308 water pump help

308 water pump

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 _Calvin74_

_Calvin74_
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:26 AM

Hey People, at the risk of looking supid I ask, I have got my LH looking good for the road. However, my waterpump does not match up with the crank pulley it looks to be about 8-10mm to short on a turbo pattern 308 block can anyone help me out? I have the water pump pulley bolted straight onto the water pump?
Attached File  IMG_1653.jpg   54.93K   8 downloads

#2 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:00 AM

you got the wrong pump for your application
sorry for been blunt ....

#3 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:03 AM

As Quages has kindly pointed out there are two holden V8 pumps, Pre 80's and post 80's, the later being slightly bigger to house the larger bearing for the thermo clutch fan.

Edited by TerrA LX, 12 February 2012 - 08:07 AM.

#4 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:21 PM

sorry it's hard to be tactfull at 1 am.....

#5 _L32M20_

_L32M20_
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:24 PM

short snout and long snout

#6 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:49 AM

The difference between the short and long is about 16-17mm so hopefully that's the actual difference you have. Otherwise it could be the wrong crank pulley or a combination of the two.

#7 Bernie

Bernie

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Car:2 lx Hatches and 3 lx 4 doors

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:00 AM

Calvin .Off to the wreckers ,Take the hub with you .There are numerous driven pulleys that have different depths .Measure what you need and track one down ,Are you going to run a fan off it?If so go for a smaller diameter pulley .It will give you more fan speed .It will help your air flow at idle or low speeds which is handy .Will need to change the belt as well if you go that way.

Other option is to use a steering wheel puller and pull the water pump boss out until it lines up correctly .Just make sure that the driven hub and fan (if your using one )still locates on the shaft spigot as this helps keep the assembly central .

Bernie

Edited by Bernie, 13 February 2012 - 08:05 AM.

#8 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:50 AM

To my eyes, the pump looks to be the correct length housing. The newer 'Blue Motor 'Jumbo Pump' will be much too long to overcome your problem.

The lower pulley also looks correct, so your issue could be one of 2 things.

1. The hub on the pump shaft has been pushed on too far (use a puller to bring it back).
2. The harmonic balancer is not all the way onto the crankshaft.

Going by the line-up of the alternator pulley, I would guess at fault no. 1

Dr Terry

#9 _Calvin74_

_Calvin74_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:09 AM

Hey thanks for your help fellas problem is sorted :)

#10 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:00 AM

And the problem was?

#11 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:06 AM

Was it the long snout belt pulley on a short pump

#12 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:01 PM

I had these dramas 15 years ago with my SS. It kept pulling the guts out of the pumps once you gave it a decent rev. It turned out I was stupidly just buying cheap shit pumps and they didn't line up with the belts. During the process I bought 2 genuines Holden pumps, one with the smaller bearing and one with the larger bearings they fitted to the blue motors. The spacing was identical as I fitted both and only decided to go to the larger bearing after I fitted the large clutch fan. I ended up removing that later and fitting twin thermo fans.
The difference between the cheap shit brand and the holden brand was around 1/78 inch spacing, and for a while I fixed the problem by making a simple spacer up to go under the pulley. I still have it in the shed somewhere saw it the other day.

#13 a9x868

a9x868

maurice mead of hatchbacks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts
  • Name:facebook dave
  • Car:valencia holden torana a9x hatch ultimate improvement on the barbados L34

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:16 PM

I had these dramas 15 years ago with my SS. It kept pulling the guts out of the pumps once you gave it a decent rev. It turned out I was stupidly just buying cheap shit pumps and they didn't line up with the belts. During the process I bought 2 genuines Holden pumps, one with the smaller bearing and one with the larger bearings they fitted to the blue motors. The spacing was identical as I fitted both and only decided to go to the larger bearing after I fitted the large clutch fan. I ended up removing that later and fitting twin thermo fans.
The difference between the cheap shit brand and the holden brand was around 1/78 inch spacing, and for a while I fixed the problem by making a simple spacer up to go under the pulley. I still have it in the shed somewhere saw it the other day.

gee red what else have you got in that shed of yours?
you must have a fuc@#& huge shed?

#14 _Calvin74_

_Calvin74_
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:45 PM

Well you are all going to think im dodgy but I just spaced the pulley out with washers for the moment as I found exact washers to fit the shaft, Im running a thermo fan so it is my intention to get a Gilmer Belt Drive so i didnt want to buy another water pump at the moment and then get the drive and work out its wrong one. Im pretty sure what I need is as GM said the post 80 water pump needing the bigger bearing for clutch fan.

#15 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,902 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:01 PM

Think twice about the Gilmer Drive..

#16 _Calvin74_

_Calvin74_
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:18 PM

Why's that just noisy or is there something else i should know? :)

#17 _Calvin74_

_Calvin74_
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:28 PM

Hi,

REDA9X is it still possible to het a Genuine Holden Water pump mate? I didnt even think about going to holden.....
May give them a call tomorrow thanks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users