Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:1974 LH S

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:34 AM

Hi All,

As a small lead in to what's going on in my shed you may wish to read my introduction thread here: http://www.gmh-toran...st-time-poster/

Current Condition

As this thread grows I'm sure there will be plenty to share about my torana but as a starting point, I'll share a little of the history and few of the obvious things that are going to need some attention. When I got it all those years ago I believe the seller told us that he was selling it for his mum who I think (if my memory serves me correctly) lived all the way out at Streaky Bay (a small coastal town quite some distance from Adelaide where I live). I think I remember him saying she owned a farm and just used the car to drive into the township to get groceries etc. From the papers that came with it I can see that it had at least 2 other owners with the original owner trading in his EH sedan to own a true piece of history The only 'accessory' added at that time was a set of mudguards. The other owner looks to have had air con installed in1987. Some other modifications I noticed were the addition of a oil pressure and temp gauge where the ashtray used to be (it was a bit hacked and a bit of a pain to remove when I was pulling the rest of the interior out). I also noted that there were discs on the front. Now from what I've read I thought the S model came with drums all around so I'm thinking this was an upgrade at some point? I guess its a bit of a plus in that the disc stubs will be handy when I upgrade (I'm thinking of going hoppers kit - as it seems a fairly easy bolt on application and I'm new to this sort of thing). Now the other big mod that I'm not particularly happy about and didn't think much of at the time was a tow bar. I hate to think what this poor car may have towed in its life and what impact it may have had on the body.. hopefully its not too stretched (again didn't pay real good attention before dismantling and dont have as many pics as i'd like).

Major rust is in the usual places: radiator support is completely rusted out, i think if i knocked it with a hammer it would just drop off. When I pulled it apart the whole front nose cone was full of wet sand.. good times! Bonnet hinge support panels are rusted through. There is a bit of rust in the drivers door and some bubbling along the top of it. Most of the other doors look pretty good though maybe a couple of pings and one ding. Back when it was still driving it wasn't always garaged and I noticed during the wet season the boot would fill a little with water.. not sure where it was getting in but it would run up and down the quarter panels and I had to mop it out on a regular basis. Actually haven't looked back there in awhile but the car has been garaged since its mobile days so hopefully there isnt any major damage. As mentioned in my intro thread in my younger ambitious years I had started rubbing back some panels and well.. I never had them coated before throwing in the towel... they actually held up pretty well until more recent times but yeah now they are coated in a fair bit of surface rust! Is that going to be an issue or can I save them? Might have to start looking for some donors otherwise.

Attached File  IMG_0689.JPG   103.59K   14 downloads

I think i'll leave it there for now as once again it's late and I have work in the morning :ZZZ: Will post some pics tomorrow showing recent tinkerings..

#2 _BARRY JACKPOT_

_BARRY JACKPOT_
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:21 AM

Get amongst it dude, we all started somewhere. I can assure you there are builds on here that are in far worse shape than yours being done by regular everyday guys like us. All ya gotta do is pick a spot and start then just ask Lotsa questions, go son !

#3 _SLEDGE_

_SLEDGE_
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:47 AM

Love it, great start. Get stuck in to it!

#4 _Holden89nut_

_Holden89nut_
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:44 PM

Good work mate! I'm only starting out with mine so be good to follow your progress, will keep my motivation up !! Keep up the work mate!

#5 _Holden89nut_

_Holden89nut_
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:48 PM

Ps what are the plans for colour and engine combo

#6 HIBERN8

HIBERN8

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:58 PM

Hey Guys,

It's great to already see some interest in my project! Thanks for the words of encouragement! This forum is definitely full of inspiration with some amazing builds! Here's hoping mine will add to the list!

I'll try to get online tonight and fill you all in on some general project plans to wet your appetite. (I'm posting from my phone atm)

Look forward to checking out your project plans Holdennut!

#7 hawk

hawk

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,147 posts
  • Name:steve
  • Car:UC Torana

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

Looks like a good start post up some more pics and show us the bad spots
good luck

#8 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:16 PM

my stato boot looked worse than that....3 years in primer and holding a gate up tends to make em rust
but after a sand and rust convert it will come up good (one spot pitted so will need filling)
if you have the time coat in rust converter and douse in auto tranny fluid till your ready to do A proper job on them

#9 HIBERN8

HIBERN8

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:30 AM

Firstly jackpot I just read your story mate and when I watched that vid and heard that engine start up.. well i think someone must have been chopping onions in the kitchen.. Truly an amazingly epic story of passion mate. Loved it. Unfortunately like yourself and many of the posters on your thread I too lost a truly great person in my life. My dad died six years ago today from cancer. I feel as though my build is going to have a similar emotional connection in that dad was always asking when I was going to fix up that torana taking up space in his shed.. the time is here.

Hawk - some of those 'bad spot' pics will come in the next post though having a look at how some other projects started out (jackpot's a prime example) my bad spots kinda dont seem so bad anymore! But never know what i'll find down the track i guess!

Holdennut in answer to your question:

For a longtime my plan has been to paint it blue (i think i've seen pretty close to the color I'm after) with a black bonnet and window surrounds but there are so many delicious colours out there it's hard to 100% commit until I see some colours mixed up. As for the rest, well i'd like to say i'm keeping things original but that's not the path i've chosen. This car started with humble beginnings, it rolled off the line as the S series, the 'cheaper' model, the car that wished it was something more, something fierce... gone are the days of driving a little old lady to the store.. time for it to be reborn as something people turn their heads to catch a glimpse of as it goes past leaving behind a sound that the petrol heads of this world crave. The intention is to customise the car to my taste and I'm sure it may not be everyone's taste but I'll try my best to capture some of those characteristics that make these cars so lovable. Engine will most likely be a turnkey 350 chev, trans a T350 and 9 inch out the back. Not a particularly uncommon theme for a torana so hopefully will aid in having the build run smoothly as there aint many mods etc.

Quagmire - cheers for the tip mate any particular brands of rust converter you may recommend?

Gonna wind this one up now and get some pics in the next one.

#10 _Gunmetal LH_

_Gunmetal LH_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:41 AM

Coolies.

Where abouts in SA are you?

#11 HIBERN8

HIBERN8

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:48 AM

Ok so a few pics of the where the rust has set in:

Radiator support
Attached File  IMG_0720.JPG   98.03K   12 downloads

Bonnet Hinge support
Attached File  IMG_0722.JPG   98.46K   10 downloads

Drivers door
Attached File  IMG_0728.JPG   42.1K   8 downloads
Attached File  IMG_0732.JPG   78.07K   9 downloads

Rear Wheel arch (this may not be such a problem if guards are cut for flares - need to talk about that in a future post
Attached File  IMG_0733.JPG   82.98K   10 downloads

Beaver panel
Attached File  IMG_0748.JPG   85.29K   8 downloads

I guess overall there isn't really a whole heap to be that worried about! All my floors are great and pillars and glass surrounds/channels appear in great nick! Also had a look in the boot which I had remembered as being a bit icky and it aint really all that bad in there either!! :clappin: Given there is a little bog in the rear quarter that I had started to rub back there may well be some in the other and there were a couple of bogged spots on the bootlid too but nothing major. The 'nose cone' also is fairly rusted but dont think i have a pic handy and it's a bit late at night to be running out to the shed so will show yas all tomorrow.

#12 HIBERN8

HIBERN8

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:05 AM

And now for a few recent tinkerings

The engine on its way out
Attached File  IMG_0582.JPG   92.09K   7 downloads

The engine and trans out (all in one go - out the top! a little proud of my efforts there..)
Attached File  IMG_0586.JPG   271.76K   8 downloads

Frontend out (as previously mentioned this was a little overzealous and now will require some love so i'll be able to get the car on a trailer in the future)
Attached File  IMG_0611.JPG   114.74K   8 downloads

A crusty upper control arm
Attached File  IMG_0622.JPG   108.04K   8 downloads

A very gunky lower arm (I felt like an archaelogist chipping away at lost treasure!)
Attached File  IMG_0629.JPG   135.69K   8 downloads

Lower arm a little cleaned up still plenty to come of but the blasting can take care of that
Attached File  IMG_0649.JPG   106.81K   7 downloads

Disassembled frontend (bushes need to come out and balljoints - one of the uppers must have been the original? as it is riveted in. the thing is so stiff will be interesting to feel the difference with all this gear replaced!)
Attached File  LH Front end.JPG   121.94K   11 downloads

#13 HIBERN8

HIBERN8

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:08 AM

Gunmetal I'm down south mate a bit beyond blackwood :rockon: Yourself?

#14 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:17 AM

Basically all the common Torana rust spots. How's the plenum look?

Can't go wrong with the 350/T350/9 inch combo, been done plenty of times.

#15 _BARRY JACKPOT_

_BARRY JACKPOT_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:36 AM

Enjoy your day bro, I still find " The Day" hard after ten years, my good thoughts are with you man.

#16 _Holden89nut_

_Holden89nut_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

If ur looking fr panels I recent bought a heap from retro rods in qld heaps cheaper than rare spares !!! 40 dollars to
My door in vic

#17 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:53 PM

ranex is my prefered choice....but others have different ones...and it can be hard to find

#18 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:42 AM

Its always a lot more work than you first think. But its worth doing well when you get to the end. Always great to see a Torana get the TLC they deserve.

Second vote for retro rods rust panels. I choose to use them.

Edited by LXSS350, 18 July 2012 - 12:42 AM.

#19 HIBERN8

HIBERN8

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:35 AM

Hey Guys,

Thought I'd upload a few more pics.. cos everybody loves pics!! :D

Thanks guys for pointing out that panel replacement mob if I'm needing any I'll def check them out! and cheers for pointing me in the direction of a brand quagmire I'll check and see if it's available anywhere nearby.

ok so tonights pics..

firstly slr_v8 here is a few pics of my plenum. From what I can gather it looks in fairly good shape from the outside! I tried to stick my phone in and take a pic as well and doesn't look too bad in there! What do most guys do in regards to this part of the car given it is pretty hard to access? I read a couple of threads on here where guys had pulled the whole thing off and made repairs (though the rust in theirs was severe). Is there something it can be coated with?

Attached File  IMG_0754.JPG   112.67K   5 downloads
Attached File  IMG_0759.JPG   267.45K   5 downloads
Attached File  IMG_0762.JPG   221.92K   5 downloads

Next are some pics of those gauges I spoke of earlier in the thread and the damage they had done to the where the ashtray used to be..

Attached File  IMG_0776.JPG   79.88K   7 downloads
Attached File  IMG_0751.JPG   101.51K   7 downloads

#20 HIBERN8

HIBERN8

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:48 AM

Thought I'd go through my crates tonight and see where everything is. Came across my heater box and it looks in fairly good shape except for the fact its missing the front vents (car came like this). Had a peek in the back and the core actually looks alright but might pull it apart and take a closer inspection as the inlet/outlet pipes looked a bit corroded.

Attached File  IMG_0781.JPG   113.41K   11 downloads
Attached File  IMG_0782.JPG   119.58K   6 downloads

Next is the front panel which I said I'd take a pic of. One thing I noticed about mine compared to many I see on ebay etc. is the indicator hole and bumber hole are separate. Is this because most are rusted in between and have been cut out or was LX different to LH or something. I guess it doesn't really matter just curious. :wacko:

Attached File  IMG_0763.JPG   107.23K   6 downloads
Attached File  IMG_0764.JPG   100.42K   6 downloads
Attached File  IMG_0766.JPG   109.91K   6 downloads
Attached File  IMG_0768.JPG   107.11K   5 downloads

#21 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:44 PM

try bunnings for ranex....it may be hidden but
anything with phosphorus acid (i think that's how it's spelt) as it's base is good but

#22 _Emu_

_Emu_
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:55 PM

*follows thread*

#23 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:02 PM

Early and late LH had the indicators higher and lower I think. Can't remember which was which off the top of my head. That might be the difference.

#24 Ruts

Ruts

How Fast!?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
  • Car:Blown A9X replica, Black SS hatchback, LH SLR5000

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

Your front apron is the early type. I was told but someone that your type was used on the L34. The later ones were used to change the height of the front indicators as per ADR's. I could be wrong but if I am I guess I will be put in my place by someone.

Ruts

#25 HIBERN8

HIBERN8

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:57 AM

Hey Guys, it's been quite some time since I've last posted so just wanted to give an update to let you know things are finally starting to happen with my build! Have met a great bunch of blokes to help me out and am really excited about the direction things are heading in. Hopefully in the coming months I'll have further updates and some pics. Remember to never lose sight of your dreams because they're what makes life worth living!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users