2runa

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts
  • Name:Trev
  • Car:XU1 plus GTR

Posted 22 August 2022 - 09:33 AM

I am old enough to have seen the swings in the values of Realestate, cars and other investments increase to the point of unbelievable gains, sometimes more than double and then fall before we know it… sometimes to level of the initial investment. Ouch!

Those who have done ok are the ones who don’t get emotionally attached and take advantage of the swings.

I am not one of those who usually take the opportunity because it’s not about the investment… it’s the attachment that wins. 
I have several items that have seen an increase in value but won’t part with them.

Now we are seeing a fall from the fever where the asking price and those seeking investment are dropping and in our area of common likes to 10 -15%.

We have seen some fantastic gains in all of our like minded passions seeing some north ward of 700k 

Watching the sales and auctions, the want is there but the demand has seen a backing off.

Premium top end vehicles such as GTR, XU1, L34 and A9X 4Dr and 2Dr’s have come off the boil but are the most sought after. 
When is the right time to sell or buy? The issue is that if buying it may not come around again for some time and if selling what would I replace it with?

just my thoughts 

#2 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 22 August 2022 - 11:18 AM

Hi Trev.  I think the simple thing is to ask yourself the question am I buying this as an investment or an attraction. That answer will dictate which road you take (head or heart). The same is "almost" true if selling, but the critical thing in selling is to ensure, if you can, that you do not have to sell but wish to.  Sadly the worst time to sell is generally when you have to, and then you are at the vagaries of the market. Very few people pick the top and bottom of any market. Cheers Ron

#3 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 22 August 2022 - 12:13 PM

Your comments are very relevant and worthy of discussion. I too am in a good financial position (getting old does this for you) and have been looking at a few top end cars as a possible investment. However, I really struggle to see the value in these old cars nowadays as the prices have gone silly. Although I could afford to buy one, I can't justify it at the current prices as I think they have a lot more to drop. Same as real estate too. So I have chosen to wait and put my dosh somewhere else in the meantime. I still have my toy car so can't complain. I guess everyone has their own view, needs and wants. And with the government pushing the whole electric car thing, who knows what is ahead for our old buses :-).

My two bobs worth.

#4 2runa

2runa

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 August 2022 - 12:17 PM

What you said Ron is correct and you captured it well.

I moved into a different industry 32 years ago with several things on my bucket list.

besides Torana’s , Aircraft and Austin Healey MK lll BJ8 was on my list and if only…. If only I had of, made the move so so long ago when the prices and opportunities were ridiculous affordable and I include us all in that statement.

heart often rules over what’s wise… and to the other half we justify our moves and the supportive gesture is a shake of the head along with a frown.

In saying that timing is important.

Edited by 2runa, 22 August 2022 - 12:18 PM.

#5 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:xu1

Posted 22 August 2022 - 02:50 PM

In my view it hinges on how old you are as time generally equals growth in most investments. If you're 60 or over (me) you should be enjoying your wealth/investments if you have any. The graveyards are full of people my age who thought they'd live longer. Most of of you could testify to knowing someone who departed prematurely and lets not forget those with age related health/chronic pain issues which interfere with their quality of life. This is the grand final gents so get out there and buy that car you have always wanted, and make sure you drive it!

#6 2runa

2runa

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 August 2022 - 03:20 PM

Thx Mark
My tag says I joined this site January 2022 and I’m ok with that but in reality it was 2007 and I was 46…. Yikes.

lost a mate similar age recently and you are right.

I was in the market looking and what I noticed was great vehicles passing in or hanging around so I thought I might wait but Mark… you’ve got me thinking lol.

Im thinking patience Trev patience and my mind is going… did you see what Mark just posted.

thx Mark… now it’s stuck in my head.

#7 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,515 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 22 August 2022 - 04:32 PM

Great discussion piece. We've all witnessed an incredible, eye opening journey over the past couple of decades with respect to the booming car prices and collectability / desire / investment opportunities they've offered.

For me personally, I think surely we've seen the peak - but of course, I could be totally wrong. I've said this before - but I truly believe the demand just wont exist in another 20 years time (as the next generation grows up and moves into their own wealthy window of life), they will be seeking different things, not dirty old muscle/classic cars) - so that, by default means prices will go the other way. There will always be exceptions of course.

So at the end of the day - my personal motto and advice to anyone who wants to hear it - is simply buy want you want and enjoy it. Don't buy for investment, but buy it to use it and to fulfill your own dreams. Be greedy! And if you're lucky enough to be really cashed up, then enjoy spending it while you can. If anyone happens to make good money during this journey by buying and selling at the right times (timing is everything), then good on them!

#8 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,165 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 22 August 2022 - 06:21 PM

Good to hear from you again its been a while 

Do it now you’re a long time dead  

Well said Brett 

#9 2runa

2runa

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 August 2022 - 08:28 PM

Hey Gene it only seems like yesterday. I thought you were in Perth?

I’ve had to many projects on the go in the last several years, most of them are in their final stages now which leaves me contemplating what’s next. 

I was going to build a 4 seat Sling TSI low wing aircraft but there’s an 18 month wait on the components… don’t know if I want to do another car project… much prefer to purchase someone else’s completed project that has attention to detail.

4 or 2dr A9X but with the prices as they are it will have to wait. Wish list.

#10 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,165 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 22 August 2022 - 08:39 PM

Yes mate still in the west 

#11 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,329 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 August 2022 - 06:34 PM

With the Black SL/R 5000 selling for 180k the other day, I'm not sure that Australia has run out of nutters with fat wallets just yet.  I don't think we will ever see the likes of the depreciation in muscle cars of the late 90's and late 00's again either. There are only so many of these old bangers to go around, and there are still plenty of young guys and gals who want one.

The only car I bought as an investment was my last one. The rest were just consigned to the back of an old shed when they were retired and now they just happen to be worth a lot of money, but only for my kids. Even If i don't use them, I won't sell them because they have been a part of my life for decades and I just like the nostalgia of it all. 

#12 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,902 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 23 August 2022 - 08:01 PM

Supply and demand. The supply is only going to continue to reduce as every now and then a Toyota Camry will run a red light and T-Bone someone’s classic. The are not making these cars anymore.

And I guess the demand will also reduce if these Woke Melbourne City folk continue to be brainwashed towards EV’s.

But I’m sure there will always be some sort of demand.

I guess my car kinda seems like a bargain now when I was selling it for $65k less than 8 years ago.

Edited by hanra, 23 August 2022 - 08:01 PM.

#13 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,364 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 August 2022 - 09:15 AM

I think the time to sell your toys that have appreciated is if the market is high, and you have a few, and you'd be just as happy with less, or cheaper vehicles. Personally, I don't really want any less cars because they're all siiiiick and they deliver different ownership experiences... ownership experiences that cannot be replicated all that easily by anything cheaper. I just want to perfect each of them.

If I had two XU-1's for example then I'd certainly sell one and buy a JWF Milano or a Bolwell and pocket the difference because I'd have a more appealing fleet, plus more money I could invest in equities.

In contrast, I wouldn't sell my hatch for a million dollars. There is no car I would rather and my connection with it is un-matched by anything. A million dollars also wouldn't buy back the quarter of my life I spent building it.

#14 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 24 August 2022 - 09:51 AM

I have no doubt classic cars will continue to be in demand as attractions and investments ( and hands up all those who honestly bought their car based on investment strategies).  The question is which make/model will be in demand.  My son (36yo) believes that the next generation will not have the same attraction to Toranas and the like (fords etc.) that we have simply because they are not the first cars they bought, they did not see them racing, etc. Half of them would not know who Peter Brock was. Take a look at the different parts that Rarespares are now making for VL's and the like and that may give you an indication of where the classic market is heading. And if that logic is correct the next wave of buyers will be some time off as that generation is still establishing themselves financially. As others have said, time is a big factor but it can work against you if you are holding onto a theory of something appreciating in a mature market that isn't going to recover.  Nobody of my vintage would have every believed there would not be a demand for typewriters or cameras. Enjoy what you have while you have it but keep one eye on the piggy bank. Cheers Ron

#15 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 August 2022 - 10:02 AM

Had my Torana now for 30 years, along the way, everyone said I was wasting my money on it, never get it back, but I built it the way I wanted it and time made the cost appear to be nothing special. Now I could get 3 times what I have spent maybe more but I have now inkling to sell as what I would have to spend to equal the performance and looks would be similar, but as for the stock standard car buyers I understand the return for the high value cars, I don't see in 10 years the same amount of cashed up buyers looking to part with huge sums of cash for a trophy car that is too limited to risk driving hard or everyday because we know that they wear or risk of damage.

#16 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 August 2022 - 10:47 AM

I've had my hatch for 20 years. Owed me $50,000 after restoring it in 2002. Never thought I would get my money back and never restored it to make money, but there you go. People kept telling me I was mad, But I don't smoke, limited drinker and don't blow money on stupid stuff or drugs (same thing).

Not interested in selling it because it's now part of the family and my son keeps telling me it's his when I fall off the perch and keeps telling me his sister can have the SLR going by his plans. Don't take it out much anymore since I purchased the Aston. Will have to do a few thing to it to get me interested again. Although I have had a couple of overpriced stupid offers over the years I have always managed to resist.  

#17 2runa

2runa

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 August 2022 - 05:32 PM

Who knows?.. the 800k A9X may have been bought because they had to have it. Maybe? Rather than investment or perhaps both investment and emotions.

I remember a wealthy businessman would the buy the expensive thing at the charity action because he said he’d always get his money back and most likely it would appreciate in value rather than buy several items that would never support his “investment” mean while he would receive acknowledgment for the biggest supporter of the night… cunning. 

guess it’s a bit like property… buy where someone else would want to live.

if the investment returns gains then you have satisfied both the investment and the have to have.

#18 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Car:LJ GTR XU1 and LX SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 August 2022 - 06:36 PM

People do seem to assume I have my cars as an investment but they’re wrong. All my cars are 100% emotion. I couldn’t sell any of mine no matter the price and I’ve had some stupid offers over recent years.

If prices go down a bit I might even get one more

Cheers,

Liz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 evl666

evl666

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Car:71 LC 73 LJ

Posted 26 August 2022 - 04:08 PM

Never ever did I see my cars as an investment. Always wanted a lj xu1 cause I loved them. Bought it when I was 28. Fast forward 12 years I went and bought a basket case lc gtr cause I always wanted to build a car from scratch. Fast forward 5 years from that and I’d finished the car. Now I had two Torana’s but only time to drive one. I was sad but I knew it was time. I sold the lj not because it was time to ‘cash in’ but to give me more time to enjoy the other one. Plus some money just incase another car came along to tickle my fancy. The moral of the story is for me it’s emotional. Not an investment.

#20 Balfizar

Balfizar

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Name:Chris

Posted 29 August 2022 - 05:04 PM

Both, sold mine last year because our financial advisor said all assets need to go into super prior to retirement from the work force or you will pay 15% tax later.  So it went.

I console myself with the $100K appreciation I made.

117121267_4740634065950605_3211106266954509460_o.jpg

#21 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts
  • Car:LH SL/R 5000

Posted 30 August 2022 - 07:29 AM

I have no doubt classic cars will continue to be in demand as attractions and investments ( and hands up all those who honestly bought their car based on investment strategies).  The question is which make/model will be in demand.  My son (36yo) believes that the next generation will not have the same attraction to Toranas and the like (fords etc.) that we have simply because they are not the first cars they bought, they did not see them racing, etc. Half of them would not know who Peter Brock was. Take a look at the different parts that Rarespares are now making for VL's and the like and that may give you an indication of where the classic market is heading. And if that logic is correct the next wave of buyers will be some time off as that generation is still establishing themselves financially. As others have said, time is a big factor but it can work against you if you are holding onto a theory of something appreciating in a mature market that isn't going to recover.  Nobody of my vintage would have every believed there would not be a demand for typewriters or cameras. Enjoy what you have while you have it but keep one eye on the piggy bank. Cheers Ron

I've been saying this for years.. The proof in my eyes was my dad. I remember growing up all of the cars that got his blood boiling were the cars from the 30's and 40's. Because when he was a young fella, that's what he saw being raced, dragged and driven around by the cool kids. where I, don't really give 2 rats arses about cars from the 30's. When I was a young fella the cars I saw being raced, dragged and driven around by the cool kids were toranas, monaro's, chargers and old falcons. So they are the cars I like. The 15 year old today doesn't see a lot of those cars around, so has no connection to them. So when that 15 year old is 30 and has some spare money... What do you think the car he will buy will be????

#22 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 30 August 2022 - 07:31 AM

Supply and demand. The supply is only going to continue to reduce as every now and then a Toyota Camry will run a red light and T-Bone someone’s classic. The are not making these cars anymore.

And I guess the demand will also reduce if these Woke Melbourne City folk continue to be brainwashed towards EV’s.

Do you have members of the woke brigade over there in OZ??..... I thought they were only on this side of the ditch!

#23 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 30 August 2022 - 08:06 AM

There are a lot of kiwis over here 8 )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#24 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 30 August 2022 - 08:28 AM

There are a lot of kiwis over here 8 )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LOL!!..... Making it a better place!... :D

#25 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,902 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 30 August 2022 - 09:22 AM

Do you have members of the woke brigade over there in OZ??..... I thought they were only on this side of the ditch!

Yep they all live in Melbourne and Sydney. Or used to, and have now moved to Qld.... 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users