#1 Indy Orange

Indy Orange

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • Name:Paul

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:58 PM

Hi all,i have a stock standard 253 and i am using unleaded fuel with flashlube additive ,the car runs just fine with this ,but while filling up today someone at the servo suggested i should be using premium unleaded with flashlube,is there any benefits in using that instead?

#2 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:14 PM

i used to run most of my cars on unleaded the only one that gave me trouble was my 302 powered xd wagon
and that was cause i cheaped out on the flashlube...
if you want to be flash use the 95 vortex it's nearly the same octane as the old super

#3 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:25 AM

The 253 was designed to run on 98 octane, so it may run better with it. Just get your tank as low as possible and try it.

#4 Indy Orange

Indy Orange

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:38 AM

I'llgive that a go and see how she runs .

#5 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:16 PM

The 253 was designed to run on 98 octane, so it may run better with it. Just get your tank as low as possible and try it.

???? how chop chop?
super/leaded was 96 octane avgas was the next step up at 102

#6 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:28 PM

Definitely run it on atleast premium, shouldnt need 98 unless its got a bit of work.

I would never even consider putting ULP into anything Pre 88ish.

That said the ski boat frOcking loves 98 (stock 308)

Cheers.

#7 Indy Orange

Indy Orange

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

If i use premium will i still need an additive?

#8 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

I wouldnt bother, and dont, but lots of people will tell you to, up to you.

Cheers.

#9 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

I don't think plain old unleaded is as bad as it's made out to be and I'll run it in anything that will tolerate it. I'll admit to being a cheap bastard but why put more expensive fuel through engines that don't need it. No additives either, hard seats or not.

#10 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,616 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

???? how chop chop?
super/leaded was 96 octane avgas was the next step up at 102

From memory, back in the late 70's Super used to be 98 octane, then it was reduced to 97 octane, then reduced to 96 octane when Super was replaced with LRP.

#11 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:04 PM

I don't think plain old unleaded is as bad as it's made out to be and I'll run it in anything that will tolerate it. I'll admit to being a cheap bastard but why put more expensive fuel through engines that don't need it. No additives either, hard seats or not.

That pretty much sums it up - if the engine will tolerate it (i.e. no pinging) then it doesn't need higher octane and is unlikely to benefit from it.

Valve seat recession isn't a factor when the engine gets rebuilt often!

#12 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,165 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:05 PM

I thought you got better fuel economy with the 98 or is that just a myth

#13 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,616 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:46 PM

I thought you got better fuel economy with the 98 or is that just a myth

More bounce per ounce so they reckon, so you can go easier on the throttle, but will the fuel savings outweigh the extra cost per litre for the higher octane fuel?

#14 _nicko61_

_nicko61_
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:39 AM

due to higher octane costing 10 cents a litre more its not worth the extra,just wind your dizzy timing back 3 or 4 deg and it will run fine,flashlube is just a rip and valve seat damage so minute it would take several years to even measure the damage as lots of cars are still going well with 10 years or more without flashlube,its far more likely they will need new valve stem seals than anything else.

#15 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:41 AM

More bounce per ounce so they reckon, so you can go easier on the throttle, but will the fuel savings outweigh the extra cost per litre for the higher octane fuel?

I didn't think higher octane fuel had anymore energy than low octane, so unless the engine was on the verge of detonation and the ECU was pulling some timing out I can't imagine the performance would change much at all. I've often wondered whether the gains some people report from using high-octane fuel in ordinary engines are mainly imaginary...

#16 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:53 AM

I have a 210kw VE SV6 auto, If I use Premium fuel I get 100kms further from a tank of juice over 91 octane. I did the same test with the previous Commodore which was a std VZ 3.6 povo pack, didn't matter what fuel was used, I couldn't measure any difference. With a car fitted with a carby & dizzy, you tune for the fuel you are using.
I have a VH Commodore, 253 that I drive to work, it has done 400000kms using 91ULP & hasn't had the heads lifted yet, it gets a bottle fo Flash lube every now & then.

Edited by warrenm, 30 July 2012 - 08:58 AM.

#17 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:53 AM

it has to be tuned for it for best effect...hence why hsv 304's had the extra knock sensor
but you know the saying if it ain't broke don't fix it
personally for a stocker i'd use 91/95
it's when you chase compression that you need 98

#18 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:35 PM

From memory, back in the late 70's Super used to be 98 octane, then it was reduced to 97 octane, then reduced to 96 octane when Super was replaced with LRP.

That's how I remember it.

#19 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:12 PM

I didn't think higher octane fuel had anymore energy than low octane

From memory out of the text book im reading atm with a big list of various fuels, components, and specific energy etc, Octane actually has less energy than petrol per say, but i may be reading that ass about face....MIT text books confuse me lol.

Cheers.

#20 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:35 PM

Higher octane is more about detonation reduction. LPG has a higher octane rating than ULP, but has less energy per litre.

#21 _Inj gtr202_

_Inj gtr202_
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:37 AM

Octane I thought was more related to burn rate rather than stored energy. High octane slow burn, low octane fast burn.

Most likely I'm full of s#%t so correct me as required if the above is bollocks.

Edited by Inj gtr202, 01 August 2012 - 10:37 AM.

#22 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:16 PM

I get better fuel economy in both the rolla and in the VT running them on premium, (I do 1000kms a week)

Drive behind someone running E10 on the freeway and see what that shit smells like when a cars under load, not nice!

You cant generally buy normal unleaded anywhere around here though, its all E10 or premium

#23 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:28 PM

And even if they have normal ULP its still got Ethanol in it.

Other reason i run premium as a minimum in everything.

Cheers.

#24 _LH8VD69_

_LH8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:32 AM

I run BP Ultimate in both my SLR and R8 from the day I bought them. I also run a Redline valve additive in the old girl. The only reason being is that I don't drive either of them alot and love them so they get the best ! Lol

#25 royalplumss

royalplumss

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Car:had L31 SS Hatch

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:38 PM

I have tried the different fuels on quite a few cars
I destroyed a 351 XB engine when they first released unleaded garbage. It was impossible to tune properly and eventually had to redo the heads with stainless seats. Worked a charm after that but still ran an additive (couldnt hurt)

HQ ute 173Cu. Hates anything but premium. Better fuel economy evens out extra cost and have unleaded heads done

Torrie 183 Cu. Hates anything but premium. Better fuel economy evens out extra cost and have unleaded heads done

Subaru 94' 2.2L Can even hear the engine pinging if i use anything but premium and really noticeable power difference on big hills

Gemini - stockish 1.6L - cant remember if they have hardened seats/valves from new but noticeable difference in power if anything but premium used. Not sure about economy

Harley. Dont even think about low octane. It may be able to be tuned to it - never tried - but why risk it for $1.50 a tank?

All in all I just cant justify the possible damage to an engine by using the cheap stuff. One damaged engine is worth more than you will ever save over many years and it is good to have peace of mind

FYI
Damage to an engine occurs BEFORE you can even possibly hear it pinging. This is well known in the aviation industry. Why do you think planes run on much higher octane.
Interesting reading if you look it up.

My 2 1/2 cents worth :-)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users