Photo

Ford 9 Inch axle bearing retainer plate & gasket - what have I got here?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:Should have gone with Palais...

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:25 AM

I need some help with my 9 inch please.

The rear axle housing is in the car, as is the centre - ready for the axles;
Posted Image

Thing is the axle bearing retainer plates have a different profile to the axle ends, meaning there is a curved edge with a depression stamped into it whilst the other side matches the profile of the axle housing ends and is flat.

Above shows the axle housing end and below a couple of photos of the retainer plate.

Posted Image

This is the stamped depression in the retainer plate that I speak of;
Posted Image

So I trial fitted the left side but couldn't work out which way up was up if you get my meaning. This is with the depression facing down;
Posted Image

And so I looked at a few exploded diagrams of Ford 9 inch axles on the net to work out what was what, and to see if I hadn't missed anything. I found this photo on several sites;

Posted Image

From the above it seems the depression goes face down, but wondering what is the purpose of this depression and is facing down correct?

In any case, the above shows two axle retainer plate gaskets are required each side but this is where I am a tad lost (there was no gaskets in place when I pulled the rear axle down).

1. The two gaskets don't sandwich anything - one lays against the axle housing end and the other against the bearing retainer plate but otherwise they butt-up directly to each other - so why have two - why not one?

2. The profile of the axle housing end in the exploded diagram seems to match the retainer plate like I have, whereas the profile of the axle housing end on my car doesn't match it. If I were to fit it all up, then clearly a decent amount of the depression in the retainer plate will not be sealed by the gasket and this will leave the same open. Is this an issue and if so, is there any easy way to remedy it, or do I need to find myself a retainer plate that matches the profile of the axle housing end?

I am hoping someone has travelled this road and I can profit from their experience. Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers, TB

#2 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:27 PM

Posted Image

It may be that the axles were sourced from a different housing or the bearing housings were replaced as part of the conversion. If the holes in the retainer are significantly larger than the studs then it may indicate that they have been drilled out to suit the new style big Ford bearing housing.

I think RRS will be able to answer your questions if you do not get an answer here.
http://www.rrs-online.com/contact.php

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 10 June 2012 - 12:29 PM.

#3 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:Should have gone with Palais...

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:38 AM

Thanks for that - yeah I think you are right - the axle housing and retainer plates do not match and so something will need to be changed.

The good news is the retainer plates don't seem to be too difficult to change - cut the existing one off and fit one of the C shaped new style ones thereby not needing to remove the axle bearings to do the swap.

I've e-mailed RRS as suggested, and look forward to their advice - thanks again for your's.

Cheers, TB

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users