on.

Im not having a go at Orange SS, and I have refrained from taking a swipe at TMR employees but it is really frustrating when well meaning people (such as Orange SS) get sent up the garden path with misinformation which then gets passed on.

I called the number above (I managed to get onto them this time) and the bloke assured me that what is on the TMR website is current and correct.

Edited by Big T, 07 October 2010 - 12:21 PM.

#18 Orange SS

Orange SS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:02 PM

No offence taken at all Big T - I'm very interested to find out what is/isnt allowed in regards to supercharging and larger motors and will be having a thorough read of the link you posted above. I pretty much gave up even thinking about supercharging due to differing answers from everyone I spoke to (including the guys at Dept of Transport).

#19 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:38 PM

The only difference I know of is cost and restrictions on use.  Regardless of SIV or Full rego, the car still needs to be roadworthy and will still need the relevant mod plates.

Mate, it is not going to make any difference what type of registration you are on. If you cannot get the car mod plated to conform with QLD Transports regulations you are not going to get registration either. 

If however the mods are approved and signed off in QLD then you are free to register the car which ever way you like.
Nice looking hatch too by the way  :spoton:

Dunno about the max cubes of 314 n/a in an LH Torana, oh wait, hang on I just figured it out. 314ci applies to an LC\LJ Torana based on 1067kg. The LH is quoted as 1205kg and can therefore have a higher capacity. I know of an LH that got mod plated and registered with a 350 only a month ago. According to the Code of Practice found HERE and using the formula on page 31 the max capacity for an n/a engine in an LH Torana is 354ci, turbo or supercharged is 294ci. If this Code of Practice is not current can someone please let me know? I tried calling the number above and apparently they are having technical difficulties (smoko?) and the recorded voice says to try again later.

Street Rod registration is not an option for this car in QLD. It is only applicable for pre 1948 type vehicles.

No, that is not what the Dept of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) in QLD uses. We are using the Code of Practice I linked to above. The NCOP is used in some states but not here yet (although it seems in the future that will change). If you are building a car and dont think it will be finished for a couple of years the NCOP would be a good guide to make sure your planned mods will be approved later on.

Im not having a go at Orange SS, and I have refrained from taking a swipe at TMR employees but it is really frustrating when well meaning people (such as Orange SS) get sent up the garden path with misinformation which then gets passed on.

I called the number above (I managed to get onto them this time) and the bloke assured me that what is on the TMR website is current and correct.

:iagree:

No engineer in QLD is going to sign off a charged 350 anymore.  What has happened in the past doesn't happen anymore, and some of those approved cars may have approvals recinded as TMR/cops catch up with them.  If you have a supercharged car over the currently approved capacity limit, DO NOT do anything that may result in a ticket as it will be used as an excuse.

Although it is legal to charge a <290cid V8, many engineers will also refuse to sign-off as most are constructed from larger motors destroked etc, so it doesn't take much once you get home to convert it to something they haven't signed off on.  

As Tony has mentioned, many (most?) of the phone jockeys you get when calling TMR don't know the rules for modified vehicles, let alone SIV scheme rego requirements.  If you find soeone who gives you correct information, keep their name and ask next time.  The information they access on their computers leaves a lot to be desired.  And the people who DO know the answers will only answer your questions via fax - so make sure you ask the right question or expect the wrong answer.

Grant..

#20 _Kush_

_Kush_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:54 PM

This is a bit off topic...... Can anyone tell me the engine capacity limit in Queensland for a Bronco? It weighs a bit over 2 tonnes. Blown versus naturally aspirated? My brother has one with a 351 in it but I think a big block will be much nicer.

#21 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:48 PM

No engineer in QLD is going to sign off a charged 350 anymore. What has happened in the past doesn't happen anymore, and some of those approved cars may have approvals recinded as TMR/cops catch up with them. If you have a supercharged car over the currently approved capacity limit, DO NOT do anything that may result in a ticket as it will be used as an excuse.

Although it is legal to charge a <290cid V8, many engineers will also refuse to sign-off as most are constructed from larger motors destroked etc, so it doesn't take much once you get home to convert it to something they haven't signed off on.

As Tony has mentioned, many (most?) of the phone jockeys you get when calling TMR don't know the rules for modified vehicles, let alone SIV scheme rego requirements. If you find soeone who gives you correct information, keep their name and ask next time. The information they access on their computers leaves a lot to be desired. And the people who DO know the answers will only answer your questions via fax - so make sure you ask the right question or expect the wrong answer.

Grant..
[/quote]

THANK THE LORD IM A VICTORIAN!!!!
THE LAND OF SENSIBLE ENGINEERS AND TORANA FRIENDLY STREET RODDERS.
R

#22 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:34 AM

Plus, you put a cage in and they'll lower your rego cost......

Non-Vic car owners are getting shafted.

Grant..

#23 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:37 AM

its not exactly legal, but there isnt anything to stop you stamping an engine number from a smaller capacity engine onto your block, grinding off the capacity and just keeping your mouth shut about the true capacity???

#24 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:45 AM

Up here we have Transport flying Squads - highly trained modified vehicle inspectors who are called out when the coppers stop a modified car. Many cops won't even look at your car now (except to admire) and will just tell you to hold tight til the inspectors arrive.........

I somehow don't think they'll miss a big ground bare patch on the side of the block......

Grant..

#25 Orange SS

Orange SS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:52 AM

its not exactly legal, but there isnt anything to stop you stamping an engine number from a smaller capacity engine onto your block, grinding off the capacity and just keeping your mouth shut about the true capacity???

My brother has an EH approved for a 327, and he has a 350 fitted and is assuming/hoping if he ever gets pulled over that the police will not be able to know the difference between 327 & 350. the blue plate only says Engine mod code and I'm guessing they would have to make him get an inspection(or the Transport flying squad as mentioned by enderwigginau) to find out exactly what type if engine I it can legally have(I think?? please correct me if I am wrong again?)

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users