how to clean corroded fuel tank

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:28 AM

Molasses and water,10 to 1 ratio i think is what i have,results are outstanding.I have a friend with a huge tank to throw in whole panels,works a treat.Molasses is cheap at horse feed places,something like a dollar a litre,they bleed it out of a 44 up here.

#27 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

Get one of those big plastic water tanks in the cage....they've been going for $80 lately....
Cut a BIG hole in the top, screw on some cross braces so you can put it back on top as a cap and bob's yer uncle.......
Usually, the water will evaporate, so unless it goes completely mang, you can just keep topping up the water and the mollasses will stay in there.

#28 _thorley_

_thorley_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

I didnt completely understand his process.
Did he do one rim in Molasses mixed with what, water? and another in just white viniger?
or did he mix molasses and viniger?

I haven't done the vinegar yet, and it's not going to match up to the Molasses. I would only do it to for a video to spare you the failure.
The success shown in the video and the method I would recommend using whenever practical is, 1 part Molasses to 9 parts water. Everything clean, oil would kill it. Make sure there is a lid on it or it might attract mice. It may foam a little that means it's working hard, so allow room in the container for the foam. Make sure your parts are completely submerged, check it in two weeks.

#29 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:37 AM

If you can't fully submerge the parts you need to have room to turn them over to do the other half.
Where there is a cavity, it need to be able to get filled, s you couldn't push say a door in not deep enough for the mollasses to spill into the inside.........

Grant..

#30 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:34 AM

I have a large bucket with brown vinegar/water & it works great. A friend restores old tractors & uses molasses/water mix in a large vat, while it works good it does get a bit smelly during summer but his shed is 50 metres from the house.

#31 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

So basically any acid will work even hydrochloric.
Cleaning the loose scale off first will aid the process.
Key elements being the part must be free of grease and oil etc and depending on the amount of rust present and the strength of the mix will determine how long you should leave the item submerged.
Be aware if you have highly detailed parts you will need to check them more often as any acid base will etch into the surface and begin to erode it.

#32 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

You are correct, but the reason people use Mollasses is that it attacks the rust very well but does not attack paint and other things.

If you use a full on acid it will eat the paint and start to etch/eat the metal if you forget to take it out.......

Grant..

#33 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:32 AM

That reminds me,over 10 years ago a friend was cleaning his LC XU1 tags in acid,got a phone call,guess what,forgot,when he remembered they were gone.That car ended up fully tubbed,blown alcohol engine,made front cover SM mag.

The molasses does not attack things like acid,i,ve had things in there for months ,and the steel is not damaged,and yes degrease things first.

When i want a quick result,hydrochloric acid is great but Very dangerous,and eats away things quickly.

#34 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

I,ve got this result after 3 months in a 20 to 1 mix,

They were rusty and real ugly,i chucked them in the tank,dragged them out to find all the hard work done for free.

Paint has lifted many times for me,mainly after a long period,dont think 2k would shift.Just use a bit of metal conditioner and etch.

I just used the garden hose to wash off,no pressure cleaner needed,just throw parts in the mix for the future.

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

Edited by 73BATHXU1HTBATH350, 22 April 2013 - 07:25 PM.

#35 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

Looks good.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users