Why does the UC cop it so hard...?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#26 _whitewizards_uc_

_whitewizards_uc_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2006 - 09:44 PM

im so beautiful i can afford to drive a UC!! but nar..holden surely did make a few mistakes, which i believe braught the toranas to an end. Torana means fly in some aboriginal laungauge..and they do with v8's...so why take them out? the front and rear lights look a bit crappy i must admit..but hey, at the end of the day if you've built a hot car that you'r proud to call you'r own, you can over look all their faults.....

#27 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2006 - 09:53 PM

oops and the most important features: side mouldings + anti intrusion bars (which 1/2 the LXs have too)

#28 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:03 PM

Makka got it..Lets all say it together...It';s just plain UGLY!!
HOWEVER! If I build a A9X replica racecar...I would use a UC base and add from there...making it pretty along the way! :spoton: GETTING ALL THE GOOD bits above..
R

Edited by rorym, 13 July 2006 - 10:07 PM.

#29 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,364 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:05 PM

Well Devils that's one way of putting it, but I would probably prefer to save the extra money and buy a car without half of those little things and put them in myself. Even if it costs more, it gives you a better feeling of self satisfaction and makes the car a little bit more yours.

For an example, my:
'77 LX Sedan 202/M20

Centre handbrake - No, but I have an attractive console instead :tease:
QH headlights - No idea, will probably go H4 anyway
wipers on stalk - Doesn't bother me; i like the look of a clean steering column
Front discs - Yes
Bucket seats - Yes
Floor shift - Yes
Salisbury - Banjos are easier to work on and parts are cheaper
Rwindow demister - Ya got me
Laminated screen? - Yes
RTS (II) - Yes, RTS (I) atm, will be a mix of both in the end
5.5in rims - Yes, all LH/LXs do, except SLRL32\<SLRL31 have 6" rims.

Edited by Heath, 13 July 2006 - 10:08 PM.

#30 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:26 PM

5.5in rims - Yes, all LH/LXs do, except SLRL32\<SLRL31 have 6" rims.

Heath, I dont believe you have the right information regarding the rim width.
AFAIK the 5.5 in rims was an upgrade for rts and standard for the UC, the standard lx was equipped with 5 in rims on crossplys(thats how the new one we had was......oct76), Im not sure about any later LX's or the v8s,(perhaps the 5.5in
rims were fitted to radial tyres)

Yes its all personal choice Heath, for the enthusiast they can fit them out as they wish, but for those novices who are recommended to go and get a torry as a good cheap safe car, the UC is always going to be the best bet for the best level of equipment and safety.

Another important one: boot light.....correct me if im wrong.....but the lx doesnt get one? What about rear door courtesy light switches?

Edited by devilsadvocate, 13 July 2006 - 10:37 PM.

#31 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:52 PM

QH = quartz halogen= h4 globe=quartz iodide

quartz being the 'glass' and halogen(iodide) or halide being the gas inside the globe that allows the filament to burn hotter and not have it get continually get thinner and deposit it self on the inside of the globe(blackens)

Edited by devilsadvocate, 13 July 2006 - 10:55 PM.

#32 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2006 - 11:26 PM

Lets face it, if someone is after a good cheap reliable car in the year 2006 they arnt gona be on the market for a torana unless they like toranas..

So that fizzles the UC once again.. Look at knoath for example he only got a UC cos he needed a bigger safer car for his kids but it had to be a torana, so yes the UC was a perfect solution for him.

Now look at a beginer driver looking for a safe, cheap and cheap to run first car, why would he go for a UC, they guzzle compared to whats available, no power steering, the aircon if its got it probly wont work and its the most Fugliest cars holden produced..

On the gemini subject a sandpiper was one of the better models and was almost the benchmark for geminis besides ZZZ or a CDT, not like the torana were the SS or SLR was the benchmark. The sunbird did have alot of fetures compared to a standerd run of the mill torry but compare it to an SLR or SS it was ugly and comen and was powerd by a guttless 4 cyl thats why it got such a bad name. Nower days if anyone spots a sunbird they pounce on it purly cos its one of the only models that was fully optioned and if your building or restoring an SS or SLR the sunbird is the number one doner for hard to find bits..

At the end of the day the UC was a great car but it was very ugly and why buy an ugly torana when you can have a good looking one.

John

#33 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2006 - 11:41 PM

I woz gonna quote john but now understand the new protocol is to not do that if immediately following the post.......but if its just one part of the post one is drawing attention too?

Come on John, some of us like living in the past!

Anyway, I dont think anyone really wanted to get into any real debates about what is better here, just some light banter(the UC is a torrie too).........I just posted the list of additional features for information purposes..........

Edited by devilsadvocate, 13 July 2006 - 11:53 PM.

#34 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2006 - 11:51 PM

I'm too biassed to comment!

Thanks for the mention Knoath!!
Cheers
Keith

#35 _Aidan_

_Aidan_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2006 - 12:16 AM

I own a UC and I dont have a shit how it looks (in term of lights). I got my UC because the body is bloody brilliant, paint is almost immaculate and its a hatchback. There is no way I'd own a 4 door UC, I wanted a hatchback and this UC came along so I bought it if it was a LX I would of bought it too. All the mods you do to your LX's and LH's I do to my UC, just it doesn't look as good. I dont really care it goes fast and (will) handle great.

#36 _Toranamuk_

_Toranamuk_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2006 - 12:22 AM

The UC's are still a cool car, for criusing or for building !!

Totally agree on the ugly tail lights though.

The front end & dash are both cleaner & smoother flowing than the LH/X, just a more refined version of an allready perfectly styled & tuff car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My UC was featured in a few magazines & won heaps of major shows & trophies.

I copt heaps from a lot of people for building a UC,

WHY NOT BUILD ONE !!!!!! DARE TO BE DIFFERENT AT SOME STAGE !!!!!!

Edited by Toranamuk, 14 July 2006 - 12:23 AM.

#37 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,018 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 14 July 2006 - 12:31 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong. Only UC sunbirds were SLE?
Posted Image
:spoton:

#38 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2006 - 12:40 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong. Only UC sunbirds were SLE?

as opposed to LX sunbirds? I wont correct you as I think you are correct!
AFAIK, the sle badge only appeared on the UC Sunbird, no other torrie or sunbird.

And another bit of standard UC equip(non lx/lh).......temperature gauge and scissor jack(dont know if thats a + or not)better chance of finding a uc with air too(working or not)+fact tinted glass.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 14 July 2006 - 12:46 AM.

#39 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2006 - 11:28 AM

Not debating devils just stating the facts, after all its still a torry and ill have one(to strip for parts)..

No reason why someone shouldnt build one, were all differant and like differant things. Theres a UC in Kilmore, a red one lowerd with nice chrome wheels andits probly the best UC iv seen ever, dont know what it is about it but it looks real good. Maybe the combo of wheels and paint set it off perfect..

But think of this devils, majority of poeple i know or talk to about the UC say its ugly, some like it and some may even love it but at the end of the day its UGLY to the majority..

If i was to own a UC it would have to be an SLE hatch with a late model refined powerplant like a V6 Ecotek supercharged motor from a VT and T700 auto running a BW lsd diff with 4 wheel dickbrakes like a hoppers kit allround.. Chuck on a set of 17" billets and a nice dark color(like Keithys UC) and then i wouldnt realy give a shit about the tail lights..

John

#40 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 11:52 AM

Wow, this has really hit some nerves!
Well all I can say about my UC is that it has only 133,000 k's on the clock, (that's ave 4,900 per year!), near (and i mean VERY close to) perfect interior with original Air Chief radio and unmolestered dash, dealer fitted (I think, could be factory) air con and I believe it's a SL/ Deluxe (?) info taken from Canberra Torana Club website.
Not a speck of rust to be seen anywhere and the boot looks like it's never seen the light of day.
A few very minor things for RWC, and all for less that $900!

I can live with the crappy taillights, cos when I'm finished they'll be so dark you won't know they're there!!!!
Tinted windows, again very dark (and that's not cos I'm embarrased!! he he he), dumped a fair whack and some wheels should see me cruising with the kids on board for a long time to come...

It was the best condition Torana I've seen in a long time... I really wanted an LH/LX, just ask makka!, so I grabbed it.
I know I've got myself a very sound car and it IS still a Torry.

But yeah, those taillights are ugly!

#41 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2006 - 01:18 PM

That was my whole point Knoath.. The UC wasnt your preferance but unbeatable value and still a torana regardles of its tail lights..

As i said mate i dont hate the UC, i like many things about em but they were a let down by holden, specialy after the LX wich is a buitifull car they went down hill on a steap incline with the UC.. They improved the torana so much in all aspects with the UC only to let it down so badly in the looks department.

John

#42 _TORANR AMORE_

_TORANR AMORE_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2006 - 01:22 PM

If I couldn't get an LX for any reason, I'd try for an LJ or LC and If I couldn't get one of those for any reason, then I would get a UC.
They are ALL Toranas.

Cheers,
Rick.

#43 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2006 - 01:53 PM

Not debating devils just stating the facts, after all its still a torry and ill have one(to strip for parts)..

John, I have stated some facts for others to make a more objective decision of their own�.a list of standard equipment on the UC not provided on base LX or H.

You have not provided any facts, just considered opinions on the styling and use of the UC(which I don�t dispute) but I think you have departed a little from the light hearted direction and banter the thread contained initially.

I really don�t care, Im comfortable with the look of the UC and of all the extras it comes with.
Id really prefer the UC to remain unpopular, makes it cheaper to buy them for parts.

#44 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2006 - 01:56 PM

Nah devils you got me all wrong mate..

The thing is i realy dont give a shit about the UC and if holden recaled em all and crushed em it wouldnt bother me.. lololol

The question this thread asked as i understand it was why do UCs cop it so hard, now all the facts about how much the had or didnt have still doesnt answer the question does it.

I simply answerd the man why UC toranas cop it so hard

THERE UGLY FUKN LOL

John

#45 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2006 - 02:15 PM

Why? Just cause they do, just one of life's givens.

#46 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2006 - 02:18 PM

Why? Just cause they do, just one of life's givens.

my point exactly

why does a fat lady cop it so hard ..

she still comes with everything a buitlifull blondy comes with, yet shes the laughing stock for many..

Life sucks devils and we are the vacume pumps that couse it.

John

#47 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2006 - 09:48 AM

Personally i think that the UC cops it too much. I dont hate or dislike LX/LH's, i like them. And i also believe that with a bit of work and the right colour, rims, tint, a UC looks great.

Posted Image
Posted Image

And if you cut the front of a UC and the back off a UC, it looks like an LX or LH with no front or back! Am i right!! Just do a virtual cut on this picture below and tell me!

Posted Image

Cheers
Keith

Edited by Keithy's_UC, 15 July 2006 - 09:48 AM.

#48 _LX_SS_

_LX_SS_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2006 - 11:03 AM

owing both a lx 4 door and a uc 2 door, i must say as far as looks go both have there own styling completely, the lx looks tough, straight out muscle car, however the uc has the more sleak design, different dash which i perfsonally think suits more than the lh/lx dash, the front is completely different, but i like it myself, as far as the tails go yes they look awkward but still don't mind them.

#49 _Aidan_

_Aidan_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2006 - 11:15 AM

just dont do her from behind and you'll never even notice :tease:

#50 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:45 AM

Screw what anyone says about the looks.. I've driven LH's LX's and UC's (ahh the joys of being a mechanic) and I'd take a UC SL/E anyday.

No offense to BoltZ but I drove his LX 308 hatch one day and the UC 308 that I built for my 'mate' the day later and the UC was a much nicer car to drive. Diff gears were wrong, a set of 3.45s like BoltZ's would have been much better but the interior, handling, comfort etc were all preferable in a cruiser or daily driver.

Wish I'd bought that car now instead of the Commo dammit! :furious:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users