PINKLJ73

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts
  • Name:andrew
  • Car:LJ torana SL

Posted 19 October 2024 - 05:17 PM

I have started to get my grandfather's LJ Torana back up and running. This is how she currently is.
Today I removed the water pump. There was a bit of corrosion near the hose connection so time to order a new one.
Rear left drum brake seems to be stuck on. I can wiggle it slightly back and forward. I
think the pads have engaged and won't release.
Any ideas ? There is brake fluid in the reservoir for the front brakes, but the rear side was empty?
Also any recommendations for a great detail workshop manual.

Andrew

Attached Files

#2 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 19 October 2024 - 08:14 PM

The shoes are stuck to the inside of the drum most likely, as you say. Try and free it up by belting it from the side around the circumference, without getting too carried away. Next option is go apply some heat to the drum, gently with oxy, or fiercely with map. The fun begins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#3 sibhs

sibhs

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,707 posts
  • Name:Martin
  • Car:LJ Coupe S

Posted 20 October 2024 - 10:45 AM

G'day Andrew, nice looking original engine bay.

The best workshop manual is the LC Holden one with the marone coloured cover. It's very thick and covers most LJ stuff. They can be bought second hand for about a $100 if you keep your eyes open. Otherwise the standard LJ Torana workshop manual put out by Haynes and another brand should get you out of trouble for about $20 second hand.

Make sure your hand brake is off and belt the drums with a hammer around the out side and on the outer flat to loosen. 

Marty

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users