• 736 posts
  • Name:Mark

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:27 PM

No, now the scuff plate won't sit correctly

#27 _WantOneNow!_

_WantOneNow!_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:46 PM

Yes, now it all makes sense and that's why you were short originally! The pinch weld is only meant to just sit under each side of the scuff plate, not cover the whole area around the door. You have cut it too long.
Cheers Mick.

#28 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:52 PM

You might have to write another email Hanra :blush:

#29 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:44 PM

Yes, now it all makes sense and that's why you were short originally! The pinch weld is only meant to just sit under each side of the scuff plate, not cover the whole area around the door. You have cut it too long.
Cheers Mick.

Absolutely correct, the ends of the pinch weld just tucks into the ends of the scuff plate. There should also be metal clips under the scuff plates that hold the carpet in place. I hunted around and found some serviceable ones but ended up using ones from a later model car as they did the job way better.

Good luck with it.

Edited by The Baron, 05 January 2012 - 09:45 PM.

#30 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,903 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:55 PM

Well looks like I'm having humble pie for dinner!!!!

Weird, I've never come across a setup like this... But yes... This is why I ended up short!!!

I should have read my manual first!!

Posted Image

#31 _stretchlc_

_stretchlc_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:40 PM

Thats the idea.....I didnt think they ran all the way along the inner sill panel anyway....well atleast, not on any Torana I've ever owned anyway!...I think theres not alot of provision in the scuff plates form to run the pinch weld all the way along....only on the ends!

..................................Like I said!

#32 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

Hi Brad,

now it all makes sense....... See the pics below... This is an original unrestored car..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

cheers
Mick

#33 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

Absolutely correct, the ends of the pinch weld just tucks into the ends of the scuff plate. There should also be metal clips under the scuff plates that hold the carpet in place. I hunted around and found some serviceable ones but ended up using ones from a later model car as they did the job way better.

Good luck with it.

Hi BAron

I might have to check the cars to see if they have the clips for the carpet. Might be something we remake.

cheers
Mick

#34 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,903 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:07 PM

Thanks for those images Mick!!! I'm still dining on humble pie as we speak!!!!!! :-D

#35 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:52 AM

Posted Image

Nice GM muddies, I tore of a set like that on a SL hatch once whilst backing up a curb.

Mick, I will look for the originals over the next few days and as I will be getting out of toranas now, I will send them on at no cost if I find them. Infact I will be quiting over 20 years of collected stuff through out this year.

Cheers

#36 _torbirdie_

_torbirdie_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:29 AM

...... as I will be getting out of toranas now, I will send them on at no cost if I find them. Infact I will be quiting over 20 years of collected stuff through out this year.

Cheers

you are selling the a9x as well?

#37 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:42 PM

Nice GM muddies, I tore of a set like that on a SL hatch once whilst backing up a curb.

Mick, I will look for the originals over the next few days and as I will be getting out of toranas now, I will send them on at no cost if I find them. Infact I will be quiting over 20 years of collected stuff through out this year.

Cheers

Thanks Baron

PM Sent..

cheers
Mick

#38 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:14 PM

you are selling the a9x as well?

Once I have sold a few spares to raise funds so I can fix up the engine again and complete a couple of minor things, I will be putting it on the market. But whether I get the price I would like to get will be subject to market recovery. ie I won't be giving it away as it needs to pay for a life style change away from automotive interests. It has not been an easy decision and I am not in a hurry as it is part of a 2 years or less plan.

Cheers

#39 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:33 PM

Found one of the clips (SP2501), it is even in one of the photos above.

Mick, give me your postal address & I will send it on.

#40 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:57 PM

Thanks Baron

I didn't even notice that when I took the scuff plate off..

PM Sent

cheers
Mick

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users