old faded defect sticker...

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#26 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:07 AM

I wonder how many people buy defected vehicles thinking there just unregistered....

#27 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,714 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:11 AM

I wonder how many people buy defected vehicles thinking there just unregistered....

.. or how many registered cars for sale have a defect sticker that was removed and never cleared?

So not only do you have to do a REVS check but also a defect check when buying.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 24 February 2016 - 09:11 AM.

#28 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:19 AM

Which, like stolen vehicles you probably cant do.

#29 UCSLE

UCSLE

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Name:troy
  • Car:Goggomobil

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:32 AM

I can only speak from my experience in WA but I assume it is similar.

Usually when you get a defect you get x amount of time to fix it, take the car over the pits, and continue with the current registration.

If the rego lapses, the defect is null and void because it will have to be deemed roadworthy(pass pit inspection) before being re-registered anyway.

i was told by a person at the licensing center that the sticker on my torana was still current even though it was about 15 years old and because of that i could only

get a permit to go straight to pits .

Something the online permit i got for a sticked / unlic commodore a couple of months before hand failed to mention .

#30 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:35 AM

Yet another reason to move to car friendly Victoria.
None of this applies here. Get your rwc and get back on the road.
The only pain here is that you can't get an unreg vehicle permit on a defected car. It's easier to cancel the reg, then it's the same as any other unreg vehicle.
The permits state that the vehicle should be safe for road use anyway.

I must admit I have great difficulty believing an engine from a defected vehicle is unable to be registered in another vehicle if correctly installed and complying with the usual regs re mods and emissions.
Sure you're not on a naughty list?

#31 _grumpy 026_

_grumpy 026_
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:41 AM

Just to clear some of the previous posts.

I have two weeks ago registers a car here in nsw.

The engine in this car was from a written off car on the rta (now RMS) register and insurance register.

All ok, simply showed a certified copy of purchase of the engine and chassis that the engine came from and that the car it went into had previously been registered, A current blue slip  for this car and RTA registered it no problems.

G.

#32 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,714 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:58 AM

i was told by a person at the licensing centre that the sticker on my torana was still current even though it was about 15 years old

Since they have it on record; I'd still remove it, then you can at least drive it around without getting pinged; then again if you're unlucky to drive in front of a Highway Patrol their camera will pick up on the unregistered plates; something they didn't have back in the day.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 24 February 2016 - 11:58 AM.

#33 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,616 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:01 PM

If the defected vehicle hasn't been repaired and presented for inspection within the time frame stated on the defect notice then the Transport Authority will cancel the vehicles registration after a nominated period.

#34 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,714 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:03 PM

If the defected vehicle hasn't been repaired and presented for inspection within the time frame stated on the defect notice then the Transport Authority will cancel the vehicles registration after a nominated period.

Fair enough. You could still sell it within the nominated period though.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 24 February 2016 - 12:18 PM.

#35 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,165 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:16 PM

Correct statement

#36 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,616 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:18 PM

Fair enough. You could still sell it within the time frame though.

s

And as soon as you try to transfer the rego the defect notice will pop up.

#37 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:22 PM

Which is after the deal has been done and the seller may or may not be frOck knows where....

#38 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,616 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:32 PM

Which is after the deal has been done and the seller may or may not be frOck knows where....

It is the sellers responsibility to transfer the registration. As a buyer it would be prudent not to pay in full or take possession of the vehicle until the rego is in your name.

If you are buying the vehicle unregistered then none of the above really matters, the buyer takes responsibility for ensuring the car is roadworthy and procuring registration.

Edited by S pack, 24 February 2016 - 12:34 PM.

#39 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,714 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:38 PM

It is the sellers responsibility to transfer the registration.

On what planet?

The buyer can indeed do as you say but it's not mandatory for the seller to transfer the rego. As we all keep saying, 'buyer beware'.

Heaps of people have been caught out because the new owner didn't transfer the rego and went through red light cameras, etc. If it was mandatory, this wouldn't happen.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 24 February 2016 - 12:43 PM.

#40 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:45 PM

Um, no, the way the rego papers are worded the buyer must present them to transfer the rego. Its only the sellers responsibility to provide a rwc in Qld.

Its not possible to check if a vehicle is stolen or not, again at least in Qld, and I doubt you could simply do a check to see if its been defected or not.

#41 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:47 PM

On what planet?

lol.

#42 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,616 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:27 PM

On what planet?

The buyer can indeed do as you say but it's not mandatory for the seller to transfer the rego. As we all keep saying, 'buyer beware'.

Heaps of people have been caught out because the new owner didn't transfer the rego and went through red light cameras, etc. If it was mandatory, this wouldn't happen.

s

Um, no, the way the rego papers are worded the buyer must present them to transfer the rego. Its only the sellers responsibility to provide a rwc in Qld.

Its not possible to check if a vehicle is stolen or not, again at least in Qld, and I doubt you could simply do a check to see if its been defected or not.

Well fuk me I thought we were on Uranus.

I apologise if my information t is incorrect however that is what I understood the requirements to be. I wholeheartedly agree it is always Buyer Beware.

Cheers

Dave.

#43 limo

limo

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts
  • Car:most Torana models, Jag, Vauxhall, Triton, Staesman

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:22 PM

one thing to note here in SA we don't have "blue slips" "RWC"  things so no annual inspections and all defects are cleared by RTA inspection or in the case of minor faults at a Police Station.

Also no problems with transferring engine from defected car to another one, did it a month ago simply filled out an application sent it in and they posted back a new rego paper with new number.

The RTA inspection is everything so the whole car must be right not just what defects were found and costs about $190 I think

#44 limo

limo

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts
  • Car:most Torana models, Jag, Vauxhall, Triton, Staesman

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:30 PM

And as soon as you try to transfer the rego the defect notice will pop up.

In SA you can use free access to Transport Section on line to check rego.

says current until a date or unregistered, defected, stolen, written off

need to use rego number/letters

which means you can check before you buy.

We don't have labels on windscreen now which is a trap making lots of money for Govt,

#45 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,999 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:51 PM

I got defected in NSW only a few years ago.

Cracked windscreen.

Got the canary on the windscreen.

Went to a mates workshop, got the windscreen replaced and defect lifted.

All from a standard pink slip station.

#46 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,769 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:56 PM

Crikey,this is confusing! , has been a while but the last time i had a minor defect like a blown brake light or whatever the deal was

we had a certain time to present the car at either the cop shop or transport dept. with the piece of paper denoting defect , some one 

would come and check that the defect was no longer a defect and off you go.

Again,it has been a while but i think that when rego. is transferred the registered owner fills out a piece of paper and the new owner 

takes those papers in to  transport dept. along with RWC from licensed inspector who ticks all the right boxes and you pay the money and off you go with a receipt and no number plates but still quite safe.

Seems a bit odd that a car that has not been rego'd for a while should still have a defect notice pending ?

Can see the point that the previous defect may well and probably is on the record ,but if the inspector has given the thumbs up at rego time it is no longer a defected vehicle because the original defect is fixed, or is it , maybe "bogans" are running the show ?

#47 LXdamo

LXdamo

Still Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Name:Damo
  • Car:bits here bits there.....

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:33 PM

I've bought a few defected cars and had them cleared in SA.

I was lucky enough to get the paperwork with the cars which showed what the defects were.

Once it has been to the pits once, they can issue another defect which shows more defects( yes more money for them) but after that list was fixed, that was it!

One of the cars even ran rough as on the way down there, got passed and rego'd

Pulled over on the side of the road afterwards and put number eight spark plug lead back on and it ran sweet!

It does depend on the day the inspector is having at regency too!

#48 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,616 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:52 PM

Crikey,this is confusing! , has been a while but the last time i had a minor defect like a blown brake light or whatever the deal was

we had a certain time to present the car at either the cop shop or transport dept. with the piece of paper denoting defect , some one 

would come and check that the defect was no longer a defect and off you go.

We have a better method (albeit 13 years ago) here in Qld. The cops just pull up beside you at the traffic lights in their shiny new Red VY SS, wind down the passenger window and tell you both of your brake lights are dead, have a quick chat about their new SS Commy the light turns green and off they go.  :)

#49 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,769 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:22 PM

Ok,so i buy a car that has a defect notice,the defect was never fixed  and rego. was expired when i bought the car , understandable that the car would need to be towed home , fair enough , it is not in RWC and a permit may not be issued to drive the car home because it is not RW  because the defect notice is still outstanding,fix defect or perhaps other ways to clear that issue.

Or,i buy an unrego. defect  car and get it home or wherever one way or the other,do some tidy up work to make sure that when i get it inspected for rego. that all the boxes are ticked,is that defect notice still valid even though the inspector has taken the $ and is saving

his own backside by allowing a now RW car with no defects on the road even though it had a defect notice , the licensed inspector 

did jump through all the hoops to get the license , so how can the defect notice still be valid for ever ?

Basically,fix what needs fixing and the inspector should be able to tick the right boxes when it is time for the pits and note things that 

may need attention if there are any,how could they  forever have a defect notice on something other than being on some "record",so frokin what ! ..it is up to the inspector to deem the thing RW or otherwise without the confusing bullshit of a 2000 year old piece of shit faded paper that we can't even read on the window that means nothing. Woopy frokn do , just fix it up and get the thing on the road. 

#50 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,999 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:50 PM

Someone been listenign to the bloke down the pub again?

The one that says A9Xs were only hatches?

We all know the guy.......

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users