What can I do to an ADR27a engine?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 _Red One_

_Red One_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:27 PM

My 308 has all the pollution gear on it, it has the cast exhaust manifolds and the Rochester Quadrajet carby. I have had no indication it has had a rebuild so I am thinking it is very stock (Hmmm heard that before)

My question is, while staying legal what can I put into it/on it to make it go a bit better than stock? I know it is a very open question, just after some advice from people who might know.

Later ADR27a engines had high compression pistons I have read so does this mean I can use some thing special?

In the way of the cam I have also read that I can't do too much with that. Not that I want to, just something nice.

I see no reason not to get it balanced, clean the ports up in the heads and get some roller rockers.

So please give me some advice. I am going for a pretty stock build for the rest of the car but would love to have an engine that is that little bit better and sounds f'n great.

I don't mind sticking with the quadra and manifolds unless you think I am wasting my time. Not interested in stroking it.

Cheers for any input.

Brad

#2 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:32 PM

You are not supposed to change anything on a ADR 27a motor... but... Brock/HDT got away with alot (altho how much was actually was legal is another debate re; Holden split)

Aside from keeping everything in place ie; manifolds etc you are open to cam/roller rockers, compression and porting if not too excessive.

#3 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:00 AM

Easiest way to make power is make it breath. Extractors and an open aircleaner is pretty simple and cheap and no one will look twice, especially if you turn up to rego checks with the original aircleaner fitted. balancing makes a massive difference too.

#4 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:19 AM

My Hatch has a 383 S/B and I had to get a polution test on it when I got my engineers cirtificate for ADR27A, I was a bit concerned as the engine is running a 288 duration cam .525 lift, 780cfm Holly, 195 inlet runners heads, extractors, 10.6-1 compression, and to my surprise I killed it and by a big margin. I carn't remember what the exact figures were but you can build high performance engines to comply you just need to plan out the engine components well before putting it togeather.

#5 ReplicarSLR

ReplicarSLR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Car:Not anymore unfortunately

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:17 AM

Easiest way to make power is make it breath. Extractors and an open aircleaner is pretty simple and cheap and no one will look twice, especially if you turn up to rego checks with the original aircleaner fitted. balancing makes a massive difference too.

yep soon as you have put it over the pits, flip the standard aircleaner lid upside down still seals around the aircleaner element but doesnt seal on the lower part and allows air to be drawn in all around rather than just through the snorkel. If you get pulled over just play dumb if they pick it and say, 'oh I didn't realise it was upside down' and flip it back over then and there...LOL

#6 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,449 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:31 AM

The standard inlet on an ADR27A 308 is one of the reasons the HX engines are so poor compare to a HJ. They are the same 9.7:1 bottom end and heads are very close apart from the EGR ports. The cams are retarded too.

Apart from exhaust, cam and mild head work as already mentioned there is something you can do, and 2 x ways to do it:

1. Fit a KC 25308 inlet, these are pretty good and modelled off the blue HDT manifold.

2. Change to a pair of blue/black heads, either stock or with some mild portwork and fit a HDT manifold. Even B cast heads if you can find them.

Run a street grind (even a HDT grind) cam, set it up properly with adjustable timing gear. Get a HEI dizzy and graph it to suit. Get it tuned.

You can fit extractors, but the stock manifolds with a good exhaust work OK if heads are standard.

#7 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

you will need a permit for the extractors if you go that way and want to be "legal"
last i heard they where 25 bucks over here
you can port the heads/manifold to hdt/l34 spec easy enough or try to find some yella terras
same valve sizes as the l34's etc

Edited by Quagmire, 14 May 2013 - 04:17 PM.

#8 tuxedoss

tuxedoss

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:ss

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:02 PM

So what's the difference between a HJ and HX inlet manifold that makes such a difference.

#9 _434LX_

_434LX_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:09 PM

My Hatch has a 383 S/B and I had to get a polution test on it when I got my engineers cirtificate for ADR27A, I was a bit concerned as the engine is running a 288 duration cam .525 lift, 780cfm Holly, 195 inlet runners heads, extractors, 10.6-1 compression, and to my surprise I killed it and by a big margin. I carn't remember what the exact figures were but you can build high performance engines to comply you just need to plan out the engine components well before putting it togeather.

Had the same thing happen to me last month here in WA.

When I applied for my SBC in a ADR27a LX, I also stated I was not going to be fitting EGR (only pcv and cannister).

A 5 Gas emission test later, its all approved and licensed that way.

#10 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

^ yeah all that EGR crap was a load of bullshit back in the day, not much has changed, that last holden V8's didn't even have it.

#11 _Red One_

_Red One_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:29 PM

Ok thanks guys for all the great info, I have read it a couple of times and am way out of your league by so far it is not funny.

Been having a bit of a look and like the following:

http://www.ebay.com....3ec81069&_uhb=1

with a H276 cam

http://www.ebay.com....7dd8ec3f&_uhb=1

Now I am only using Fleebay as a guide and will look for better option to getting what I need.

As far as pistons go,,,, don't know yet. I'll wait till I pull it all apart and do some measuring.

I'll turn the air filter cover up side down for sure! :spoton:

Cheers,

Edited by Red One, 14 May 2013 - 11:30 PM.

#12 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,449 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:00 AM

Here is a manifold:

http://www.ebay.com....c#ht_114wt_1170

#13 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,449 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:08 AM

So what's the difference between a HJ and HX inlet manifold that makes such a difference.

The way they flow. Early ones are good, almost as good as a Performer. Later red ones are dogs. Here is an old Street Machine article from the early 80's. What it tells you is the stock red ADR27A manifold is severly restricting flow, and you won't get much benefit from better heads or cam. The early manifold or a Performer is capable or much more so you can achieve better results with a better cam and maybe some mild head work.

Attached Files

#14 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:51 PM

the perfomer while a good upgrade is not adr legal tmk
no egr ports or sumting

#15 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,449 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:00 PM

You don't need EGR on a manual V8 ADR27A car, only autos had it. The newer Performers have the provision for it I think.

#16 _Red One_

_Red One_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:54 PM

A good read that. I might have to investigate.

So from what I read from this, there is no need to work the heads if using a stock inlet manifold as they can take more than the manifold will ever supply.

#17 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,449 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:32 AM

For the pollution red one that'd probably be close to correct.

Edited by yel327, 23 May 2013 - 07:34 AM.

#18 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:33 PM

Just build what you want. The chances of being pinged for a pollution issue are virtually zero unless you aggravate the authorities by driving like a tool.

#19 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,449 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:57 AM

The car will have to pass annual rego inspections in NSW Rexy.

#20 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

Are they really that picky?
My experience in Victoria the police state is that the authorities really don't care about emissions stuff on cars from that era. Neither the RWC bloke or the vicroads inspection nazis made any comment about the multiple missing emission components and non compliant add ons the last time I registered a car.

#21 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,449 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:33 PM

It depends who does it. Some wouldn't have a clue, some have been stung by the EPA knocking on their door after defecting a car a few days after it passed a pink slip so are picky.

#22 _Red One_

_Red One_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:43 PM

In WA my car is registered so unless I drive around like a tool and get a sticker of some sort I will be fine.

The way I want to do my engine if the pork chops open the hood they will think it stock and legal.

#23 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:16 PM

Funny story.
Got interviewed by a senior member of the EMBONA armed robbery task force the other week.
Was pulled by a bloke in plain clothes in an unmarked car and directed to pull over into a side street.
Thank god it turns out he was a fellow hoon and merely wanted to chat about the car.
Now interestingly he wouldn't have realised what exactly was missing and clearly that wasn't his focus.
The amount of polished metal produces enough glare to hide the finer details anyway...

As always a friendly and intelligent response kept the interaction on an even keel.

#24 _Lostit_

_Lostit_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:07 AM

As long as you can put stuff back on when they sent you to a testing station all is good.

The question that needs to be asked is what car is it going in.... if you put that motor in a 1990 vn commodore it needs to comply with 1990 standards.

As for experience .. as long as they carbon is below max little .. the hydrocarbons doesnt mean anything especially for pre27abc... me and the tester were in tears in the little white room as he tested my old 308 with 286 cam ... as he stated afterwards.

The carbon level is important its the amount the rings are bypassing, the hydrocarbons is the raw unburnt fuel and that was off the scale, his comment and l still remember it after 20 years " If you can live with the smell then all is good "

As for coppers in Victoria .. yeah you get the ones who know some things and get the ones who have no idea... but its not there job to know right from wrong only to sent you a nice letter to attend either thenoise or testing  station.

But 99% of the time anyone with half a brain can tell if something doesnt seem right .

The joys of having a pretend race car on the road :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users