VerdoroLC

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:1969 LC Torana

Posted 21 June 2024 - 01:14 PM

Gearing aside, is a banjo diff carrier from a HX exactly the same as one from a LC/LJ?

I have the opportunity to get a cheap 3.36 carrier and crown wheel/pinion from a HX which I’m then thinking of mating to a Harrop Truetrac and fine spline billet axles.  The car will be running a worked 202 with a planned 220–230 rwhp through a built trimatic so not enough to warrant a BW or 9”, but still need something more robust than the stock banjo.

To avoid the potential alignment issues of getting 3.36 gears to fit the current 2.78 ‘long bolt’ carrier, I figured it was easier just to get the 3.36 with ‘short bolt’ carrier from the HX provided it bolts straight up to the current housing.

Cheers, Grant

#2 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,441 posts

Posted 21 June 2024 - 02:17 PM

Of course Torana is the same as Holden! GMH wouldn't have made them different. You want a 3.36-3.90 "pumpkin", this is the traditional 6cyl grey iron carrier, you won't find any of these behind a V8, I don't think I've ever heard of one and it was never an option. The nodular V8 carrier is the 2.78/3.08 unit.

I think you have to adjust or change the housing though as there will be studs missing. I've never done it, others here might know, you might be able to find some short set screws to use where the nodular carrier uses long bolts.

#3 VerdoroLC

VerdoroLC

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 June 2024 - 02:36 PM

Of course Torana is the same as Holden! GMH wouldn't have made them different. You want a 3.36-3.90 "pumpkin", this is the traditional 6cyl grey iron carrier, you won't find any of these behind a V8, I don't think I've ever heard of one and it was never an option. The nodular V8 carrier is the 2.78/3.08 unit.

I think you have to adjust or change the housing though as there will be studs missing. I've never done it, others here might know, you might be able to find some short set screws to use where the nodular carrier uses long bolts.

Thanks mate, I just wasn't sure if the basic architecture of the banjo, save for the long bolt/short bolt variation, was the same across the entire Holden range

#4 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,441 posts

Posted 21 June 2024 - 03:51 PM

Be assured they ae the same, not only on Holden but on Statesman, Torana, Sunbird and local Toyota and wherever they were used. The crown wheel, pinion and centre continued on the baby Salisbury used in UC, VB-VH, WB, Gemini etc. I think the early ones (like pre-HD maybe) are a little different, not sure of compatibility on those. I'm not certain of the manufacturing origins, but the early V8 centres were made by Borg Warner. At some stage GMH started making them, not certain when, it was supposed to be when you could get a V8 centre without LSD but it has never been clear when that happened. However, if you get a 3.36 out of a HQ-HZ it will fit a Torana, axle splines and housing compatibility (requiring studs rather than bolts on the lower attachment) aside.

#5 VerdoroLC

VerdoroLC

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 June 2024 - 05:22 PM

Be assured they ae the same, not only on Holden but on Statesman, Torana, Sunbird and local Toyota and wherever they were used. The crown wheel, pinion and centre continued on the baby Salisbury used in UC, VB-VH, WB, Gemini etc. I think the early ones (like pre-HD maybe) are a little different, not sure of compatibility on those. I'm not certain of the manufacturing origins, but the early V8 centres were made by Borg Warner. At some stage GMH started making them, not certain when, it was supposed to be when you could get a V8 centre without LSD but it has never been clear when that happened. However, if you get a 3.36 out of a HQ-HZ it will fit a Torana, axle splines and housing compatibility (requiring studs rather than bolts on the lower attachment) aside.

Very helpful info, much appreciated.

#6 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,485 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 21 June 2024 - 08:09 PM

They are basically interchangeable from 48 FX I believe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users