Johno

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Name:John
  • Car:LX Torana

Posted 19 May 2024 - 08:46 AM

Bought an 308 engine from someone who said it was running fine when pulled from previous car. It sat in my garage with everything taped off, plugs in with an engine lifting plate on it. Engine turned over by hand (didn’t test a full rotation).

Fast forward 5 months and I go to turn the engine over and it’s seized. Thinking it’s potentially a rusty bore from sitting I put oil and wd40 in plug holes and manage to free it up over a few days. But it took a 3 foot breaker bar on the crank bolt.

I pull sump off and inspect the bores and find significant scoring on one bore. The rest seem ok.

Is it even possible for me to be able to significantly score a bore by just turning it over by hand? Or is it likely this was done by previous owner while running?

What are my options for repairing this? Is it full rebuild with a resleeve if the bores are already 60 /of that scoring is too deep?

Attached Files

#2 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,441 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 09:41 AM

You won't know for sure until you pull it apart, but I reckon that piston is toast too. Looks like a broken ring and or damaged piston. I wouldn't bother sleeving a block already at +0.060 unless it's something special like the original engine for a HQ GTS or similar.

I'd find a new block that is at 30 or 40 over, and get it bored to 60, re-use the pistons and find another piston to replace that one. But don't do anything until its apart. That is all of course if it's a budget rebuild for a daily or weekender.

You should be able to re-use everything else in the engine except for bearings, gaskets, cam and lifters.

What is the engine, as in engine prefix, manual or auto pattern etc?

#3 Johno

Johno

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Name:John
  • Car:LX Torana

Posted 19 May 2024 - 09:49 AM

Engine is trimatic pattern black motor out of a VK. I’ve mot actually checked the engine date though.

I’ve got another 308 engine that was running but chewed a couple cam lobes. It’s running the same old style heads. I was thinking about replacing that cam with the cam from this engine with the bore damage. As long I keep the order of lifters and pushrods the same as what they came out.

Is this an option? I don’t want to have to break in a new cam with all the flat tappet cam failures happening.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users