Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Name:Nando Barbanera
  • Car:LC 2 door V8

Posted 14 October 2024 - 07:40 PM

Hi There

My 308 Trimatic setup has had a shifter out of a 80s Gemini fitted to it (linkages are on the drivers side of the box).

I bought a factory (see pic attached) with what appears to be orientated with the linkages on the right hand side.

I have seen a thread on this site with the measurements of where to cut the hole relative to the handbrake bolt hole and all that (assuming mine doesn't have the whole already cut out.

Has anyone had any experience setting one of the these up with a 308/trimatic combo?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Nando

Attached Files

#2 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,534 posts

Posted 15 October 2024 - 06:11 AM

It shouldn't move. Any other Holden or Torana that offered 6cycl and M40 or V8 M40 all used the same shifter and rear mount. So you should be able to put the console shifter in the 6cyl location and operate the Trimatic as if it was a 6cyl car.

Just be careful that you have the shifter around the right way, the way the gate works will tell you. Prior to a HQ a Holden with a Trimatic was left shift (as in traditional TH180), they made an internal crossover mechanism to make them RH shift for column shift vehicles. Not sure if LC Torana Trimatic were all RH shift or if console shift were LH shift.

#3 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 15 October 2024 - 06:28 AM

AFAIK all LC/LJ RHD Trimatic were RH shift, both column & console type.

Dr Terry

#4 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,534 posts

Posted 15 October 2024 - 11:51 AM

^^There is your answer!

#5 nanbar

nanbar

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 October 2024 - 04:05 PM

Thank you very much yel327 and Dr Terry, very much appreciated. I had saved pics of heaps of Toranas with that shifter ad knew what it needed to look like from inside the cabin, wasn't sure about position on the tunnel and left right linkage. You blokes are champions, thanks.

Cheers

Nando

#6 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,534 posts

Posted 15 October 2024 - 04:18 PM

I'm not all that up on V8 LC-LJ conversions but wherever the 6cyl engine and Trimatic fits a 253/308 and Trimatic will fit. You just have to have the sump made to clear and have the larger bellhousing clear which I'm pretty sure it does. Then as far as the gearbox crossmember, speedo cable, tailshaft and shifter are concerned they see no difference. I know there are other things to address like exhaust and starter motor but those are ancillary issues. The other thing to consider I guess (and people here will advise you) is whether you are better off with HQ to WB engine mount adapters or LH-LX. I think one of them sits the engine a fraction lower?

#7 nanbar

nanbar

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 October 2024 - 04:37 PM

@Dr Terry Wondering if I can get some further help from you or other re the electrical side of the auto shifter.

I have to match up the wires on my existing shifter

1. In picture 1, can Dr Terry or anyone else tell me the function of each of the 4 spades from left to right please?

2. The wiring loom that came with it has yellow green red brown and white wires. I can see where the yellow and green go so they are good from a plug point of view but where do they go?. The brown and white wires come from the selector illumination light but not sure where they go. the brown has a u shaped spade which looks like it goes to ground, I can match the light one on the existing shifter set up.

3. The Gemini shifter has 5 wires, my Torana one has 4, what do I do, any clues?

4. The Gemini shifter inhibitor switch has a switch which follows the stick from P R N D. I assume four of the five wires are for the above? What's the fifth one for? Or have I got this all wrong.

The third picture is the gemini shifter switch.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Nando

Attached Files

Edited by nanbar, 19 October 2024 - 04:44 PM.

#8 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,630 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 19 October 2024 - 08:58 PM

My guess is the the Yellow and Green are the reverse lights switch and the red & brown are the inhibitor switch which is normally Violet coloured wires.

A test with a multimeter will tell you in minutes which switches do what when reverse, neutral and park are selected.

The LJ had a separate wire for the selector illumination.

#9 nanbar

nanbar

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 October 2024 - 10:04 PM

My guess is the the Yellow and Green are the reverse lights switch and the red & brown are the inhibitor switch which is normally Violet coloured wires.

A test with a multimeter will tell you in minutes which switches do what when reverse, neutral and park are selected.

The LJ had a separate wire for the selector illumination.

Thanks Dave. Multimeter and Simple dont go well together with me.

Edited by nanbar, 19 October 2024 - 10:06 PM.

#10 nanbar

nanbar

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 October 2024 - 06:36 PM

UPDATE

I positioned the shifter and its pretty close. All the gears seem to select but it needs a tweak to get it perfect.

I found that the two red wires in the gemini inhibitor switch went nowhere so the two switches use four wires.

I made up some temp wires from the gemini loom connector to the torana shifter inhibitor switch and tried to match them position. it wouldnt start in park at first then found in started in reverse. The adjustment screws did allow enough adjustment so I swapped wires around and bingo it started in Park and Neutral but not other gears.

I think Ill get a mobile auto elec to sort it from here as I am no good with a multimeter and cant find any diagrams which tell me what the 4 pins on the switch do.

Thanks for all your help thus far.

Cheers

Nando

#11 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,037 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 20 October 2024 - 06:58 PM

Msy/ may not be useful?

Attached Files

#12 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,534 posts

Posted 20 October 2024 - 09:19 PM

No rocket science in it. Front two are reverse lamps (into indicator circuits) and top two are the start inhibit. If the car was originally a column shift there will be sockets up in the harness for both. Just find them and put spades in the wires coming from the t-bar and plug them in. If the car was a manual it may have a shorting plug where the start inhibit wires go to.

#13 nanbar

nanbar

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 October 2024 - 10:03 PM

No rocket science in it. Front two are reverse lamps (into indicator circuits) and top two are the start inhibit. If the car was originally a column shift there will be sockets up in the harness for both. Just find them and put spades in the wires coming from the t-bar and plug them in. If the car was a manual it may have a shorting plug where the start inhibit wires go to.

Thanks yell, sounds simple enough. It was a column shift manual originally. By shorting plug, do you mean like the looped brown wire on the dash side of of the connector in the pic? The two red wires do nothing. I assume the larger diameter black wires are the start inhibit. its the looped brown wire and black wire that do something with the reverse lights I guess.

Attached Files

Edited by nanbar, 20 October 2024 - 10:04 PM.

#14 Rockoz

Rockoz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,005 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted Yesterday, 10:18 AM

Might find that the other 2 connections are for illumination.

Cheers

Rob

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

gad05