lcgtr1970

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • Name:Jordan

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:38 AM

Hi all.
I'm doing up an hq panelvan and I'm about to get the upper and lower tailgate seals. What's people's experience in regards to quality and fit of the 3 guys named above? There is a bit of a difference in price with better auto being cheaper... But I don't want to get them if they're not good.
Any recommendations?
Thanks

#2 Indy Orange

Indy Orange

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • Name:Paul

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:44 PM

I purchased the front and rear door seals for my HJGTS from Rare Spares,they fitted well and have had no troubles,not sure about the other distributors,I always thought they were all made by Rares or sourced from the same manufacturer anyway ,interested to know.

#3 Swarbs

Swarbs

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:LX 5000

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:59 PM

Fitted Betta rubber doors and boot to the LX and not an issue

#4 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:03 PM

Betta has worked fine for 2 toranas.

Never bought the other two so can't compare.

#5 torana_nick

torana_nick

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Name:Nick
  • Car:LH Torana Project

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:07 PM

Betta auto rubbers where good, fit even my panel beater loved the fit. I didn't rate there weather belts tho, rares quality seemed better.

#6 lcgtr1970

lcgtr1970

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • Name:Jordan

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:31 PM

Thanks very much guys

#7 _SRV_

_SRV_
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:27 PM

Any rubbers (and most other stuff AFAIK) you buy from Kingswood Country will be Rare Spares products, I don't know why the hell they don't mention it on their website. 

#8 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:15 PM

I have used a full rubber kit from rare spares they fitted really well, can't talk about the others don't know

#9 hainzy

hainzy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:56 PM

I used betta for my LX. Everything fit very well! Id certainly recommend them.

#10 _Edan_

_Edan_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:00 PM

Good to see positive feedback on here for the product. We've been in the game of making rubber seals for 40 years this year.

I hope you chose the Rare Spares option, if so I would be keen to hear your comments after you have fitted them to your van.

Edan

RARE SPARES

#11 DMLC71

DMLC71

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Name:Daz M
  • Car:1971 LC 4 door

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:05 PM

I used a 4 LC door full rubber kit from Rare Spares and not a drama
DazM

#12 Monaroman

Monaroman

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Name:Keith
  • Car:Monaro

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:11 AM

I have a HQ Monaro 4 door which I restored. Fitted new Betta rubbers to all doors and boot. Front doors leaked around the top at the front where the curve is. Passenger side worse than drivers. Looked as though the seal didn't sit high enough to seal as I was able to see light past it when the door was closed. Yesterday, I replaced the front door rubbers with Rares and the contour of the Rares seal is different to the Betta product, more like the factory original. The area that the Betta rubber failed to seal was sealed by the Rares rubber. Now for my observations. The Rares rubber is softer than the Betta product. As said, the Rares rubber is the same shape/contour as the original. Betta is different. The plastic clips that hold the rubber to the body, the Betta clip is thicker/wider and I assume stronger than the Rares product. I just unhooked the Betta rubber and hooked the Rares rubber onto the Betta clips. I will say that I bought the Betta rubbers a little over 3 years ago, and installed them 18months ago. I was hoping that they would form to a seal at the top over a period of time, but they never did. I looked at my door adjustments, but I could not get the doors high enough to seal without the top of the doors hitting the roof gutter trim. As I said, the Betta seals were purchased over 3 years ago, so I don't know whether they have changed the contour of the new rubbers in that time. Also, yes, with Betta rubbers, the right rubber was on the right door.

Pros:

Rares seals match the originals in contour/shape.

Rares seals seem to sit better around the door.

Betta use a thicker (my opinion, more robust) clip to hold the rubber to the door.

Cons:

Rares clips are thinner.

Betta rubbers different contour.

Betta rubbers didn't sit snug against the door frame in some places.

Don't know if the heavier rubber of the Betta, or softer rubber of the Rares is any benefit. I liked the softer rubber of the Rares.

Yet to see.

In the time the Betta seals were on, they held up to the door opening/closing with no problem, although the car isn't driven regular. Time will tell with the Rares whether they will rip away from the clips, but installing them onto the Betta clips, the rubber did stretch without ripping. Also, Rares rubbers are now the same for both sides, Betta had a drivers side and passenger side.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers

Keith

Edited by Monaroman, 28 April 2015 - 10:14 AM.

#13 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,902 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 28 April 2015 - 12:57 PM

Seems I bought my kit from this mob. Cant complain.

http://www.rubberkit...r_kits&KitID=15

#14 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2015 - 06:34 PM

I have a HQ Monaro 4 door which I restored. Fitted new Betta rubbers to all doors and boot. Front doors leaked around the top at the front where the curve is. Passenger side worse than drivers. Looked as though the seal didn't sit high enough to seal as I was able to see light past it when the door was closed. Yesterday, I replaced the front door rubbers with Rares and the contour of the Rares seal is different to the Betta product, more like the factory original. The area that the Betta rubber failed to seal was sealed by the Rares rubber. Now for my observations. The Rares rubber is softer than the Betta product. As said, the Rares rubber is the same shape/contour as the original. Betta is different. The plastic clips that hold the rubber to the body, the Betta clip is thicker/wider and I assume stronger than the Rares product. I just unhooked the Betta rubber and hooked the Rares rubber onto the Betta clips. I will say that I bought the Betta rubbers a little over 3 years ago, and installed them 18months ago. I was hoping that they would form to a seal at the top over a period of time, but they never did. I looked at my door adjustments, but I could not get the doors high enough to seal without the top of the doors hitting the roof gutter trim. As I said, the Betta seals were purchased over 3 years ago, so I don't know whether they have changed the contour of the new rubbers in that time. Also, yes, with Betta rubbers, the right rubber was on the right door.
Pros:
Rares seals match the originals in contour/shape.
Rares seals seem to sit better around the door.
Betta use a thicker (my opinion, more robust) clip to hold the rubber to the door.
Cons:
Rares clips are thinner.
Betta rubbers different contour.
Betta rubbers didn't sit snug against the door frame in some places.
Don't know if the heavier rubber of the Betta, or softer rubber of the Rares is any benefit. I liked the softer rubber of the Rares.
Yet to see.
In the time the Betta seals were on, they held up to the door opening/closing with no problem, although the car isn't driven regular. Time will tell with the Rares whether they will rip away from the clips, but installing them onto the Betta clips, the rubber did stretch without ripping. Also, Rares rubbers are now the same for both sides, Betta had a drivers side and passenger side.
Hope this helps someone.

Cheers
Keith

Rare Spares clips are the same as the later genuine clips, also Rare Spares rubbers are GMH endorsed.
Les

#15 Monaroman

Monaroman

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 07:00 PM

I made a mistake with the Betta rubbers as they are same seal for both sides. Les, the clips maybe the same as the genuine, but I felt the Betta clips were better because they are a little thicker. Comparing the profiles of the seals, on looking at the Betta passenger side door seal closer, it seemed to be a little deformed and wouldn't pull into the shape it was suppose to be( like this before I installed it),  whereby the Rares seals was a consistant profile all the way around. The Betta one may have been faulty, as the drivers side was a little better, profile wise.

I will again say that the Betta seals were purchased over 3 years ago, so things might be different now with the Betta seals. The Rares seal's I bought were made in January this year.    

Edited by Monaroman, 28 April 2015 - 07:06 PM.

#16 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2015 - 07:27 PM

Might wanna search the site for Betta.... Sounds like one to avoid..

#17 Monaroman

Monaroman

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:36 PM

Hi Skap

Yes mate, I've read the other thread on Betta.

Cheers

#18 Dave6179

Dave6179

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Name:David
  • Car:HJ, VN, VX SS

Posted 08 May 2015 - 02:35 PM

Just fitted rear door window seals to my HJ today. From KC Spares, good price, quick delivery... across the ditch, fitted very nice.

Many moons ago I put Rare Spares front door rubbers on, and they too leak across the top, and somewhere down beside the screen. Bit of fiddling with door position and (at the moment) not too bad, shame I had to use a bit of Ados at the top rear corner.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users