8 replies to this topic

#1 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,459 posts

Posted 18 September 2024 - 10:18 AM

Just read this. For 5 years from 2026, under the WAU banner. Running a 5.0L V8 2UR-GSE engine. We saw this engine in Australia in the Lexus IS F. It's the same family of engine that we got here as a 4.6L 1UR-FE in 200 Series Landcruiser and as a 5.7L 3UR-FE in the Lexus LX570 (Landcruiser base), also found in imported Tundras. In the IS F they were around 350kW, I have seen a stock (but tuned with exhaust) and supercharged 4.6L showing in excess of 350kW or so at the back wheels in a Landcruiser.

I'm not a V8 Supercars fan anymore, but this might shake it up a little bit and bring some other fans into the mix?

#2 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,309 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 September 2024 - 10:56 AM

And they will be racing against a car not available in Australia since the end of 2023. It is hard to get exited about a sport that has so little relevance to the motoring public here.  Mustang is the only one that makes sense. 

#3 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,459 posts

Posted 18 September 2024 - 01:18 PM

One of the reasons I'm not interested anymore. Might attract a different kind of Bogan though, like Nissan, Sierras etc did in GroupA after GroupC was essentially a Torana then Commodore dominated thing from around 1979 until GroupA was adopted. Over the history of the GroupC to GroupA to V8 Supercars from the mid 60's, it was essentially Mustang then Camaro dominated with the lone Monaro in 1970. Then after 1972 moved into Falcon and Torana domination until it became basically Torana and Commodore. Now wound back to Mustang and Camaro. Then we add back in Toyota top the mix! Sort of like Ground Hog day. 

#4 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 18 September 2024 - 01:22 PM

I thought that they would be running the Toyota pushrod V8 engine they made for NASCAR.

I don't see a problem with racing cars that are not sold retail in Australia. Sierras weren't, early Mustangs & Camaros weren't. Look at the 12hr Bathurst grid, all types of exotics.

Dr Terry

#5 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,459 posts

Posted 18 September 2024 - 02:09 PM

From what I read Terry they are wanting to promote the GR brand (Gazoo Racing), and they use the 2UR-GSE in the South African based race/rally Dakar Hilux. And they used a 5.4L version of it in a Lexus RC in GT3.

I don't have an issue with it either Terry, it broadens the appeal rather than has it limited to two shapes/badges. I liked it in when the Camaros were introduced into the GroupC mix, RX7 too. Same with DJ's Mustang later on. Just adds some more interest to the front runner cars.

#6 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 18 September 2024 - 03:07 PM

I don't have an issue with it either Terry, it broadens the appeal rather than has it limited to two shapes/badges. I liked it in when the Camaros were introduced into the GroupC mix, RX7 too. Same with DJ's Mustang later on. Just adds some more interest to the front runner cars.

Absolutely, the more makes the better. It quite boring when it's a parity formula.

Dr Terry

#7 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 18 September 2024 - 05:22 PM

Good news, assuming Chev / Ford doesn't pull out upon Toyo's entry.

#8 FLY_LX

FLY_LX

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Car:LX sedan

Posted 18 September 2024 - 05:51 PM

I dont watch anymore but more makes should make for a better series. 

And apparently Toyota are bringing back the Celica & MR2, its good when a car guy (Mr Toyoda) runs a car company, opposed to bean counters

#9 Bruiser

Bruiser

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Name:Bruce
  • Car:FC Holden, VK Commodore, - Ex torana owner

Posted 18 September 2024 - 05:58 PM

What happened to the last attempt to make it interesting with the Mercs and JD Nissans running around?
Didn’t seem to last too long, few years maybe
Aren’t the cars now all basically the same underneath the panels anyway?
Just like the little Aussie car series used to be
just choose your fibreglass body shape and you’re away
I see plenty of new Mustangs around, but can’t recall ever seeing a Camaro anywhere.
They both look like Mazdas to me anyway - we’ll have bloody Dodge Challengers next
And change our name to the United States of Australia
Maybe having Toyota around would open the door to other modern companies
and appeal to the modern generation of ricers
Marketing strategy, maybe?
V8 supercar could end up like another episode of a fast and furious movie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users