Front end build

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 _slr6000_

_slr6000_
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:09 AM

I’m rebuilding the front end of my Torana and pretty sure it’s an LX but not %100, have included a pic of the k-frame holes, someone might be able to confirm what it is?
I have a UC Torana i can get parts from and just after some advice on what direction to go.

Basically i want to use the LX Stub axle as i have my brakes set up on this already, and will only have narrow tyres as it has no flairs. Just need to find out if it is worth changing to the UC upper control arms and steering arms? And getting some caster, camber, toe in settings that would work well.

I’m hoping Toranamatt69 or one of the other guys who have been working hard on all the bump steer issues might know just what is needed in my situation

Attached Files

#2 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:43 AM

Judging by that, the holes are in the middle (neither top which is UC or bottom which is LX RTS) so either LH or pre-RTS LX.

Yes it is worthwhile changing to the UC top arms to gain a bit of caster. If you do this you will need the UC steering arms, if you don't you won't.

There is no real down side to caster but how much you can achieve depends mostly on wheel clearance to the firewall, anywhere between 1 and 4 degrees positive should be achievable with the UC top arms. Camber should be negative, how much depends on how hard you drive the car and what sort of tyre wear you are willing to put up with, normally I'd say 3/4 to 1 degree negative for a street driven car. Static toe in depends on what sort of bushes (how stiff your front end is), rubber bushes require a little more than polyurethane as the aim is to get zero toe under load/when moving - around 2mm for rubber bushes is a good start.

#3 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:43 PM

I you have a UC front end then I would use the whole UC front end.

The UC and LX stub axles are the same so it will not affect your brake setup. The UC lower control arms are lighter, have larger shock holes and the UC steering arm bump stops. The UC rack is solid mounted and as 76lxhatch recently found is a different width compare to the LX rack to suit the UC upper control arm mounting postion.

#4 _slr6000_

_slr6000_
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:58 PM

Thanks for the replies
I have modified the LX control arms already to suit clear the brakes so might stick with them, if i add the UC upper control arms ,steering arms and rack and weld on the steering arm bump stops it should be pretty much the same set up as the UC?
The only other thing that I’m not sure on is the best position for the upper control arm holes in the k-frame. I think i will lower the front end a fair bit from the standard ride height so not sure if going lower with those holes would work out? I can’t go any higher as i have dump pipes running through the inner guards above the control arms. The way I’m looking at it is, the lower the holes the more camber that is introduced as the suspension is compressed but if it’s already compressed from standard it might not be necessary?
I have an LH at the moment and the under steer in that is thing terrible, I’m keen to do whatever it takes to get this one right.

#5 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:01 PM

the advice you have received thus far has been spot on, there is no difference between lower control arms in terms of geometer so keep your old one if you want.

As for lowering the top mounting point of the upper control arms I say yes how much is very differicult to answer. it is dependant on ride height, wheel diameter, tire profile and front set up and what sort of driving you are aiming to do. as a very rough guide the top arm parallel to the ground with the car sitting flat on the ground so when corning and weight shifts to one side of the car under compression more camber is induced, but an aggressive set-up would have ball joint higher then mounting point so more aggressive camber gains are made under cornering

#6 _slr6000_

_slr6000_
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:56 PM

Yep that’s the way i was looking at it, i might drill the holes lower and rebuild it. I can make a decision on what ones to use once i have determined my ride height.

#7 _LH8VD69_

_LH8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:31 PM

Sorry to hijack the thread but when I had my front end rebuilt I supplied both UC upper control arms and the UC steering arms. When I got it back they hadn't fitted the steering arms as they said I don't need them and it won't make a difference?

#8 its Paul

its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:LXSS, VUSS, VESSv & the mighty HB

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:04 AM

Sorry to hijack the thread but when I had my front end rebuilt I supplied both UC upper control arms and the UC steering arms. When I got it back they hadn't fitted the steering arms as they said I don't need them and it won't make a difference?

So what model did they end up using?

Did they give a reason as to why it makes no difference, every one on here who has spent gobs of time setting up and calculating the geometery says the best setup if using UC front end and Torana stubs is UC steering arms.

Paul

Edited by its Paul, 03 June 2012 - 10:05 AM.

#9 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:21 PM

Absolutely it makes a difference! I've just been measuring bump steer for a rack conversion this afternoon and did a comparison using HZ power steering arms - the UC ones give me around 1.8mm toe change over 130mm of suspension travel, whereas the HZ ones were more like 57mm! Obviously there isn't quite as much difference to the LX arms but you get the idea.

However - something I only became aware of recently is that the UC rack is slightly wider than LX, I would highly recommend keeping upper control arm, steering arm and rack either all UC or all LX.

#10 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:45 PM

To some extent it will depend on the caster alignment used. The main difference between the LX and UC steering arms is that the UC arm is bends down lower than the LX. I believe this is to compensate for the extra caster in the UC factory alignment. Adding caster raises the steering arm.

Picture by dangerous
Posted Image

#11 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

Yes and height of the tie rod end makes a big difference, I should dig up an LX arm to compare while everything is set up

#12 _slr6000_

_slr6000_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:13 PM

Just got the UC front end out and the upper control arms are a lot higher compared to the other cross member, it’s strange how they have gone from the lower RTS position up higher for the UC.
I can see how going lower helps induce more camber but I’m thinking maybe the higher position helps with roll centres of which i know nothing about.
Could it be, being higher the weight of the car pushes harder into the tyre to help plant it on the road instead of wanting to roll over the tyre?
Here’s a link discussing roll centres, pretty complicated if you ask me LOL
http://www.circletra...y/photo_07.html

Has anyone lowered the position of the top arms in a UC and found it to handle better??
I guess i can just drill both set of holes and try both settings.

I also found that you can work out the roll center of the car. Has any one looked into this at all? heres a link explaining how to go about it http://www.circletra...tion/index.html
Theres a lot that goes into setting up the suspension by the looks of it

Edited by slr6000, 03 June 2012 - 04:22 PM.

#13 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:16 PM

Take a look at some of the other threads in this forum, has been discussed in detail

#14 its Paul

its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:16 PM

Has anyone lowered the position of the top arms in a UC and found it to handle better??
I guess i can just drill both set of holes and try both settings.

Thats what you do to get the A9X setup, but use A9X steering arms & HQ stub axles, with every thing else UC.

Paul.

#15 _slr6000_

_slr6000_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:33 PM

Yeah i know that’s what they did with the A9X but the stub axle as you said is HQ which would affect the roll centre as well. But I’m sure that would be the best position if going that way, you would think the engineers of the day would have looked into it fairly well
I’m just wondering if anyone has calculated the roll centres with the different control arm holes when using the lx stub axles.
I’ll have a good look through the other posts tonight and see what i can find out

#16 its Paul

its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:42 PM

Look up toramamatt, im sure he's looked into the steering arms.

#17 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:59 PM

I believe he's talking about the upper control arms rather than the steering arms. (Because the HQ stub axle is taller it alters the geometry somewhat along the same lines as this mod). As discussed in other threads here (there is also some more detailed stuff on roll centres on Toranamatt's cardomain page, http://www.cardomain...n-torana/page-2) lowering the mounting point of the upper control arm assists with better (negative) camber gain through suspension travel, and raises the roll centre very slightly (almost negligible).

#18 _slr6000_

_slr6000_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:49 PM

I’ve had a look at toranamatts stuff and he’s right into it and I’ve had a look around the net reading up on roll centres and it’s all very confusing LOL
I can see toranamatts calculations on where the roll centres end up but it really doesn’t mean much to me, I could spend the next 12 months researching and learning about race suspension tunning but i can’t see that getting the car on the road to soon.But it does look like the lower mounting point is helping
I will set it all up running all the UC stuff and the upper control arms in the lower position as suggested and i think it should be pretty good.
It is interesting to see though that he got the best bumpsteer settings using the HZ stub axle set up, i went with the LX as i thought that would give the best results but looks like it might be better setting it up to A9X specs.

#19 _LH8VD69_

_LH8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:04 PM

Ok , I have power steering out of a wrx I've believe, UC upper control arms , LH steering arms , Torana stubs and have UC steering arms which I thought would be better with the control arms. Not sure if the power steering makes a difference?

#20 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:22 PM

There are too many variables, steering rack, UCA mount position, caster alignment.

The only way to know for sure is to align the car with the LH steering arms and measure the bump steer. Then align the car with UC arms and measure the bump steer.

#21 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:40 PM

^ I've just done that about half an hour ago and it looks like I might have to eat my words about the LH/LX arms; they are wrong, but not _that_ bad...

Important: this applies specifically to my front end alignment and components as noted in the graph subtitle. If your alignment is different, the result will be different (although this still gives you an idea).

Posted Image

The UC steering arms show a max of 2.75mm toe out at full compression (this is hard on the bump stops, unlikely to get quite that far), and just a touch less at full droop. It has a nice curve and only shows toe out which is perhaps preferable to toe in for best control. +/- 40mm from ride height the bump steer stays within 1mm (half of what most people would set as static toe in to allow for bush deflection) so pretty good.

The LX steering arms (on a UC configured front end, remember) give a similar amount of bump in compression but its toe in rather than out, but not too bad. In droop we get toe out but anything over about 25mm travel becomes excessive and maxes out at just over 8mm toe out. During normal travel it is definitely a bit worse than UC, so if you had the arms you'd definitely use them. I don't recommend it but I can't see the bump steer sending you off the road if you stuck with the LX arms.

#22 _slr6000_

_slr6000_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:46 PM

i wonder if using the LX arms when you turn hard one side of the suspension is compressed and the other at drop if the toe out on one side and toe in on the other side would cancel each other out?
But i guess the toe out of the UC arms might be what is needed so the inside wheel is turning on a tighter radius.

Edited by slr6000, 05 June 2012 - 10:48 PM.

#23 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:57 AM

Yeah, toe out on turns (also known as Ackermann angle) allows the wheels to travel different directions as they are effectively on different arcs (forgetting slip angle etc for the moment). It shouldn't really be provided by bump steer though.

You are unlikely to get both a lot of lock and a lot of suspension travel at the same time except maybe hitting driveways on an angle at low speed. The worst part would be high speed cornering; very little wheel lock but the suspension travel could potentially cause a change in direction that the driver didn't anticipate. In this case it largely depends on the suspension travel available (lowered Toranas tend not to have a lot) but say you really hooked into it and got 40mm either way you could get a quarter degree steering change you didn't ask for. It would be toward the inside of the corner and it doesn't sound like a lot so I guess again while not recommended the LX arms aren't so bad...?

If on the other hand you used HZ power steering arms with the above combination, you could end up with over 4 degrees of steering change toward the outside of the corner along with 6mm more toe in than static (which would probably help add a bit more understeer)... scary!

#24 _slr6000_

_slr6000_
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:53 PM

Yeah that’s it i guess, There’s hardly any lock at all when going fast around a corner but the suspension is more than likely going to be on the bumpstops on one side and the other at full drop and if you’re really having a go that wheel probably won’t be one the ground anyway LOL
I guess getting all the suspension tuning right really comes into play when you come into a corner to hot like the pic below.
Posted Image

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users