Engine sizes under NCOP - vehicle model weights

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 _LC2door4_

_LC2door4_
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:46 PM

Hi guys,

This is wording from the QLD incarnation of NCOP section LA (Engine).

"The mass of the vehicle referred to in Tables LA1, LA2 and LA3 is the original (unmodified) tare mass of the model vehicle fitted with the largest engine available for the model in Australia but without optional accessories (air conditioning, tow bars etc.). The mass of the vehicle, whether it is a sedan, station wagon, utility, etc., should be based on the heaviest sedan version of the model (not station wagon version) sold in Australia."

I'm wondering what is meant by the "the model vehicle fitted with the largest engine available for the model in Australia" part,. e.g. my car is an LC 4 cylinder  2 door 1159 cc, which was approx 812Kg kerb weight. The four door was 838Kg. The 1600s were slightly heaver and the 6 cylinder cars heaver again.

So is a "vehicle model" an LC Torana (including 6 cylinder cars), or a 4 cylinder LC torana (including 1600s), or is it my specific model code, which was a different model code to the 1600 cc engine car that came out later?? Obviously, depending what is meant by "vehicle model" will dictate what base weight can be used for working out max engine capacity. Unsure if anyone knows the answer? :huh:

Cheers,

Jules. 

#2 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts
  • Name:Maz
  • Car:72 LJ SL SEDAN.

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:22 PM

as far as i know it goes by weight.if the motors cubic capacity is increased,you will therefore have to upgrade brakes suspension,driveline etc to handle the increased capacity, 

all vehicles weighing between                  original mass (kg) x4

800 -1100kg                                           = maximum capacity in ccs

somehow that dont seem right to me ,what am i missing

#3 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,484 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:50 PM

I believe you should contact rego on this one

I'd say the heaviest sedan in your shape

And since the 4 cyl and 6 cylinder are different shapes ... i.e longer guards etc... then you're going to be going with the sedan 4 cyl weight

#4 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,620 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:29 AM

yep,

so for the reading here so far,

it would be the heaviest weighted Torana in the Class,

is your closest help.

#5 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:36 AM

AFAIK the COP has been changed to show SERIES not MODEL. LC is a series not a model and thus the biggest engine allowed is a multiplier of the heaviest LC sedan in the series. BUT CHECK WITH YOUR CERTIFYING ENGINEER FIRST!! I saw this new wording a few months ago, I think it was revised late last year.

Where this wording is a problem though is for example a HK GTS327 is significantly heavier than a HK Brougham or HK Premier, enough so it affects the biggest engine possible. I imagine an LC GTR may also be heavier than an LC sedan.

#6 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:05 PM

AFAIK the COP has been changed to show SERIES not MODEL. LC is a series not a model and thus the biggest engine allowed is a multiplier of the heaviest LC sedan in the series. BUT CHECK WITH YOUR CERTIFYING ENGINEER FIRST!! I saw this new wording a few months ago, I think it was revised late last year.

Where this wording is a problem though is for example a HK GTS327 is significantly heavier than a HK Brougham or HK Premier, enough so it affects the biggest engine possible. I imagine an LC GTR may also be heavier than an LC sedan.

I doubt that any engineer would consider an LC4 being in the same 'series' as an LC6. They are very different cars, especially in the areas that matter. e.g. suspension & brakes.

The official weights for the above cars as I have the are:-

LC4 1600 OHC Deluxe 4-door = 878 kg 

LC6 GTR XU1 = 1102 kg

HK Premier V8 Auto = 1388 kg

HK Brougham = 1473 kg

HK Monaro GTS 327 = 1495 kg

Dr Terry

#7 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:39 PM

its more like 15-20% that you can up the capacity to.i reckon your stuck with the 4 banger for this particular vehicle,

#8 WA1TNC

WA1TNC

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Name:Nig
  • Car:HX ute(daily) LH Torana(Harrop Blown LS1) in the build

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:32 PM

Well what's the deal with fitting a 350ci into a HX-WB then if the older HQ came out with one from factory? The later model cars(still the same shape) ar'nt allowed to fit it then yeah? Are the HX-WB series any heavier than the HQ?

Cheers, Nig.

Edited by WA1TNC, 13 June 2014 - 03:33 PM.

#9 _LC2door4_

_LC2door4_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:55 PM

its more like 15-20% that you can up the capacity to.i reckon your stuck with the 4 banger for this particular vehicle,

Yeah I reckon so too. I could do at least up to 3.3L NA or 2.3L turbo based on the 4 cyl weights. Was interested to know if a stretch to 253 may be possible, but probably no point anyway. Best to speak to engineer as always with these matters I guess. The 15-20% thing is if you want to mod without certification.

Edited by LC2door4, 13 June 2014 - 04:56 PM.

#10 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:31 PM

I doubt that any engineer would consider an LC4 being in the same 'series' as an LC6. They are very different cars, especially in the areas that matter. e.g. suspension & brakes.

The official weights for the above cars as I have the are:-

LC4 1600 OHC Deluxe 4-door = 878 kg 

LC6 GTR XU1 = 1102 kg

HK Premier V8 Auto = 1388 kg

HK Brougham = 1473 kg

HK Monaro GTS 327 = 1495 kg

Dr Terry

With the right mods Terry they'll Engineer it OK. Those mods are most likely going to put on it whatever a 6cyl had though. Although more work (in terms of sheetmetal changes etc) no different in concept to starting with a 4cyl VC.

You can see with those figures where you get into a grey area with HK's. Multiplying factor is 5 for NA engine (max size allowable):

5 x 1495kg is 7475cc -  hello 454.

5 x 1473kg is 7365cc -  :-(

Argument is the rule is silly as 5 x the GTS327's weight allows me a 454 in the GTS327 but 5 x the Brougham's weight doesn't. If I end up stuck with the V8 auto premier sedan i'm in bigger trouble as I can't even fit a 427 as the result is 6940cc.

#11 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:43 PM

Given these figures, what can be done to an LX?
If my research is correct
1204 x 5 = 6020

Makes a 6 litre not an issue
Right or wrong?

#12 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:15 PM

How much does an auto LH or LX 5.0L sedan weigh?

ADR27A (and later versions in later WB) is the only issue. WB Caprice is the heaviest.

#13 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:11 PM

I found on this forum that the sedan weighs 1204kg
This is how I based my equation

#14 BIG KEV

BIG KEV

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:LHSLR5000 and The 6LT Project

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:59 AM

I have just gone through all this with my engineer for my LH "The 6LT Project "
The engineer said weight in KGs x 5
I settled on a 6LT but he said max was 6.2 LS3
it all depends on weight and what records of weight your engineer has for that particular car
if your seriously considering any mods contact a engineer ....have a chat and pay him for his time and he will take you serious and be more than happy to help you ....form a friendship / business relationship with him and Stop guessing
and as soon as you do this you can move forward with you project and the engineer with be happy to take your phone call because you will then be his client ....

#15 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:09 AM

Yep, sound advise Kev. I've been there done that and enjoying the hard work that I have been through.

But if I'm not wrong, the rules states you can do it WITHOUT an engineers report. As long as you stay within the guidelines. This is but one of those guidelines

#16 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:56 PM

i have not discussed this with anyone,but say if your vehicle weighs 1102kg from factory and you update the rear

to 9'' bigger tires,auto,half cage etc,with these extra mods and extra weight can you therefore up the capacity slightly

Edited by madtoranajzedded, 14 June 2014 - 04:57 PM.

#17 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:58 PM

That has been asked a million times. 

Answer is NO. NO NO NO ABSOLUTELY NOT. 

Actual vehicle weight is irrelevant. 

Cheers. 

#18 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:10 PM

im way behind dj :)  what about icv .the same too

#19 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:11 PM

ICV i have no clue. 

Cheers. 

#20 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:00 PM

ICV is whatever is approved by your engineer and licensing (in theory there are no limits .... although a road going nitro-funnycar engine on a trike might be a tough engineering task). Have to remember that to build under ICV it has zero ties/relationship to ANY brand, model or manufacturer because its an individually constructed vehicle. That's why with an ICV build the % from any one manufacture is limited. So for me .... LXSS350 is the manufacturer and my car is XYZ.  An ICV can't be a modified production car and it must comply to the changing rules e.g. pollution, noise etc (like a new car) whenever you gain the actual licence (not build approval).

#21 _Ben78_

_Ben78_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2015 - 06:57 AM

Does anyone have a owners manual for a LX Torana?

I need a definite weight for a 5lt sedan for rego purpose.

I want to fit a LS2 but need to show the RTA that it weighs over 1200kg OFFICIALLY... ("not from some guy on a Torana forum" were his words)

So if you have a owners manual showing the weights can you please let me know.

Cheers.

#22 BIG KEV

BIG KEV

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:LHSLR5000 and The 6LT Project

Posted 04 December 2015 - 07:04 AM

I want to fit a LS2 but need to show the RTA that it weighs over 1200kg OFFICIALLY... ("not from some guy on a Torana forum" were his words)

Cheers.

Why do you need to prove anything to the RTA ...your Engineer will have all the paper work needed .....Yes you can fit a LS2 as I have and many others .....Speak to your engineer first and if you don't have one get one before you even start any thing

#23 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:23 AM

Some earlier threads showed that the A9X weighed in at 1275 kg so you can base the LX off that as the heaviest model, which allows the 6.2 ltr motor.

#24 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:37 AM

This had me confused as well but the NCOP clearly states:

The mass of the vehicle ~ should be based on the heaviest sedan version of the model

Attached File  Table LA1.JPG   95.52K   5 downloads

Which means all LX Torana, be they Hatch, Sedan, Sunbird or whatever, should be based on the A9X Sedan weight of 1306kg (being the heaviest sedan of the LX model)

So maximum capacity for any LX Torana should be:

5 x 1306kgs = 6530cc (398.485ci) for naturally aspirated; or

5 x 1306kgs = 3918cc (239.091ci) for forced induction.

But, why the hell do they use words like "should" in an official document, is that an absolute rule or not?

Some engineers will quote the table above as gospel, some seem to use it more as a guideline, there have been many examples lately of Supercharged 6.2L LSA engines going into Toranas and early Commodores, which according to that table "should" be impossible to engineer!

#25 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 04 December 2015 - 11:42 AM

Cheers.

The LX hatch owners manual does not list the tare in the specifications section.

"60 Years of Holden" by Terry Bebbington lists the factory specifications on page 338. You should be able to get hold of the book through your library.

If the engineer will not accept the book then you could try contacting GMH for confirmation of the tare,

http://ls2lxhatch.co...cifications.htm

This had me confused as well but the NCOP clearly states:

The mass of the vehicle ~ should be based on the heaviest sedan version of the model

The sedan version clause is a QLD only rule. Section LA of the NCOP do not apply in QLD.
http://www.tmr.qld.g...tions.aspx#ncop

QLD_NCOP2.jpg

The NCOP only excludes station wagons.

NCOP_Section_LA_LA2.jpg

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 04 December 2015 - 11:52 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users