30 replies to this topic

#26 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:53 AM

We have nothing like that here in NSW its basically a copper with a torch on the side of the road.

If they dont know or think something is up they send you for a blue slip inspection or an RTA inspection.

If the engine number matched the papers, and the papers say its a 308 etc etc then its basically all good.

There isnt alot of times when you can actually make out the casting on the side of the block, and im sure if you paid enough attention it wouldnt look like a "big ground bare patch"

But thats just a "what if" situation, no one here would do such a horrendous kitten killing thing :dontknow:

#27 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:28 PM

Orang SS -

The inspectors currently call the comms room for info on what the report says that was submitted when the blue-plate was attached. Soon (end of this month i think) they will have computers in their cars and be able to look it up for themselves. Don't think you're the only one who knows that a 350 crank fits a 327 block do you? Posted Image
These fellows KNOW what they are looking at and are all qualified.

Pull a plug, drop some wire in, hey presto - stroke measured, canary issued - thankyou sir.

If it's a 350 block - little less rooting around involved. Posted Image And these guys will be able to tell the difference between a 350 and 327 or 307 block visually. And you can only have "legally" what is on the report for the blue-plate as that is the registered engine. Any change of engine must be notified ASAP (that's the same in all states). That is as simple as walking into a Transport office ans saying your engine blew coming home from Warwick and we went to the wreckers and swapped a running one in - here's the details......so long as it is the same engine type - red6 for red6 etc.
If that report gave very explicit details of your engine (eg. actual capacity), then you are stuck with it unless you want to get a new blue-plate and report.

Grant..

#28 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2010 - 03:28 PM

if you want to stuff around you could go 253 stroked to 290 (same deal as a 333 stroker i heard) and still have your blown torana
all nice and legal Posted Image

#29 _Kush_

_Kush_
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2010 - 05:32 PM

It's not the cops you've got to worry about. It's the bloody scalies..... They dont restrict themselves to hassling just truckies. You can't ever get anything past them. They often set up road traps on highways when a car show is on. Scoundrels, the lot of them!

#30 _lxhatch_jim_

_lxhatch_jim_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:12 PM

Grant, you may know the answer to the million dollar question - when will QLD adopt the NCOP? I'm guessing the decision makers probably don't know.

Furthermore, the QLD COP lists 1205kg as the weight that must be used when calculating the maximum size for an LH, as the value is provided in the table. This gives 354.27 c.i.. I'd like to know if

a. 355c.i. (3.48" stroke, 4" piston at 30 thou over) would be approved given it's 0.73c.i. over the calculated value?

b. does the weight table value of 1205kg for the LH extend to the LX, which has an actual listed weight of 1183kg and therefore a maximum allowable of 347.8c.i.? Is a differentiation made between the models?

How flexible are the DOT in there interpretation of the QLD COP? Practically, 355 c.i. is 354.27 c.i., but could you swing a 1183kg LX to be a LH 1205kg - given the LX weight isn't in the table? The potential problem is that a person perceptive enough to understand +0.2% capacity isn't significant, would probably understand the effect 22kg would have on the calculated capacity.

Jim

#31 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:51 PM

Grant, you may know the answer to the million dollar question - when will QLD adopt the NCOP? I'm guessing the decision makers probably don't know.

Furthermore, the QLD COP lists 1205kg as the weight that must be used when calculating the maximum size for an LH, as the value is provided in the table. This gives 354.27 c.i.. I'd like to know if

a. 355c.i. (3.48" stroke, 4" piston at 30 thou over) would be approved given it's 0.73c.i. over the calculated value?

b. does the weight table value of 1205kg for the LH extend to the LX, which has an actual listed weight of 1183kg and therefore a maximum allowable of 347.8c.i.? Is a differentiation made between the models?

How flexible are the DOT in there interpretation of the QLD COP? Practically, 355 c.i. is 354.27 c.i., but could you swing a 1183kg LX to be a LH 1205kg - given the LX weight isn't in the table? The potential problem is that a person perceptive enough to understand +0.2% capacity isn't significant, would probably understand the effect 22kg would have on the calculated capacity.

Jim

Adopting the NCOP -you'll know when I know.....

a. It's over, full stop. It's not worth the arguement later in court if you've approved something outside the scope.

b. No difference, just use the LH value. If you strip out the car, bin the rear seats and blue-plate it as a two seater, I'm sure you can get closer to 1000kg......and that's legal. The weight is based on the sedan variant, I'm led to believe, unless there is a significant weight penalty on the coupe.

TMR don't need to be flexible, as they only run with the report for the blue-plate that you present (non-std engine), so it's the engineer you've gotta convince. See (a) above.

Grant..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users