#126 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,018 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

These will do the same job, you might need to use one of these to trigger a bigger relay though? I'm not sure of the amps.
It would still be less than $50 I'd reckon.

http://www.ebay.com....=item4d058ba32c
http://www.ebay.com....=item4abfd9e1f2

Edited by rodomo, 06 January 2013 - 11:57 AM.

#127 _torbirdie_

_torbirdie_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

I've got my thermo fan relay triggered from the 'ON' position of the ignition circuit. That way the power to the fan relay is cut during cranking.

ehh, Im not sure how that can work, there has to be power to the ignition circuit when cranking or it wont start.

Edited by torbirdie, 06 January 2013 - 12:08 PM.

#128 _torbirdie_

_torbirdie_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

These will do the same job, you might need to use one of these to trigger a bigger relay though? I'm not sure of the amps.
It would still be less than $50 I'd reckon.

http://www.ebay.com....=item4d058ba32c
http://www.ebay.com....=item4abfd9e1f2

Yes they could be useful, any relay device with a coil sensor is basically a tachiometric relay in principle anyway.
Current rating shouldnt be an issue if its just used in series with the trigger on a relay.

There are also the options of vacuum switches, which work well too.

Edited by torbirdie, 06 January 2013 - 12:07 PM.

#129 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

Well for now at least I just want to get the fans going in the right direction, do I just swap those 2 red wires going to the relays for the 2 earths that are bolted to chassis???? or I need to cut and swap over wires at the fan end?

#130 _torbirdie_

_torbirdie_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

Well for now at least I just want to get the fans going in the right direction, do I just swap those 2 red wires going to the relays for the 2 earths that are bolted to chassis???? or I need to cut and swap over wires at the fan end?

It sounds like you are describing the same thing, however, lets get it straight::

Trace the wires from each fan motor to the place where they first meet a connection. I cant remember what colours are on the au fan.

Lets say you find a pink and black wire going from the fan, the pink wire connecting to point A and the black wire connecting to point B.
Break the connections and reattach with the pink wire to point B and black to A. Point A or B may well be your earth and relay terminals.

Do it with one fan 1st, , making sure you disconnect the other fan completely first. then check that it does spin the other way.
If all ok, repeat for the 2nd fan.

cutting and swapping the wires at each motor will work, but the more connections you can avoid in your circuit the better.

Edited by torbirdie, 06 January 2013 - 12:37 PM.

#131 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,616 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

ehh, Im not sure how that can work, there has to be power to the ignition circuit when cranking or it wont start.

Hmmm. Now you've got me thinking. I'm sure I hooked it up to the ignition 'ON' circuit. Maybe I did hook it up to the ACC circuit. Bugger, now I'm going to have to check where I connected it to.

Edited by S pack, 06 January 2013 - 01:02 PM.

#132 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

I got all the tape etc off of the wires at the fan end where they are soldered onto the loom running to the relays, I can not seem to be able to De- Solder the wires with my soldering iron, they are really thick wires and chock full of solder!

#133 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,616 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

I got all the tape etc off of the wires at the fan end where they are soldered onto the loom running to the relays, I can not seem to be able to De- Solder the wires with my soldering iron, they are really thick wires and chock full of solder!

You need a higher wattage soldering iron. What wattage is yours, 25 watts?

#134 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

Unbelievable, if that is how the Autoelec wired them up (pushing forward) he should give it away the CLOT.........really! The heart ache you have been through.

If you were here in Adelaide, I would have fixed this for you in a jiffy!

#135 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

WHAT THE FOOK IS GOING ON!!!!, I just ended up cutting the Thermo fan wires and just wrapped the together then put tape around them( for testing) I only touched the Thermo Fan Wires nothing else and my temp guage is going silly.

First the temp gauge was getting power/lighting up but the needle not moving?,I took off the wire to it and cleaned up the surfaces and now when you switch to acc the needle on the temp gauge flies around and hits the full mark hard!! and stays there? I didnt even go near the wires to the gauge???

#136 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,616 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

Be careful with the temp needle going hard up to the full or highest marking. You might burn out the gauge.

#137 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

Be careful with the temp needle going hard up to the full or highest marking. You might burn out the gauge.

Thats what im afraid of ,I have no idea why its doing that??? I only reversed the Thermo Fan Wires and they are not connected to the Gauge in any way?? Ive been unable to test the thermo fan direction now cause the gauge is now gone spaz!...

#138 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

Right, I got the temp guage fixed BUT even though I swapped the wires around on 1 fan to test ,it still seems to be blowing hot air out to the front of the radiator!!????.

If im standing at the front of the car .....then the fans are rotating towards my left side

#139 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,616 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

Right, I got the temp guage fixed BUT even though I swapped the wires around on 1 fan to test ,it still seems to be blowing hot air out to the front of the radiator!!????.

If im standing at the front of the car .....then the fans are rotating towards my left side

So looking from the front of the car the fan is rotating anti clockwise?

#140 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

So looking from the front of the car the fan is rotating anti clockwise?

Correct, the fans when polarity is reversed and standing at the front of the car = the fans turn anti - clockwise.( it must be the right way like this )

If I put the wires back to red--red and black---black, it turns clockwise ( when put back like this its definately pushing much more air out towards the front of the car, so reverse polarity MUST be right)

So it does look like the Sparky wired them up wong, but weather this fixes the problem I really dont know?....

Edited by 76S.L.R, 06 January 2013 - 06:42 PM.

#141 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,616 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

I'm beginning to wonder if he wired them up so the relays trigger the earth from the fans not the power to the fans, but in a senior moment he ended up connecting the 12v feed wire to the fans to the relays instead of the negatives and hence inadvertently reversed the polarity, causing the fans to spin in the opposite direction.

#142 _torbirdie_

_torbirdie_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

To test which way the fans are really blowing , hold some paper in front of the radiator. It should get sucked hard against it when they are pulling in the right direction. Just looking at a pic of the fans, anticlockwise from the front of the car would be correct.

With regards to the temp gauge, all I can think of is that somehow the temp sender has become invovled in triggering the relays, but reversing the connections to the motors shouldn't have made any difference.

Where exactly at the moment is the 12V trigger for the relays coming from? Is your temp switch one or two terminal?

The only way to diagnose this effectively on the "internet" is for some detailed photos or to try draw a diagram of what is connected to what, including numbers of the terminals on the realy.

Edited by torbirdie, 06 January 2013 - 07:54 PM.

#143 _torbirdie_

_torbirdie_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

No got that wrong, from the front of the car fan should be rotating clockwise, got myself confused with which way it is mounted, see arrow on the hub off fans(points in clockswise direct) pic:http://i1140.photobu...easurements.jpg +

Attached Files

Edited by torbirdie, 06 January 2013 - 08:25 PM.

#144 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

ARGHHHHHHH!!!!. Ive just soldered it all together and taped it all up, I was sure I had it the right way this time ( anticlockwise) I just tested it and its blowing the paper towards the front of the car and when I tested it when the fans were going the other way (Clockwise ) I'm sure it was blowing forwards too!!?? WTF

#145 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

Christ what a nightmare! What peanut would wire them to go the wrong way, some auto elec this guy must be. Fans are designed to rotate one way to be most efficient, they are curved just like props on a plane, just like the vanes in a brake disc as well. If you were over here I'd get a real auto elec to fix it for you and do a professional job.

#146 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

Get them both running clockwise and then try the paper test.

#147 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

But ive reversed the wires and it still blows towards the front of the car!!, bugger me I;ll have to try get the wires apart again now and paper test the other direction.

Ive stupidly put a lot of solder on them and theres not much wire left to play with if I cut them back again, they put the original splice not that far from one of the fans..

Edited by 76S.L.R, 06 January 2013 - 09:23 PM.

#148 _torbirdie_

_torbirdie_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

But ive reversed the wires and it still blows towards the front of the car!!, bugger me I;ll have to try get the wires apart again now and paper test the other direction.

Ive stupidly put a lot of solder on them and theres not much wire left to play with if I cut them back again, they put the original splice not that far from one of the fans..

Are we correct in assuming that you have your fans fitted between the rad and engine and that the side of the fan pictured in my last post is facing the front of the car?

#149 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

Are we correct in assuming that you have your fans fitted between the rad and engine and that the side of the fan pictured in my last post is facing the front of the car?

Yes the fans are mounted on the back of the radiator and yes that side of the fan as pictured IS facing the front of the car, its too late at night to start the car again now so will have to try yet again tomorrow.

#150 _torbirdie_

_torbirdie_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

Yes the fans are mounted on the back of the radiator

just found the post where you stated that.

So just establish that they are spinning clockwise from the front of the car.

This fans were never designed with operating backwards in mind, they could have even built some trick electronics into them that made sure they spun the same way regardless of how they were connected, but doubt it as would have been an unnecessary expense given that connecting them on the assembly line correctly would have been foolproof.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users