Anyone know how to strip a hilux axle?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:48 PM

Hey guys, anyone know how to strip a hilux axle to the bare axle? I had a go this arvo but cant work out how to get the last bits apart :S

Posted Image

Posted Image

There was a circlip on the axle which I removed but didnt seem to help at all :S

I had holden ends welded onto my Hilux diff, So im hoping I can put a holden bearing (or another bearing with a ID to suit the axle and a OD to suit the Diff) with holden endplates

#2 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:48 AM

3 deep cuts around the retaining ring with a cold chisel will soon have it released, make sure you can get the new retaining rings from Toyota and that when you use the cold chisel the ring MUST be resting on an anvil or similar solid surface or you risk bending the axle, if it doesn't come off after you make the cuts...keep going, cut deeper and it will slide off.

#3 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:46 PM

We get mechanics and people off the street alike , come it with the axle and within 20minutes the old bearing is off , the new one is on , no damage to nuthin, and we only charge 40-60 bucks.We have a big arse press and adaptors to do it. If you have time and patience and a good quality cold chisel then you can chisel the collar off but often the bearing is tight enough to require press power.Good luck.

#4 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:36 PM

So the retaining ring is the cast bit around the bearing? How do you fit a new one then? does it get fitted before the bearing and then you press the bearing onto the axle?

#5 _NZ Toranaman_

_NZ Toranaman_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:53 PM

lump of hardwood on the ground, leave the brakes and all on, hold upright with brakes at the top and thump into the wood, if it doesnt start to move after 15-20 hits smack the shiny steel retaining ring with a cold chisel. Its the ring you can see in the photo closest to the spline end
I can do them on and off using the same ones most times..

Pressing them on can frOck them, this from experience after I thought I would get one done.
To assemble turn axle so the spline is in the air, get a piece of galvo pipe.. about 40mm i think and about 400-500mm length then slide up and down the axle until ring is in place.

Total cost in most cases is the pipe.

Edited by NZ Toranaman, 07 January 2011 - 04:57 PM.

#6 _benster208_

_benster208_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:04 PM

the retaining ring is the shiny steel piece resting against the inner part of the bearing. Most of them are very tight and you normally need to use the cold chisel on it. After you get it off you should be able to use NZ toranamans trick to get the bearing off unless its really tight, then your going to need the use of a press. However, you really should use a new retainer when you reassemble and it goes on last.

#7 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:12 PM

Ahh sweet thanks guys, will give it a shot tommorow

#8 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:32 AM

lump of hardwood on the ground, leave the brakes and all on, hold upright with brakes at the top and thump into the wood, if it doesnt start to move after 15-20 hits smack the shiny steel retaining ring with a cold chisel. Its the ring you can see in the photo closest to the spline end
I can do them on and off using the same ones most times..

Pressing them on can frOck them, this from experience after I thought I would get one done.
To assemble turn axle so the spline is in the air, get a piece of galvo pipe.. about 40mm i think and about 400-500mm length then slide up and down the axle until ring is in place.

Total cost in most cases is the pipe.

not our press baby.... it has adaptors that bolt to the hubs themselves. We used to knock em off using the hardwood method but we had a set one day that would not come off no matter what took 2 of us , an oxy, and some deep internal hand injuries (my bosses hands swelled up like balloons ). And if you ask me your better off removing the retainer first with the cold chisel.

#9 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,015 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:39 AM

I would take the lock collar off first too.
Also, if a press needs to be used to remove the bearing, I would have a close inspection of the bearing if it is going to be re-used.
The reason is that you would be pressing a load onto the outer race via the balls and onto to the inner race to remove it which could damage the races/balls.

#10 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:20 PM

I would take the lock collar off first too.
Also, if a press needs to be used to remove the bearing, I would have a close inspection of the bearing if it is going to be re-used.
The reason is that you would be pressing a load onto the outer race via the balls and onto to the inner race to remove it which could damage the races/balls.

good point mate , i just assumed that the bearing was knackered and was getting replaced. I would never re-use a bearing that had been pressed off .

#11 _turbolj_

_turbolj_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:45 PM

hey mate do u know what model or year diff that is? reason is im after handbreak cables that r the same as yours for my hilux diff gota make up some way to adapt them to my torana handbrake. because im not sure what model to ask for when im chasing cables up.

#12 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:32 PM

Think its from a 1990 or 1992 but not 100% sure sorry

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users