Dry sump 308 Holden exercise !

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#76 _rocket_

_rocket_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:03 PM

Thanks Evil. No mate, left last year.
Sorry Mark, no tensioner, the toothed belt runs slack, teeth help drive it, and saves the bearings in the pump, called a HTD (high torque drive) belt.

#77 jason365

jason365

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Name:jason
  • Car:76 lx ss racer

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:16 PM

hi rod, just read the whole story so far looks great.i may dry sump mine at a later date to compliment the priority mains oiling tho its working great for now{ doesnt seem to like being inverted tho}.im pretty sure the priority mains oiling was neil burns wet sump secret back in the hdt days,also believe perkins chev beating holden v8 commodore in the early v8 group A days ran priority mains aswell on a wet sump set up.however it would be hard to beat a well sorted dry sumped engine.
keep up the good work, jason.

#78 _rocket_

_rocket_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:53 PM

Thanks Jason, go to see you have yours all back in order again, been following the thread over at V8.Im looking at having it running in the next 2 weeks, then off for a wheel alignment and a run in.Would like to have a few laps in it before the masters in sept.

#79 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:37 PM

looks good rocket, love your work. what your doing is going along way to helping others with info, so thanks for that.

#80 _rocket_

_rocket_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:57 PM

Thanks Ozy, I should have done it from the start, would have saved a heap of money on bearing issues and rebuilds, but I guess things dont always go to plan, as in, the car was never going to end up as far as I have gone with it.

#81 _L32M20_

_L32M20_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:48 PM

noice!:buttrock:

#82 _rocket_

_rocket_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:09 AM

Thanks Jimmy !

#83 _rocket_

_rocket_
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:04 PM

Finally got it all finished, and 1st test session was at Lakeside for the 50th anniv. of touring cars.Had a run with all the legends, but the diff dropped a pinion bearing after 3 or so laps, so that was the end of that.Got a new diff built at Currumbin diffs, great blokes, did it in 2 days, also changed the ratio from 3;7;1, to 3;55;1, took it to get dynoed, made 375.3 hp at the treads, so was rapped with that, and 527 ft torque.Went out for the 1st session at the masters, all good, pulls like a train, but blew a oil line from the pump to the feed into the engine, covered the exhaust, front brakes and the underside of the car in oil, big smoke screen out the back, thought I had actually locked the back wheels, but then the light came on, so shut it down and rolled onto the main straight, and waited for the tilt tray.Problem was I used 2 400 series push lock lines instead of braided, learnt my lesson.

Not to bad with old heads.

#84 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:15 PM

Is it true the car is advertised for sale ?

#85 _rocket_

_rocket_
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:03 PM

Yes mate, on my105, time for leanne to get some attention for 6 yrs.

#86 _Cantstandguesers_

_Cantstandguesers_
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:41 PM

having looked inside my L34 engine ill guarantee as with most motors is getting the oil from the top of the motor back out. Thats why you run out of oil not corners etc. You will see that they have cut away heaps of metal to allow the surplus oil from a high reving motor back to the bottom. If you use a dry sump without this you will hydraulic the motor and run out of oil no matter what.

#87 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,769 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 17 November 2014 - 06:23 PM

Spray bars in rocker covers might work to regulate top end oil ?

[attachment=49278:sb5.JPG]

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users