Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Car:1971 LC Four Door S

Posted 18 September 2024 - 11:37 AM

It's only every two years?

Unfortunately, yes it's normally only every two years, and never a guarantee that there will be a next one.

#53 FLY_LX

FLY_LX

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Car:LX sedan

Posted 18 September 2024 - 06:24 PM

unfortunately i didn't make it, planed to but my car had different idea, anyway

i saw this on youtube, they came it from the rear and it peaked my interest because, while i love toranas, there all done in the same style.

so when i saw something different i was ok not bad, side skirts usually look wrong, but i thought they were ok, and the vent i liked, reminded my of astin martin. 

then they swing around to the front, and i was like oh my, looks like a merc grill and lights on one of those old trans-am front? or something.

so i like it, except for front, and it might look different in person?

what do y'all think about it?

a1dd3d5e626362344e49b791323a4442.jpg

#54 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,034 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 18 September 2024 - 06:39 PM

Lol...I took only a very few pics at T/F, this was one of them. Didn't have time to check it out properly in the flesh. At first I thought it was that hatch with the reptile look.

Attached Files

#55 Indy Orange

Indy Orange

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,873 posts
  • Name:Paul

Posted 18 September 2024 - 07:22 PM

Not my taste .

Edited by Indy Orange, 18 September 2024 - 07:23 PM.

#56 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,171 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 18 September 2024 - 07:30 PM

Wild Torana 

Attached Files

#57 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,171 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 18 September 2024 - 07:54 PM

Just a few pics i took 

enjoy 

Link

#58 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,365 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 September 2024 - 03:20 PM

I would have thought the owner of the yellow hatchback with the all-steel custom bodywork would have had to rock up to Toranafest in an armoured suit... I can't imagine he had a whole lot of fans! Anyway I as long as the car is bringing someone some joy it's far better than being rusting in a paddock or similar.

The event was smoothly run although I could not believe how quiet the town was the rest of the time, seriously, how do you hide 500+ bright Toranas in a little place like that?

We drove all around Maitland Friday night looking for action and went down to Newcastle thinking we'd see some Toranas. Nothing at all.

Attached File  2024-09-13 22.40.14-1.jpg   215.77K   10 downloads

For those of us who drove 1,000km each way, I really think it would be nice if there were some hang-outs after hours... something as simple as a kebab shop with a decent carpark that's officially suggested as a bit of a Toranafest hot spot etc.

There were a hell of a lot of people who wanted to talk to me, and I found I didn't have enough time for that (and certainly not enough time to see all of the cars as well) during the two day-time events. In any case that is a great problem to have and it was awesome to see all the appreciation for the job on the car at its first Toranafest.

I thought the Saturday was FANTASTIC with the biplanes and the aviation museum etc.

I really enjoyed meeting so many forum members and guys from the FB groups (sorry for the brevity) and talked to a lot of people about the headlight covers I do and the demo SpeedHut clusters I had in the boot.

Also managed to succesfully duck & dive to avoid Skap all weekend so that was quite a thrill as well, LOL.

Attached File  2024-09-15 13.30.55.jpg   383.25K   11 downloads

Attached File  2024-09-15 14.07.15.jpg   464.11K   10 downloads

Attached File  2024-09-14 14.03.22.jpg   414.56K   9 downloads

Attached File  2024-09-14 10.47.00.jpg   392.11K   8 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20240918_161230.jpg   176.54K   7 downloads

#59 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 September 2024 - 07:32 AM

Good to have a brief chat and catch up Heath, great to finally have a in the flesh look at your hatch for the first time, well done. 

#60 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,528 posts

Posted 20 September 2024 - 09:01 AM

I would have thought the owner of the yellow hatchback with the all-steel custom bodywork would have had to rock up to Toranafest in an armoured suit... I can't imagine he had a whole lot of fans! Anyway I as long as the car is bringing someone some joy it's far better than being rusting in a paddock or similar.

The event was smoothly run although I could not believe how quiet the town was the rest of the time, seriously, how do you hide 500+ bright Toranas in a little place like that?

We drove all around Maitland Friday night looking for action and went down to Newcastle thinking we'd see some Toranas. Nothing at all.

attachicon.gif 2024-09-13 22.40.14-1.jpg

For those of us who drove 1,000km each way, I really think it would be nice if there were some hang-outs after hours... something as simple as a kebab shop with a decent carpark that's officially suggested as a bit of a Toranafest hot spot etc.

There were a hell of a lot of people who wanted to talk to me, and I found I didn't have enough time for that (and certainly not enough time to see all of the cars as well) during the two day-time events. In any case that is a great problem to have and it was awesome to see all the appreciation for the job on the car at its first Toranafest.

I thought the Saturday was FANTASTIC with the biplanes and the aviation museum etc.

I really enjoyed meeting so many forum members and guys from the FB groups (sorry for the brevity) and talked to a lot of people about the headlight covers I do and the demo SpeedHut clusters I had in the boot.

Also managed to succesfully duck & dive to avoid Skap all weekend so that was quite a thrill as well, LOL.

attachicon.gif 2024-09-15 13.30.55.jpg

attachicon.gif 2024-09-15 14.07.15.jpg

attachicon.gif 2024-09-14 14.03.22.jpg

attachicon.gif 2024-09-14 10.47.00.jpg

attachicon.gif IMG_20240918_161230.jpg

Looks like you found Kooragang Island? Used to be a good Sunday hangout there until Police decided street drag racing was not allowed!

When Toranafest used to be in Newcastle it would have been far easier to do what you suggest, but the bad side of it being out in the sticks is it's a long way from anywhere and at the other side of a permanent traffic jam. I simply don't go up that way anymore, way too much traffic. Your best bet for get together from Maitland region would be in the Vineyards, however not many places after hours - about the only real action up there after hours is weddings or if there is a big concert on, but when that happens you really don't want to be there as you'll walk faster. If the Heddon Greta drive is still operating next time, it might be possible to do a Torana only movie night, but for organisers that might be like herding cats and hard to predict numbers.

Glad you had fun! Newcastle, Port Stephens, Lake Macquarie and Cessnock have some great places to visit and things to do, but a lot of it is daylight only.

#61 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,400 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 20 September 2024 - 05:55 PM

Thanks for sharing some great photos everyone!

I hope to have my hatch back on the road next year, so I'll pencil the 2026 Toranafest as an event to get to! 

@Heath - It seems like a NSW thing mate, they aren't a very social bunch... Not even sure if they do Sunday trading yet! haha. I recall last time I went to Wollongong to visit family I struggled to find a café open on a Sunday to grab a coffee! And when I finally did... It was rubbish anyway! Haha

#62 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 September 2024 - 07:01 PM

Thanks for sharing some great photos everyone!

I hope to have my hatch back on the road next year, so I'll pencil the 2026 Toranafest as an event to get to! 

@Heath - It seems like a NSW thing mate, they aren't a very social bunch... Not even sure if they do Sunday trading yet! haha. I recall last time I went to Wollongong to visit family I struggled to find a café open on a Sunday to grab a coffee! And when I finally did... It was rubbish anyway! Haha

Pfff, maybe they were all hiding from you Matt because your a Mexican, by the way has it stopped raining down there yet. Ha Ha interstate banter never stops does it.

#63 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,528 posts

Posted 20 September 2024 - 07:28 PM

You won’t have trouble finding stuff to do on a Sunday in any of the Hunter Region cities (Lake Mac, Port Stephens, Newcastle, Cessnock, Maitland being the bigger ones). Heaps of bars, restaurants, coffee shops and even shopping centres. The biggest hassle will be finding a car park, especially if it’s a pride and joy that you want to keep yours eyes on.

#64 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts
  • Car:LH SL/R 5000

Posted 23 September 2024 - 09:21 AM

Unfortunately, yes it's normally only every two years, and never a guarantee that there will be a next one.

If the event is this successful another one would be guaranteed wouldn't it??

#65 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,034 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 04 October 2024 - 06:35 PM

It's been a loooooooong time since I've popped my head in the forum-

But really looking forward to catching up with all the old crew. It's been too long.

Also super happy to have our family business, Gassed Automotive, back as a sponsor of the event. It's something that's been a huge part of our lives since 2003 (it was actually the first ever car show I entered!)

Seeyas there!

Hi mate,
Thanks again for your Support.
FYI we still have your Sponsor's goodie bag, certificate, 2 x shirts here.
We will try and get them to you.

Edited by RallyRed, 04 October 2024 - 06:35 PM.

#66 GMH-01X

GMH-01X

Drive Fast Take Chances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts
  • Name:Aaron
  • Car:1977 Hatchback

Posted 06 October 2024 - 05:34 PM

Toranafest 2024 Hatchback Heaven

https://youtu.be/DZJ...rHodfOXJAA_qb-X

#67 Hatchback13