#1 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,457 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 10:47 AM

All.

Just gotten around to do a trial fitment of a VT-VZ MRA into my HK fuel tank.

I had to get a section at the top lowered by about 20mm so the height was right for the MRA. There is really only one place the MRA can fit due to the nature of a HK tank and the ring is welded in there. The outlets have to face forwards or I could put it sideways (the outlets hit the higher section of the tank where it isn't lowered). The issue I have is the float and arm hits on the sloping front of the tank so it will never show anything much past 3/4.

Can you buy a shorter arm with lighter float? Like half the length.

I have had a bit of a play and if I bend the arm 90deg just in front of the MRA it should work but I think this puts the float closer to the pivot point and not sure if this will work or not. I guess with a lighter float it might.

Anyone had similar issues before?

Photos below show the issue. The hoses and old MRA are there to seal it up for a KBS flush, etch and seal inside.

The original sender will hit the MRA too.

Attached File  Tank top c.JPG   268.16K   3 downloads

Attached File  Tank side c.JPG   274.69K   3 downloads

#2 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 May 2020 - 11:03 AM

Can you buy a shorter arm with lighter float? Like half the length.

I'd just cut and weld it.

As long as you have clearance for the arm bending would be fine too I'm sure, the float should be ample to lift it at any length. You could always test it with some water to make sure.

#3 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 11:27 AM

Byron, why don't you remove & discard the float & am off the new MRA & use the original HK fuel sender which already suits your gauge.

Dr Terry.

#4 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,457 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 12:27 PM

Terry, the original sender fouls the MRA I think. I haven't tried it in place as yet. I'd have to replace the original too as the sender isn't functioning and the float is cactus, but it is an option if it fits and I can't make this one work (I'll try it before it goes in the car with the MRA in place). The one there now is an old HR one I cut the pickup and strap off, using it at the moment to seal the tank during the cleaning and etching then KBS coating operation. The VY one I have willl operate the HK gauge, I have a sender signal adapter for it.

#5 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,491 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 08 May 2020 - 02:05 PM

Won’t shortening the arm cause it to exceed range of the rheostat yel? Lighter float won’t make a difference, either it floats or sinks.

What about turning it anticlockwise just enough to get full float travel. You said the inlet/outlets can face forward or sideways. Probably I’m missing something. Modifying the tank for float clearance will cause an issue with clearance to rear axle no doubt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#6 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,457 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 02:15 PM

I meant to type that I can’t put it sideways as the outlets foul on the top of the tank. I tried the old arm off the donor MRA used to seal the hole, and it will work if I bend the arm 90deg but with a full tank the float will be lower than if the arm is straight. Will mean tank will show full until about 3/4. When empty it should be correct. Might be fine.

#7 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,899 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 08 May 2020 - 02:26 PM

I wish I could figure out what MRA stood for.... 

#8 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,457 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 03:04 PM

Here you go Brad
https://www.efihardw...e-Series-II-LS1

#9 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • Name:Tom
  • Car:LX Torana Sunbird

Posted 08 May 2020 - 08:20 PM

just an idea what can be done with those pumps,

i bought a drop tank that came with a pump which had been modified to fit, the torana tank is shallow so the vt pump had to be shortened, it wasnt a neat job and the pump didnt sit flat on the bottom of the tank

2 pics below, 1st is how it was when i got it and 2nd is after i cut the tubes and welded it straight so it would sit flat on the tank bottom, it doesnt exactly help in your situation but you could cut those metal tubes and using a stainless plate or something weld the top and bottom back together at 90 degrees so your sender ran across the tank away from the original sender

obviously need to be careful with the plastic fuel tubes while welding, i think i bought shorter fuel tubes from efi hardware

Attached File  IMG_2010.JPG   99.07K   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_2697.JPG   96.19K   2 downloads

#10 71xu1

71xu1

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • Car:LC GTR XU1

Posted 09 May 2020 - 12:09 AM

I've been playing with an MRA for my tank, I pulled the hollow slides tubes out and cut them to length then slid it back together. With the float I re bent the steel rod to clear and kept bending it so it hit the top of the tank then bottom to give true empty and full . Tested with a multimeter seems like it will work.

#11 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,612 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 09 May 2020 - 07:14 AM

Byron, why don't you remove & discard the float & am off the new MRA & use the original HK fuel sender which already suits your gauge.

Dr Terry.

Agree, an original HK,T,G sender unit could be easily modified so it doesn't foul on the MRA.

Looking at this pic again the orientation of the original sender unit suggests the float arm should already clear the MRA. If not then a slight sideways bend of the arm should do the trick.

post-4909-0-14330000-1588898744.jpg

Edited by S pack, 09 May 2020 - 07:19 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users