• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#51 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:53 PM

Stinga

I was only speaking of 12 ports.

Have a look at stevemc's top pic. There is a flat blank section above the exhaust ports. On the non-EFI heads this would have a threaded hole leading into the port. The lump below it, inside the port is quite pronounced. The EFI head exhaust ports have a smooth roof.

#52 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,000 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:07 PM

Hi...while you head guys are all over it...can you let me know what this one is....I think its only painted red, as its on a QL engine, that is also painted red for that

"LJ look"...thanks guys , FYI its supposed to be a Super Flow moded unit, but I guess that's only tell-a-bul from the inside?

p.s. the slightly obscured date code is H266..which Im thinkin is 26 Aug. 2006?

Thanks

Attached Files

#53 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,612 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:15 PM

Col, that's a HR 186 high comp head with date code 26 August 1966.

#54 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • Name:Stinga
  • Car:HD Holden ute, and sedan, UC torana

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:41 PM

Stinga

Have a look at stevemc's top pic. There is a flat blank section above the exhaust ports. On the non-EFI heads this would have a threaded hole leading into the port. The lump below it, inside the port is quite pronounced. The EFI head exhaust ports have a smooth roof.

so any idea what one with the flat blank section but still has a lump in the port is from?

4CA60C6D-EB8C-46C6-910A-ECDE62C2BAA3_zps

#55 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,017 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:52 PM

Black EFI I'm tippin'

#56 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:59 PM

Stinga

I find this interesting. 

I have a couple of 12 ports here that TMK are blue motor heads but they also dont have the boses drilled out.

The bosses are there, but not drilled. 

I also have a few more that are drilled but bunged, the one i took picks of in the third post in this thread is actually such a beast.

Can anyone confirm this before my restructure or will we leave this one in the open for now?

Cheers. 

#57 _barana_

_barana_
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:08 PM

yes I understand the efi heads have the lump but no hole (from distant memory, could be wrong)

Im really interested to know if 130 and 138 reds had smaller valves.. or have I asked this before?

#58 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,612 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:11 PM

DJ, I don't know much about the different 12 port heads however I can state that I know of a WB blue 3.3 and a VH blue 3.3 both were manual and both had their original heads and the bosses were not drilled.

#59 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • Name:Stinga
  • Car:HD Holden ute, and sedan, UC torana

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:13 PM

would casting dates sort it out??

#60 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:16 PM

DJ, I don't know much about the different 12 port heads however I can state that I know of a WB blue 3.3 and a VH blue 3.3 both were manual and both had their original heads and the bosses were not drilled.

Right so as i expected its not a black EFI only thing.

Cheers. 

#61 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,612 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:33 PM

yes I understand the efi heads have the lump but no hole (from distant memory, could be wrong)

Im really interested to know if 130 and 138 reds had smaller valves.. or have I asked this before?

130, 138, 161, 173, 202. (Don't have specs for 149, 179 & 186)

Inlet Valve head dia. 1.488" - 1.498"

Exhaust Valve Head Dia. 1.271" - 1.281"

#62 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:00 PM

I can't confirm the smooth roof from personal experience but I was researching this subject online earlier in the year when considering buying a complete motor. I think I did find pics in another forum. Anyway Johnno says he has one there.

He also says some Blue with air pump, some without. Maybe some were bunged and some not ? The Blue one I have came with bungs.

The one Stinga has there is painted black by the looks of it but has lumps in ports.

Curiouser and curiouser.

And how come the two EFI engines I looked at buying were both painted red ? Is that normal ?

#63 _tryhard_

_tryhard_
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:12 PM

I have a early efi head and the short turn radius have all been done in the factory to give more torque I believe all early efi heads where done on a nother note early blue heads have smaller ports than the later black heads

#64 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,612 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:39 PM

Just been doing a bit of research on the net and found some info that suggests the Air Injection was only fitted to the EST engines.

Also found some pics of supposed original EFI engines/heads with exhaust port bosses drilled and factory plugs fitted and another purported original EFI head with bosses untouched.

#65 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:08 AM

So besides the air injection ports, was there any other difference between EST and non EST heads?

I was under the impression that EST was that stupid funky dizzy and half assed wanna be computer thing with the crank pickup in the bellhousing?

Which reminds me, i know someone with a carby VK in there back yard that i think has some of the EST stuff left on it....Hmmm.

Cheers. 

#66 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,612 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:21 AM

So besides the air injection ports, was there any other difference between EST and non EST heads? I'm guessing the heads were all the same bar the bosses being drilled/not drilled.

I was under the impression that EST was that stupid funky dizzy and half assed wanna be computer thing with the crank pickup in the bellhousing? Yep, Electronic Spark Timing.

Which reminds me, i know someone with a carby VK in there back yard that i think has some of the EST stuff left on it....Hmmm. Get Pics.

Cheers. 

#67 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,017 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:59 AM

VC were blue motors and no air injection, I'm pretty sure it started in VH? So I'd reckon no VC heads were drilled. This is where date coding might help?

#68 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:27 AM

Well, this turned out predictably. If you ask for information on a public web forum you'll nearly always get conflicting answers, much of it wrong.

From the introduction of the "How to Build a Hot Holden Six":

The various internet forums are probably the primary source of information for Holden six builders these days, and it was the standard of information on these forums that motivated me to write these notes in the first place. To put it bluntly, I'd estimate at least 80% of the information on the forums is either outdated, wildly inaccurate or just horribly wrong. And I don't just mean wrong as in difference-of-opinion-wrong, but provably, demonstrably, against-the-laws-of-physics wrong. There's no security in numbers either; it's not uncommon for a query to be answered by several people all giving similar - but erroneous - advice.

Good luck Bomber, you're gonna need it...

#69 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:44 AM

This is a blue 12 port 2850 small chamber head, the air injection bosses are blank as you can see and were sticking about a 1/4 way into the exhaust port, I have removed from inside the port to reduce restriction

Attached Files

#70 stevemc32

stevemc32

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car:LJ 4 Door

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:54 AM

Still can't offer any insights but only observations of the head I have on hand.  It's dated 29H5 which I believe puts it squarely into the VK production and does not have the air injection bosses drilled so I'm assuming it is an EFI head.  I did remove it from an EFI black block (VK prefix) and it was fitted with all EFI gear so the chances are pretty good.

Attached File  1dscn2058.jpg   142.22K   11 downloads

Temp gauge sender is at the back of the head on the right hand side, not sure if this is the same with all 12 port heads.

Attached File  1dscn2060.jpg   146.99K   13 downloads

Large combustion chamber with inlet size 41.3mm and exhaust size 35.8mm.  Exhaust valves have an "S" marking.

Attached File  1dscn2063.jpg   147.32K   13 downloads

The air injection bosses definitely still exist inside the exhaust ports.

Attached File  1dscn2066.jpg   148.07K   13 downloads

Ancillary mounting points on the right hand side, from the front air-con compressor, second back is coil and third mount is aux air valve and fuel dampener.

Edited by stevemc32, 29 December 2013 - 08:54 AM.

#71 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,612 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:02 AM

I read that the 'S' on the exhaust valve denotes 'Sodium' filled. Apparently only used in the EFI heads.

#72 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:24 AM

Well, this turned out predictably. If you ask for information on a public web forum you'll nearly always get conflicting answers, much of it wrong.

From the introduction of the "How to Build a Hot Holden Six":

Good luck Bomber, you're gonna need it...

Hence from the offset i had absolutely no intention of going into valve sizes, chamber volumes, date codes or "nitty gritty" differences, I was more looking at it in a case most people are going to wish to modefy the heads anyway and was moreso looking to give somewhat of a guide of the four major generations. 

I also wanted to stick to absolute fact which i can prove, and have as little as possible "we think...."

Anyway, few odd jobs to do probably start re working on this after lunch, see how it comes out.

Im going to break all the links temporarily, decided with the influx of pictures coming in i had best actually make a special folder for them, should be fixed tonight hopefully or whenever datto or someone gets on.

Cheers. 

Edited by Bomber Watson, 29 December 2013 - 10:26 AM.

#73 _big jack_

_big jack_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:01 AM

Well I can see a few head jobs happening now :innocent: 

#74 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:24 AM

That's right, the EFI didn't have air injection. I've got both efi and carb heads here (black), plus small chamber blue. I'll grab some photos if it will help.

If you can do this please Johnno and straighten us out on the EFI head internal bosses or no bosses issue things would be much clearer.

#75 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:38 AM

My brother had a very original VH sedan 2.8 blue which was fitted with an air pump - we removed the piping and fitted blanking plugs to the exhaust ports when we rebuilt the engine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users