neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • Name:Tom
  • Car:LX Torana Sunbird

Posted 20 June 2024 - 11:17 AM

Have all my vehicles and the home and contents with Shannons and the renewal has gone up by 25% this year.

I have asked for them to reconsider such a large increase but the answer was no so I'm thinking about moving my home and contents.

Budget direct is $900 cheaper annually but I am skeptical if they are any good to deal with when you need them. Anyone use Budget Direct? I like the dog on the add with the light saber but not sure its enough to convince me.

Strangely GIO also owned by Suncorp that own Shannons are $350 cheaper annually.

I used to use NRMA for my vehicles before Shannons existed and never had any issues so thinking about moving the home and contents to them.

Any recommendations?

#2 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 20 June 2024 - 11:55 AM

In all honesty, these days I would look at using a broker.

Just renewed my insurance for the house and car with Woolworths and didnt get any significant increase.

It went up, but not by a huge amount.

Often a broker will get you a better deal with a company than you can get for yourself.

Cheers

Rob

#3 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 12:38 PM

Interesting, thanks Rob,
I know an underwriter, will ask him for brokers

#4 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,898 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 20 June 2024 - 01:00 PM

I go through this with Shannons every year. They automatically increase the amount the property is insured for which raises premiums. 

Its soooo hard to get a comparison with other insurance companies as I have 6 policies with Shannons and get a discount. 

The other insurance companies dont deal with classic cars so it ends up spread across 2 insurers and I never see comparable quotes. 

#5 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,441 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 01:42 PM

My Insurance has gone crazy in the last two renewals. Flipped between Insurers to save a few $100 but it's still 300% of what it was 3 years ago. Doesn't matter who I get prices through. We aren't in a flood or fire risk area. The estimate to rebuild is massive now compared to 5 years ago, and when you look at the cost of a project home compared to 5 years ago it is reflected in that too.

#6 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 20 June 2024 - 02:48 PM

Budget direct and AAMI are both easy to do online and I have switched between both in recent years.

Give the online calculator a go.

Brokers are a scam. Will only show you who they deal with, not the whole market. Behaviour is affected by their commission structure. Only if you have a personal relationship with one would I think about taking their advice. Maybe.

Always best to do your own legwork.

I presume you have maxed out your excess to minimise the premium?

#7 skap

skap

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Name:Skap
  • Car:Mighty VN

Posted 20 June 2024 - 02:52 PM

Thanks for the reminder.  Need to call Suncorp.

My insurance increase was 50% this year.  I have had no claims, no properties in flood zones or the like.. baffles me why.

#8 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,441 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 03:14 PM

It goes up relative to their whole portfolio risk and profit margins. Nothing much to do with individual property risks, that is a minimal factor in the increases.

In the end it's like interest rates, don't whinge, join. Buy bank shares. Buy Insurance shares. Like last big scare I bought bulk CBA shares at about $85 a share, they are near $130 less than 2 years later plus they've been paying dividends. Suncorp have done me well too.

#9 skap

skap

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Name:Skap
  • Car:Mighty VN

Posted 20 June 2024 - 03:47 PM

fair enough. 

One phone call dropped the increase by half, now "only" a 25% increase... really shouldnt have to do that every year! 

Whilst on the 36 minute phone call i did online quotes at Budgetdirect with the same values, excesses etc.  The price was higher than the original Suncorp price on both policies.  That was quite surprising... 

#10 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,513 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 20 June 2024 - 04:46 PM

Agree with rexy - be brave on upping the excess and pull that premium down as much as possible.

I've used both Budget Direct and more recently - Youi. Always found their prices to be extremely good when compared to most others. I haven't made any claims though.

#11 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 08:28 PM

I got an email response from Shannons saying as they are a niche automotive insurer their home and contents policies are not as competitive.

At least it was a good honest response.

I upped my excess last year when the renewal came with an increase.

Will keep shopping around.

#12 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,000 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 20 June 2024 - 08:46 PM

Been through this with cars and houses.
You really need to get hard quotes, then download the PDS and Policy docs and sit down and read them, and critically compare.
It's a pain in the arse, but your hourly rate by doing it may be worthwhile.
Otherwise, it's like you asking me to sell you a bag of lollies...$5 bag or $15 bag....your choice, but you cant look inside
(or choose not to).
Best to know WHAT you are buying.
e.g. about 10 years ago we were comparing house insurance and Shannons came in quite cheap...however, in a total loss situation, they only covered 6m rent for a house for you + family to live while you house was rebuilt. Other insurers were 12m or whatever.
There is no way a total loss house could be replaced in 6m. Thus you could be up for 8m ? rent at $500 p/w to live in rented accommodation, to save a few hundred in policy $$.
The whole thing is a big roulette wheel I reckon.

Edited by RallyRed, 20 June 2024 - 08:48 PM.

#13 ChrisLC

ChrisLC

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Car:1971 LC Four Door S

Posted 20 June 2024 - 11:27 PM

Whilst on the 36 minute phone call i did online quotes at Budgetdirect with the same values, excesses etc.  The price was higher than the original Suncorp price on both policies.  That was quite surprising... 

In my experience, every time I get a home and contents insurance quote from Budget, it has been a huge waste of time. Well over 50% higher than the existing policy. They can get stuffed, I am not paying for their rubbish commercials. 

#14 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,441 posts

Posted 21 June 2024 - 06:52 AM

I've found the same Chris. Also Youi. Cheapest have been NRMA and GIO in the last few years. I ran the policy through the Meerkats and they couldn't find me any better pricing either. 

#15 4dabush

4dabush

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Car:73 LJ S

Posted 21 June 2024 - 08:54 AM

Don’t come to Cairns then!!! 
about 1/2 the insurers simply won’t insure property in Cairns. In our last house that was closer to the water, still above flood level, didn’t flood last year when many other went under, we had had multiple quotes over $20k. Basically, saying “we don’t want your business” ironically the bank we had our mortgage with who has insurance products, would not insure us! 
Brand new house built 7yrs ago, with all the best cyclone risk we could take, halfway up a hill so no way we will get flooded, with $5k excess is $3,000 a year. 
As Yel327 correctly said, you do have to factor in that building costs in Aust. Have generally increased by 100% since COVID, so, that has to be reflected in the premium unfortunately. 

What we lost with the loss of State Govt Insuance bodies is insurers of last resort.  Imagine living somewhere like Tully, as a basic farm worker, on minimum wages. The house and land is only $300,000 but if you can find an insurer, premiums are 5 figures… no way you can insure in those circumstances…

Edited by 4dabush, 21 June 2024 - 08:58 AM.

#16 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,898 posts
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 21 June 2024 - 10:37 AM

Our house and contents premium is currently $2775 pa. The building has a $1500 excess. The contents have a $500 excess. 

The building itself is grossly under-insured. But its the risk Im taking due to the cost. 

We were not affected by the rains post Cyclone Jasper, although over that 7 day period we received 1387ml of rain. 

From memory 1 of the days (boxing day?) was really bad with about 350ml in a 24 period or maybe more. I remember thinking, Ive never seen rain so heavy and persistent in my life. You might get the odd storm that has heavy rain that last like 30mins... but this was allllllllllll day.... 

But yeah, its pretty common to hear of people with no building insurance up here. A lot of insurers simply wont touch anyone, it was bad before Cyclone Jasper, now its simply ridiculous. 

#17 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,441 posts

Posted 21 June 2024 - 10:45 AM

Our house and contents premium is currently $2775 pa. The building has a $1500 excess. The contents have a $500 excess. 

The building itself is grossly under-insured. But its the risk Im taking due to the cost. 

We were not affected by the rains post Cyclone Jasper, although over that 7 day period we received 1387ml of rain. 

From memory 1 of the days (boxing day?) was really bad with about 350ml in a 24 period or maybe more. I remember thinking, Ive never seen rain so heavy and persistent in my life. You might get the odd storm that has heavy rain that last like 30mins... but this was allllllllllll day.... 

But yeah, its pretty common to hear of people with no building insurance up here. A lot of insurers simply wont touch anyone, it was bad before Cyclone Jasper, now its simply ridiculous. 

I wish mine was that cheap! I think the last one (last August) was $5000+, $2000 excess. It is insured for a decent whack but if I run calculators (both Insurer calculator and independent) I am still close to or under the rebuild cost.

#18 IanC

IanC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Name:Ian
  • Car:LJ XU-1

Posted 21 June 2024 - 10:58 AM

I was with Woolworths insurance. I had a claim around $30,000 for a bathroom Reno. They were great to deal with. And cheap at the time. There premiums went up qute a bit. I moved to seniors insurance as they were much cheaper, and have been the cheapest quote I could find. I also just had a small claim with them. They were pretty slow to deal with. But none the less they too came through in the end. Not sure what premiums I will receive next year. But it is worth changing from time to time. New sign ups get the best deals in my experience.

#19 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,898 posts

Posted 21 June 2024 - 12:58 PM

I wish mine was that cheap! I think the last one (last August) was $5000+, $2000 excess. It is insured for a decent whack but if I run calculators (both Insurer calculator and independent) I am still close to or under the rebuild cost.

I think the insured value of the building is about 1/3 of what it should be. Also having all the car policies offers multi policy discounts. All this makes it hard to compare apples with apples when shopping around. 

#20 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,441 posts

Posted 21 June 2024 - 02:07 PM

I think the insured value of the building is about 1/3 of what it should be. Also having all the car policies offers multi policy discounts. All this makes it hard to compare apples with apples when shopping around. 

True. I used to have a lot of insurance with NRMA which allowed for multi-policy discounts, but I put the Ram with GIO as it is lifetime new for old. Not sure how that works if it gets written off now as the cheapest Ram is now about $115k!

#21 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,000 posts

Posted 21 June 2024 - 04:19 PM

Not sure if we have been down this road before...but just related to underinsurance. Be careful, they sometimes pull the
" co - insurance" clause on you.
E.g. a house that would cost $700k to rebuild in a total loss situation. You insure it for 350k to get a cheap policy amount.
The total loss occurs.. they say you wanted to "co - insure" with them i.e carry some of the risk.
Thus, they assess the damage at say $660k.
Buut, they say you only wanted 1/2 of it insured ( 350k of a 700k house), thus we will give you 1/2 of what damage is..330k.
You are facing self funding the rest, i.e the other 330k.
I think that's how it worked....

Edited by RallyRed, 21 June 2024 - 04:19 PM.

#22 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,898 posts

Posted 21 June 2024 - 06:20 PM

I don’t have any of that wording in my policy. They just asked me what value I wanted to insure the property for and I gave them a figure.

#23 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,000 posts

Posted 21 June 2024 - 07:08 PM

Maybe you are correct Brad, maybe that clause needs to be in the PDS. I just recall when we used to use a broker for insurance, he was always saying to be careful re this.
Regardless, something to be aware of.

Attached Files

#24 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,898 posts

Posted 21 June 2024 - 08:32 PM

Interesting. I’ll have to look into that. I certainly cannot afford to insure the property for its full value so it may be pointless insuring it at all.

Edited by hanra, 21 June 2024 - 08:33 PM.

#25 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 22 June 2024 - 10:13 AM

Interesting. I’ll have to look into that. I certainly cannot afford to insure the property for its full value so it may be pointless insuring it at all.

If you under insure you are likely to find yourself scratching your head if you need to claim for a total loss situation.

After the huge bushfires around Sydney in 1994 quite a few people were very disappointed with their home policies.

While not much of an issue for less than total loss claims, those who lost their homes werent happy.

Just as example numbers.

Policy holder insures their building for $100k, and their contents for $10k.

They lose the lot in a fire.

Insurance assessor comes along to inspect the remains.

The assessor determines that to replace the house will cost $200k, and based on the number of rooms etc, and other indicators, determines that the contents were worth $20k.

The policy holder got a payout of $55k.

The reasoning was that because they under insured by half, the payout would only be half of the policy value.

There was a bit of a stink about it in the media at the time, but the insurers countered by saying the conditions were in their policy statements.

In that example, nobody lost out though.

The public donated enough money and it was administered properly, and everyone got covered whether they were under insured or even not insured.

Ive over insured my house.

Luckily I am not in a high premium area, and the difference in premiums wasnt huge for the extra cover.

But, I will shop around shortly as I need to change my policy with the addition of the shed and other stuff.

Wont likely affect the value of improvements, but will likely increase the contents side of things.

The basic premise of insurance companies is that when they accept your policy, they are betting you wont make a claim.

Exactly the same way places like the TAB work with their business model.

The difference between insurers and the TAB is that the TAB wont change the rules half way through the race.

Cheers

Rob

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users