NJ prefix

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:09 PM

Hello all,
Does anyone out there know what the NJ prefix engine was for? ( cast date July 72 )
It has a steel crank and S moulded into the main bearing caps.

I had thought it might have been for a Bedford or something, but do not know the models of these to be able to match it up.
The only other thing I could think of was that it was a special LJ engine, but this is less likely.

Any suggestions please?

mike

#2 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:06 PM

maybe they lost the L letter punch, or thought the J was the L until after they punched it in !

#3 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,528 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:53 PM

What size is it? What is the number after NJ? 4 or 5 or 6 digits?

It won't be an LJ engine. The only J prefix LJ engines were those new in LJ: JL and JP, rest retained the LC's Cx prefix. Plus JL didn't get a steel crank.

#4 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,629 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:17 PM

What size is it? What is the number after NJ? 4 or 5 or 6 digits?

It won't be an LJ engine. The only J prefix LJ engines were those new in LJ: JL and JP, rest retained the LC's Cx prefix. Plus JL didn't get a steel crank.

Anyway the J (second letter of the prefix) refers to the engine capacity and compression ratio not the model of vehicle it was intended for.
Maybe it's a 173 block and the D didn't stamp properly so it looks kind of like a J???

BTW Mike, Bedford model code for 1972 era was CF.

#5 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,528 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:54 AM

The number after the letters will just about give up the mystery. If the steel crank is original and it has a 4 digit engine number it just about has to be a Nasco replacement LC XU-1 engine. That means there was a stuff up stamping NK and NJ was stamped instead. If it has 202 size bearings it could be NL as well, there are some engines in HQ where the L wasn't stamping properly and they look like QI.

#6 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:03 PM

The number after the letters will just about give up the mystery. If the steel crank is original and it has a 4 digit engine number it just about has to be a Nasco replacement LC XU-1 engine. That means there was a stuff up stamping NK and NJ was stamped instead. If it has 202 size bearings it could be NL as well, there are some engines in HQ where the L wasn't stamping properly and they look like QI.

Yes its a 186.
I think you are right about a mix up after all J and K are along side each other in the alaphabet if the stamps were ordered in alphabetical order, I have grabed the wrong one myself, and you don't realise it until you strike it with a hammer then its too late!

I wasn't game to say it could be a mix up due to past critism about my WA police stamped number.

This engine does have the usual 186 journal size, the crank has red paint on it and NF which I think could mean National foundry, a 149 crank I have here has AFE or something instead, which could mean Australian Foundry Engineering.

The fuel pump that seems be from this engine in the box of rubbish also has no date code indicating it might have been a new replacement too.
The cam has no markings at all not even Holden, but was machined from one of their same relieved blanks, it does have a JP 936 number gear on it so it is any body's guess if it is original.
This engine has been rebuilt and would need to be sleved to bring back to life.

Main bearing caps have a S moulded into them something like to the early 186 Nasco engines that had a S at the end of the engine number. might stand for Nasco service engine. could mean short engine too as has been suggested before.

If it had been just a block and piston replacement it wouln't need a prefix at all like my Police number stamped block, because all 186 block and pistons sets were identicle.

I didn't get the XU-1 type head with it but it seems to have worn a Yella Terra which came in the pile of bits.

Mike

Edited by Mike73, 21 August 2011 - 08:18 PM.

#7 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,629 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:17 PM

Yes its a 186.
I think you are right about a mix up after all J and K are along side each other in the alaphabet if the stamps were ordered in alphabetical order, I have grabbed the wrong one myself, and you don't realise it until you strike it with a hammer then its too late!

Mike

Stamping your own engine numbers are you Mike? :innocent:

#8 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:17 AM

just a quick question, if its a ck replacement nk engine can i have the build cast date on the block, has i have a nk and have chased down 2 others, so far all 3 have the same cast date, also the 4 digit engine number so i can see how close yours is to mine.

cheers gong

#9 meanmachine72

meanmachine72

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts
  • Name:Jono

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:55 AM

thanks craig
i will amend my records to show as such..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users